CTS-V's take 1st and 2nd at Speed GT opener!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, CTS-V's take 1st and 2nd at Speed GT opener! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I was at the race today in Sebring and wow, what a clinic Andy Pilgrim put on. I won't say ...
    nupeskee is offline Cadillac Owners Member

CTS-V's take 1st and 2nd at Speed GT opener!

I was at the race today in Sebring and wow, what a clinic Andy Pilgrim put on. I won't say any more because the race will be on Sunday and I don't want to spoil it for those waiting to watch, but if you absolutley have to know post here and I will provide details. I have up close pics of the cars also and will post them next week once I get back home. The offical stuff is below.

The Team Cadillac CTS-V's in dominating fashion pretty much blew away the GT field today. Max Angelelli took over the lead from Michael Galati and cruised to victory while his teammate Andy Pilgrim, left on the starting grid with a clutch problem, motored easily through the field to finish second.

While Angelelli circulated in the lead posting consistent 2:12's and 2:13's Pilgrim made up a near half lap deficit turning 2:10's lap after lap to finish second less than a half second behind. No one would admit as to why that was except for maybe that Angelelli didn't need to turn the wick up quite as much as Pilgrim did.

The Cadillac team left no doubt that their beautifully turned out Mobil 1/Bose CTS-V's were well tested and ready to rock and roll. The Mobil 1/Motorola/Bose Cadillac CTS-V race cars look great, sound great and are awesome race cars!

When asked if he felt that his car held an unfair advantage Angelelli said, "Yes, we do have an unfair advantage. We have been here 6 days (Sebring) testing. This is our best track."

WCGT Race report

The start of the SPEED World Challenge GT race was quite simply almost frightening. The sound of all of that horsepower waiting anxiously for the lights to go out and start the event was deafening and when they leave it plays like something between a jail break and rush hour traffic played in fast forward.

If you are thinking about going to a World Challenge event do so if for nothing else but to catch the start of the race. At ground level it is downright scary!

Add to all of the usual drama consider that Andy Pilgrim's #8 Mobil 1/Motorola/Bose Cadillac was left sitting on the grid as the rest of the 32 car field rocketed past. It was testimony to the talent in World Challenge that Pilgrim's Cadillac finally left the grid in pristine condition.

At any rate, to the surprise of almost no one Randy Pobst and Michael Galati got their Audi Certified Pre-Owned Audi RS-6's to and through turn one first.

"This is great," Michael Galati thought to himself.

His joy and certainly all of Randy's happiness vanished as Pobst went straight off in turn 3. The belts came off the car leaving the #1 Audi with no power steering or alternator. The problem relegated Pobst to a 26th place finish some 2 laps down.

Galati meanwhile maintained the lead in the opening laps with Angelelli, Tommy Archer, Phil McClure, Bob Woodhouse and Leighton Reese in hot pursuit. Galati's lead would only last a couple of laps as Max Angelelli's CTS-V slid past Galati's RS 6 on lap 3. Max would never lose the lead.

Soon the top of the order settled into a 4 car break away of Angelelli, Galati, McClure and Archer with Bob Woodson in the Woodson Auto Family Dodge Viper trying to hang onto 5th position with Leighton Reese and his black Banner Engineering Chevy Corvette right behind.

Behind them were John Tonelli in the Westboro Dodge Viper in 7th, Tony Gaples in his newly revitalized Black Dog Racing Corvette in 8th, Tim Wiens driving the 1st Interstate Inns/3 R Racing Dodge Viper in 9th and Michael Culver in his First Racing Porsche 911 Cup car in 10th. Tonelli would eventually finish 8th with Wiens and Culver finishing 10th and 12th respectively.

While all of this was going on and Pilgrim was moving through the pack John Young and Lou Gigliotti had to start at the back of the field for various reasons. Young's car was underweight in qualifying and Gigliotti had damaged a couple of tires in a qualifying get together and opted for new rubber and a bad starting position.

Young and his Apex Racing Saleen SR had a great run and passed Leighton Reese on the last lap to capture 6th position. Young fought his way through many cars and high oil temperatures (in the 305 degree range) in a great run.

"It's worn out," Young said of his trusty Saleen with a smile. "And so am I!"

Gigliotti didn't fare quite so well in his LG Long Tube Header Chevy Corvette as he was the second to last to leave the grid and had an off course excursion as well. Considering all of this Gigliotti finished a decent 13th. Particularly in light of his starting position.

Back to the front of the pack Angelelli's move to P1 left Michael to deal with first the 3R Racing/c3controls Dodge Viper of Tommy Archer and then Archer gave way to 3R Racing teammate Phil McClure who started hounding Galati for real as Galati was smoking up the tires on a regular basis to hang onto second position.

McClure and his Aggregate Industries/3R Racing Chevy Corvette Z06 looked to have a shot at Galati but just about the time Pilgrim's Cadillac was catching this group McClure seemed to slow slightly. First McClure gave way to Pilgrim going down the back straight and then immediately let Archer past going into turn 1. Soon his Corvette started to sound very sick and he crackled and popped his way home still finishing 5th.

