CTS-V Tire change (labrat)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, CTS-V Tire change (labrat) in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hello all! I'm pulling the trigger today! Dropping the runflats for some ContiSportContact2s: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes Not my first choice but I'm ...
    WhiteLightning is offline Cadillac Owners Member

CTS-V Tire change (labrat)

Hello all!

I'm pulling the trigger today! Dropping the runflats for some ContiSportContact2s:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Not my first choice but I'm ok with them over the runflats. The shop tells me (and I have trouble believing due to the rarity of these cars) that 255/45R18s won't fit, they've tried. That I can only do the stock 245/45R18s. The rolling diameter difference is small (less then 1.5% change):

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
    245/45-18 4.3in 13.3in 26.7in 83.8in 756 0.0%
    255/45-18 4.5in 13.5in 27.0in 84.9in 746 1.3%
    255/40-18 4.0in 13.0in 26.0in 81.8in 775 -2.4%

So, two thoughts:
    ONE - I'll give you the news later tonight on hop etc.
    TWO - Should I force them to try the 255s?

WL

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

lasstss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: CTS-V Tire change (labrat)

Thats nonsense. They will fit fine . I had 285's on a 9" wheel. Worked and wore fine. Speedo might be a tad off.

Ok- I'll blame you

WL

Quote Originally Posted by lasstss
    Thats nonsense. They will fit fine . I had 285's on a 9" wheel. Worked and wore fine. Speedo might be a tad off.

CTSV OWNER is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV

Does to GM Tech 2 scan tool have the tire size 255/45R-18 in the calibration sizes? If yes then speedo error is not a issue

miscreant is offline GM Connection

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteLightning
    Hello all!

I'm pulling the trigger today! Dropping the runflats for some ContiSportContact2s:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Not my first choice but I'm ok with them over the runflats. The shop tells me (and I have trouble believing due to the rarity of these cars) that 255/45R18s won't fit, they've tried. That I can only do the stock 245/45R18s. The rolling diameter difference is small (less then 1.5% change):

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
    245/45-18 4.3in 13.3in 26.7in 83.8in 756 0.0%
    255/45-18 4.5in 13.5in 27.0in 84.9in 746 1.3%
    255/40-18 4.0in 13.0in 26.0in 81.8in 775 -2.4%

So, two thoughts:
    ONE - I'll give you the news later tonight on hop etc.
    TWO - Should I force them to try the 255s?

WL
    Well...I'll chime in on the opposing side.
    Speaking front's here only...And speaking about CTS Sports, not V's, BUT Suspension geometry is virtually identical, but with much less body roll, so you decide...
    We've had several 255/45R18s that DID NOT work on Sport Package CTS's here. Had to refit them with 40 series rubber. In fact, none of them did. Cost us alot of mulla. Either they would scape the upper arm pivot joint, or scrape the front of the facia on hard turns...

In fact, we just put 245/45R18's (Nitto's which run *big*) on a Sport CTS and the customer ended up bringing them back in a couple days with a big chunk taken out of the sidewall from the facia...

NOW, this is completely dependent on offsets, but remember, too steep and you'll hit the upper arm pivot joint, and too shallow and you'll scrape the fender...

NOW, additionally, keep in mind that the F1 Supercar tires are SMALLER than just about any other tires in the same size. The 245/45R18 F1's are about 26.4" tall, and about 9.2" in section diameter. The Nittos we had were about 26.8" tall and almost 9.8" in section diameter (nitto's own specs are not right on most of their tires).

I'm inclined to believe that 255/45R18 tires, unless selected correctly, will be too large for the fronts. Reach inside your wheel well and locate the upper pivot joint - it's like a fraction of an inch from your tire now.

I've just recently got back from the CTS-V driving school at Texas Motor speedway. They had three custom V's there, and ALL of them sported a staggered front to rear pattern (245/45 front and 275/40 rears). I'm further inclined to think this is probably the way to go...
    2004 Cadillac CTS (**SOLD** ): http://www.ctsowners.com
    2004 Pontiac GTO: http://www.myyellowgto.com

JEM
    JEM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Missing a critical point here:

The spec rim size for the 245/45-18 is 8in. The spec rim size for the 255/45-18 is 8.5in. A tire's section width changes 0.2in for every 0.5in in rim size variation. Make sure you're comparing apples to apples in width. The Tire Rack site doesn't give tread widths for these tires.

Also, curiously enough, the 255/45-18 ContiSportContact 2 is a reinforced (XL) tire. For SUV use, or for some particularly heavy vehicles (Benz S600s)? Their 245/45-18 is available in both standard-load and reinforced.

Clintonwmills is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Is there anyway to keep the rims and just get new tires, still fixing the wheel hope problem? I would love to keep the rims, they look nice!) I don't mind leaving the 245 in front and changeing to a 275 in the back. Miscreant, how was the driving school? That seems awesome!

All-

Ok. I'm back. It didn't go 100% as planned.

ONE: Didn't do the conti's. Did P-Zeros.
    TWO: They nicked 3 of the four rims and scratched the fourth.
    THREE: 255/45R18 PZERO Asimmetrico hasn't hit/rubbed anything yet.
    FOUR: Shop (not brilliant, nice guys but ugh) says the rim measures more like a 9".
    FIVE: (and the big big big deal....) Still hops. Not as bad, I can launch harder, but no burnouts.

WL

Quote Originally Posted by Clintonwmills
    Is there anyway to keep the rims and just get new tires, still fixing the wheel hope problem? I would love to keep the rims, they look nice!) I don't mind leaving the 245 in front and changeing to a 275 in the back. Miscreant, how was the driving school? That seems awesome!

nandanrp is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Sorry to hear they scratched your rims :madtalkin

Those new tires should have saved you some weight too, since they aren't run flats.

miscreant is offline GM Connection

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteLightning
    All-

Ok. I'm back. It didn't go 100% as planned.

ONE: Didn't do the conti's. Did P-Zeros.
    TWO: They nicked 3 of the four rims and scratched the fourth.
    THREE: 255/45R18 PZERO Asimmetrico hasn't hit/rubbed anything yet.
    FOUR: Shop (not brilliant, nice guys but ugh) says the rim measures more like a 9".
    FIVE: (and the big big big deal....) Still hops. Not as bad, I can launch harder, but no burnouts.

WL
    Wow. That's encouraging. Zero's tend to run pretty big. That's good news.
    2004 Cadillac CTS (**SOLD** ): http://www.ctsowners.com
    2004 Pontiac GTO: http://www.myyellowgto.com

JEM

Quote Originally Posted by Clintonwmills
    The problem there is that sidewall support for a 275/40 tire will be really marginal on an 8.5in wheel, particularly if you're still running the much-better-supported 245/45s in front. So on turn-in the rear is going to be squirrelly.

lasstss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

The P-O's are a good tire, a lot less road noise also . I had the 285's on my impala, trick little P-O in yellow. I think your headed in the right direction. A shock with a bit more damping or inflatable air bags will probably get rid of the wheel hop problem IMO. I will be doing the stock rim offset up front with the 275's on the rear. Rear clearance is good . An 18" wheel can go about 1/2" more negative. A 19 " can probably go 1.0".

JEM

The PZero Asimmetrico is a very good tire, good ride, very good grip though the asymmetrical design is more important for Macstrut cars with a poor camber curve. They don't last all that long, though.

Note that the 'PZero' name actually encompasses a bunch of different tires, the old Asimmetrico/Directionale and the new Nero are the serious-grip items, the Rosso is a softer/less serious tire.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.