Would you drive your V in winter? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Would you drive your V in winter? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I don't drive it because I have a beater I use for the train so if its snowing than the ...
    Neoflex is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Would you drive your V in winter?

I don't drive it because I have a beater I use for the train so if its snowing than the CTS doesn't see light of day. Come to think of it other than the couple laps around the block my car has not really been on a long drive in about 2 months. I miss driving her but once(if ever) this weather here in the Northeast clears up and the roads become salt free she will be out every opportunity. Now if my wheel guy would only get my wheels in than I will really find every excuse to drive her.

rueben44 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I seems so strange to hear people talk of winter tires and snow. Living in Houston we have no need for that kind of stuff and can drive a car year round. Shoot I have been wearing tee shirts and shorts all week and it is still March.

Vrocks is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

I haven't driven the V in the snow yet and hopefully this snow storm in PA is the last. I drove the vette in 2 -3 inches earlier this year and basically I had to start on level ground or down hill. I did learn one important lesson in driving in the snow: DON'T DOWNSHIFT!!(3rd to 2nd) I locked up the rear of the car in a banked turn... slid sideways for a long time facing the outside of the turn and fortunately I got it back under control (went in at 35mph came out at 25).

Shaun V is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Low RPM and MPH is the key to driving a 2WD car in the snow. Personally I would not own a CTS as a daily driver if it snowed. But, I live in Cali, so no worries!

nandanrp is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Yeah downshifting is a bad idea unless you double clutch. My first time driving a RWD stick in the snow (our 2003 CTS Luxury Sport 5MT) I didn't know how to double clutch, so I did the 2-3 downshift and the stabilitrak would kick in as the rear end slid. I'm much better now, double clutching took care of the problem. Now I only downshift the old way if I wanna have some fun Here's a picture of the GTO I got stuck in the snow at the foot of our driveway (the tires were just not getting ANY traction!). Basically I pulled it out of the garage, and then it took 30 minutes of shoveling to get the car back in!! Lesson learned!

msheri01 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Winter tires are recommended by the manufacturer for this car in areas with heavy snow. So, for those of you looking to upgrade your wheels and keep the runflats, you might want to consider mounting the winter tires on the stock rims, and the runflats on the new ones(if you are not eliminating the rum-flats). The cost of an extra mount and balance would not be all that much.

Deltasendero is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

SNOW? I live in Fargo, North Dakota and snow is a way of life for 6 months out of the year. Drive in snow, hell yeah. Just because were not in the sunbelt, doesn't mean we can't have cool cars. Snow tires are for the sunbelters. I have lived in the Dakota's all my life and have never even considered snow tires. The real challenge is letting the stabilitrac do it's work. My first day out we had 3" of the fresh stuff. I put on 500 miles and had a heck of a time getting used to the stabilitrac. Imagine doing 75 and having the rear end try catching the front. Normally you would let up on the throttle and countersteer. Not with this car. The stabilitrac is not that quick to react, but it will react. If you start sliding at 75 and countersteer, the stabilitrac starts to engage and determines that you intend on steering straight into the ditch. Believe me, it will try and do it's job. So what happens next? You of course, turn the wheel the opposite way while you are sliding. Again, the car determines that you now want to head into the opposite ditch.

So what to do? Pucker up real good and let the stabilitrac do the work. Keep the wheel pointed down the interstate and let the computer do the work. This goes against all normal relfexes since you have been driving this way for over 20 years. But it will eventually correct itself. Of course you could defeat the stabilitrac all together and drive like you're used to, but it is fun to see what the propellerheads can do to a car like this. I have read that the Cadillacs have over 50 16 to 32 bit microprocessors installed. Maybe they need to upgrade the processor speed?

Long story short. Even though we have a lot of snow, the roads clear off within a few days and it is back to sunbelt driving. Don't fear the snow, just leave yourself some extra cushion for adjustments.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.