Tommy Archer was left to settle for 4th 2.4seconds behind Galati who was in turn 3.8 seconds arrears of the Cadillacs.

Leighton Reese got his Banner Engineering Corvette past Woodson into 5th and looked as if he could even close on McClure who was in 4th at the time but by the halfway point Reese seemed to be content to stay where he was.

Actually Reese started having fuel starvation and he started short shifting and the car started to increasingly starve for fuel in turns. By the end of the race both the car and driver were running out of gas.

Reese finished 7th and rookie Bob Woodson finished a strong 9th.

"It's been two years since I've been in a race car," admitted a very tired Reese after the race. "The car ran out of gas and I ran out of talent!"

WCTC Post Race report

Michael Galati won the Remus Power Move of the race probably for blasting his way from 7th on the grid to 2nd exiting turn one.

"I'm going to try drag racing now," Michael joked after the race.

Mike McCann won the Sunoco Hard Charger award going from 32nd on the grid to an 11th place finish in his McCann Plastics Dodge Viper.

Well that is it for now. I can't believe that the season has started. Too bad we have to wait so long for round two! Hope to see you all there!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JEM
    JEM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: CTS-V's take 1st and 2nd at Speed GT opener!

So I guess Gigliotti was right, the organizers did give Cadillac a 10% HP-to-weight advantage over everyone else:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zero...860#1546190860

rueben44 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I now have a new desktop picture. It is of the 2 V's coming in 1st and 2nd...so sweet.

ktills45 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by JEM
    So I guess Gigliotti was right, the organizers did give Cadillac a 10% HP-to-weight advantage over everyone else:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zero...860#1546190860
    Jem, thanks for that post, it puts this race into perspective. I'm still happy for Caddy, but I expect and hope this was a one time advantage.

funkcity is offline Cadillac Owners Member

JEM aka jemiller?

I see this is the Vette site you were referring to over at Edmunds.

Good info.

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

I too am happy for Cadillac but it hardly sems fair.
    55 more hp is a lot to overcome.

Mbai2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS DI 6 Speed Manual Black/Black w/ FE3 Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by rueben44
    I now have a new desktop picture. It is of the 2 V's coming in 1st and 2nd...so sweet.
    Where did you get the photo? I want one!

BlueMalibu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6 Sport, 6-Speed

For those that don't know......the Speed GT series is known for adding or deleting weight of cars to "equalize" the field. In racing, weight is the primary factor for speed - that is why in almost every series there are minimum weights.

In Speed Gt, if you come up with a way to be faster you will be penalized by having to add weight. It makes for good TV. Unfortunately, teams, drivers, and manufacturers are penalized for good performance. Some teams, of course, sand bag. It also creates a lot of lobbying and pleading and who knows what else.

IMO, Sad. I understand why they do it (ratings) but I don't watch it.

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMalibu
    For those that don't know......the Speed GT series is known for adding or deleting weight of cars to "equalize" the field. In racing, weight is the primary factor for speed - that is why in almost every series there are minimum weights.

In Speed Gt, if you come up with a way to be faster you will be penalized by having to add weight. It makes for good TV. Unfortunately, teams, drivers, and manufacturers are penalized for good performance. Some teams, of course, sand bag. It also creates a lot of lobbying and pleading and who knows what else.

IMO, Sad. I understand why they do it (ratings) but I don't watch it.
    They add 75lbs. to the winning car of each race in the series(all placing cars receive some lesser amount) up to a maximum of 275lbs. The added weight is removed if they place poorly in the following race though.

After the V's performance at Sebring though, I hardly think that the 75lbs. will lessen it's chances. Speed's in-car audio/video shows that the CTS-V's were barely being pushed during Sebring. There are turns where the drivers were using no throttle whatsoever and weren't really hammering it coming out of them either...

I'm afraid that the SCCA will rule against the V and come up with some kind of restriction beyond the additional weight. The drivers were playing it safe and holding back so the inevitable verdict against them wouldn't be so harsh. Coming from a stalled car on the starting grid and last place all the way to second place(the car walked, no ran, past everyone else on the straights)is going to cause a stir. Obviously our number one car wasn't pushing itself to the limit.

Either way, it was impressive. The V, with it's unique edges and chrome mesh grill really stands out on the track.

rueben44 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Mbai2
    Where did you get the photo? I want one!
    Here is a link:

http://www.speedarena.com/news/uploa...rtscar/023.jpg

I just blew mine up a bit.

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

To see a virtual reality view from the other cars in the GT World Challenge races this year, stand about 20 feet from your monitor and scroll down:

Ah yes, so real, it's almost like staring through the windshield of a BMW (or I should say Audi, for the Bimmer effect, you should step back another 20 feet).

So real I can almost smell the bavarian engineering...

ktills45 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Goth,

ChiMick is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Awesommmme baybeeee!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.