Would you drive your V in winter?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Would you drive your V in winter? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Just curious. If the V is your only car, would it dare see the snow? Throw some winter tires on ...
    nandanrp is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Would you drive your V in winter?

Just curious. If the V is your only car, would it dare see the snow?

Throw some winter tires on there (I'd hate to be on those Eagles in the snow!) and it could be decent, but would ya do it? Anyone know how much an extra set of OEM CTS-V 6-lug wheels would cost (for the snow tires)?

My family has a 2003 CTS Luxury Sport 5MT, 3rd one ordered in the state of Michigan :coolgleam It does ok in the snow

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

globed70 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: Would you drive your V in winter?

As long as you throw some excellent snow rubber on the car, why not? Because of the low gearing, you could start out of 2nd gear. Not sure if you will find inexpensive wheels to fit... presumeably you would want to move down in size to 17" or something... see what TireRack has for snow tires in the 18" size (at least you could always get another set of stock wheels).

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

I agree.....

New tires are COMPLETELY necessary...

I would however stepping down to maybe a set of 16" CTS wheels because thats about all they make them for, not much bigger than 17in

That said, the wider the tire, the worse it does in the snow. Ideally for snow travels you want a tall, skinny tire...

First of all I doubt anything smaller than 18" would fit over those GIANT 14" brake rotors and 4-pot Brembos ( I love em). Furthermore, since they are six-lug wheels with an "abnormal" offset, the aftermarket is lacking pretty heavily at this time (i.e. tire rack and discount tire have nothing). If I owned a V I would probably cough up the extra cash for a set of OEM wheels and put some good snow rubber on those. Any V owners know how much those wheels go for? I imagine they would be expensive, since they are OEM...

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Im sorry, i didnt factor those things in...

GOTTA love having a basically ultra modded car right from the factory.

Vrocks is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

The V is my only car and I'll drive it in light snow 3-4 inches. I don't plan on changing the tires because I figure that if my vette went in the snow with regular tires the V should too. Although the vette was a handfull at times I'd have to guess that my experiences with the vette in the snow were as bad as it gets.

aarp cts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Pt. No. 09595354, about $675 apiece.

benjet is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

$675 is GM parts Retail (here is the quote based on that pt# - assuming that it is correct) from Gmpartsdirect -

GM PART # 9595354
    CATEGORY: Wheels
    PACK QTY: 1CORE CHARGE: $0.00
    GM LIST: $632.15
    OUR PRICE: $372.97DESCRIPTION: WHL18X8.5

globed70 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Bridgestone has Blizzak LM-22 (high perf winter tires) available in 18" with widths and aspect ratios which should work... check their site. If you can wait until next winter, then more rims should be available. Other $$$ issue will be whether you want the convenience of TPMs installed on the new wheels.

ktills45 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I would definitley drive mine in winter, cause that would mean I owned one.

Neoflex is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Definatly Not, I don't even drive my 3.6 in the snow...

Quote Originally Posted by Neoflex
    Definatly Not, I don't even drive my 3.6 in the snow...
    Neoflex, is it because it's not as capable in the snow as another car, or is it because you want to keep it pristene? If it was my only car, I would buy another set of wheels and throw winter tires on it as I said before.

$675 a wheel is insane! $373 sounds a little better, but that's getting up into the price range of some forged wheels (I think some Volks?). Any specs on the OEM wheel? Weight? If the OEM wheel is forged, the V just keeps getting better and better

I looked up the Eagle F1 Supercars on tirerack, they are like $380 a pop! Could you imagine paying more per tire than the wheel

Vrocks, you drive your V with the F1 Supercars on it in 3-4 inches!? Wow I'm amazed you can even move . It is a summer tire right? My dad had a GTO home (preproduction, so it had Bridgstone Potenza summer tires on it, not the factory all-season BFGs) and it would NOT MOVE on half an inch of snow. Pitiful.

Just to clarify, I don't own a V (yet) but I might down the road. It would be my only car, so I just thought I'd see what other owners have to say. Yeah elwesso, factory performance is sweet

Good point about the TPMs globed70. How exactly is it done? Magnetic sensor? I have no idea....

galaxyquest is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Great topic. I have already driven my V in the snow, and have experienced black ice and all. Well, this is one of hose things that you have to consider when getting into such a vehicle. At least we have a cluch to help out with the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by galaxyquest
    Great topic. I have already driven my V in the snow, and have experienced black ice and all. Well, this is one of hose things that you have to consider when getting into such a vehicle. At least we have a cluch to help out with the situation.
    Stock tires? How'd the car handle it?

CTSV OWNER is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV

Nope I have a AWD Astro for that. My CTSV gets driven in all other weather so far. The guys at work thought I was nutz for driveing it in the rain the first week I owned it. (more like the bank and me) My 03 Jeff Gordon Signature Edition is in the garage so my poor Caddy sits out in the weather.
    Anyone want to buy a pristine 800 mile '03 M/C SS Jeff Gordon ed. for $22,000

I was considering a set of rims for my DOT MT's for when I go to the strip, but the payments are hard enough.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.