Cadillac Owners Forum banner
90K views 330 replies 98 participants last post by  bpitas 
#1 ·
Well I got bored today so I decided to try and rid myself of this damn wheelhop. It seems pretty obvious what the problem is with these bushings, they are just incredibly soft. In an effort to firm them up I decided to just shim them. The job was super easy to do, just put the ass end on jackstands, support the diff with a jack, pull the front 2 cradle bolts and let the diff down slowly until you have enough room to work.

I trimmed the rubber bushings down to the point they had a nice flat surface which lets the first 1.25" washer fit over the metal part of the bushing.

I ended up using 2 washers on top and bottom which compresses that bushing close to 1/2". Using the jack to lift the cradle back up and center the upper washers made it a piece of cake.

Unfortunatly I could only find 1.25" washers so I was only able to do the front cradle bushings so far. I'll be picking up some 1.75" washers to do the same to the rear two bushings as well.

Before dropping the clutch at 5k on dry pavement resulted in wheelhop that would give ya a nose bleed. Now it only has a slight little wiggle that you can barely feel and the tires lay a perfectly smooth patch of rubber down. I've still got a little hop when I grab second hard but its only half of what it was before. Hopefully after doing the same to the rear bushings it will be even better. All in all I have to say I’m really pleased with the results. All in all i'm very happy with it. It was a dramatic improvement on the wheelhop and absolutely no increase in interior noise since there is no metal-on-metal contact. :spin:

See less See more
#329 ·
So...... Is there any final verdict? I feel like I just read a really really long book only to find that the last chapter wasn't printed...
"bpitas" Seemed like you had something going there.... Any other results?

Although I havent ever experienced the wheel hop, just want to know what to do if it appears in the future.

#331 ·
Honestly if I could go back and start over, I would have approached things completely differently.
1) Custom axles, as that's the only thing that has been proven to work most of the time
2) I wouldn't have lowered my car with the k-sport kit - it made the car less drivable, and even if it handles better in some situations, not having the nivomat rear shocks kinda stinks because if you load up the trunk it droops in the rear. I SHOULD have just gotten the FG2s and Hotchkis swaybars.

The design I made sorta worked, but it definitely transmits more noise into the cabin, which you can live with for a little while, but gets old fast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.