Which octane level to use?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Which octane level to use? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; The owners manual states that using 91 and higher octane is suggested but it also states in the same paragragh ...
    iwinagn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cts-v and srx sport package

Which octane level to use?

The owners manual states that using 91 and higher octane is suggested but it also states in the same paragragh that you can use 87 octane. What do you guys suggest? I ran 89 in it today no pinging at all.. I read somewhere though that 91 or higher can help with mpg is that true? Not that i really care about gas milage but every little bit helps right! On the expressway today i was running 70-75 and was getting around 20 mpg is that about right you think? It does only have 217 miles on it i assume it will get better after it breaks in some.. thanks for any future help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ctsvett is offline FAQ is your Friend
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Re: Which octane level to use?

I would stick with premium (91 or above) an only use something else if you cant get premium....

The fuel maps will change if you use lower octane and you will (I have on other cars) fell a performance difference between 91 and 87... Also if you have a tune, thats a big NO NO

My opinion.

Reed

iwinagn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cts-v and srx sport package

Quote Originally Posted by ctsvett View Post
    I would stick with premium (91 or above) an only use something else if you cant get premium....

The fuel maps will change if you use lower octane and you will (I have on other cars) fell a performance difference between 91 and 87... Also if you have a tune, thats a big NO NO

My opinion.

Reed
    Reed
    thank you I will only use 91 or above from now on then.. I wasnt sure so i thought i had better find out from the guys that have been around these cars. I did search but came up with nothing.. How bout the mpg am i right that once it breaks in some i should see some increase on the eway? Thats where most of my driving is i try to keep it right around 70 mph and i was seeing about 19-20mpg

Florian is offline crushing Vs with my Wurm
    Automobile(s): 2013 GT500 - 700+ HP

always run the good stuff...your fuel maps will retard timing if you use the garbage and you wont be getting all the ponies from your V.

F

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Using a lower octane fuel will, under certain circumstances such as higher throttle openings, cause your PCM to retard the timing to avoid knock. If the timing is retarded, your fuel economy and/or performance will be affected detrimentally. I just bite the bullet and run 93 all the time.

For the purposes of comparison, as an old man, I've averaged 21 MPG overall since I bought the car over two years ago. (Somebody's gonna get a real creampuff from my estate sale someday. ) At a steady-state 70-75 MPH, I get about 23-24 MPG. BTW, I used to get 25-26 at that speed before I installed the headers -- apparently, the stock manifolds scavenge better at typical road-load conditions.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

ctsvflorida is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 Plat CTS-V

That is very low for 70-75 mph but it is probably because your car is brand new. My mileage barely changed with the headers, if at all! At 75mph I will get 24-25 mpg with the air conditioning on! For the past 3 months my ave. mpg has been 20.4 and driving around town it is horrible to say the least!

The octane thing is really a no brainer sir! Highest you can buy at normal pumps!

HiTechRV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): STS-V the most powerful Cadillac you can buy for now

I believe the PCM is actually smart enough not only to retard timing with knock, but also to advance it. I run 93 or 94 octane most of the time - whatever the maximum available is.

On a dumb engine with no knock sensors and a dumb controller, you want to run the LOWEST octane that does not ping for power ind mileage. On a modern engine like the LSx, I'd go for the highest.

Luna. is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V

Also, I don't believe that using a higher octane fuel will result in any significant difference in gas mileage

Quote Originally Posted by Luna. View Post
    Also, I don't believe that using a higher octane fuel will result in any significant difference in gas mileage
    Correct!

Octane is simply a measure of a fuel's resistance to knock; by itself, it has nothing to do with a fuel's energy content.

The opposite of octane is cetane, a measure of a fuel's propensity to autoignite, which characterizes Diesel fuel.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

HiTechRV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): STS-V the most powerful Cadillac you can buy for now

Higher octane allows more timing advance. Timing advance allows for more power per gallon, OR fewer gallons for a fixed power level.

So at WOT, higher octane will not get you better mileage. But at a steady speed, the power required is constant, so higher octane *in concert with advanced timing* will actually burn less fuel, since the advanced timing is getting you more out of the fuel you are burning.

On a car that cannot advance the timing to take advantage of the octane, higher octane actually robs you of a small amount of power and mpg.

50 4Ever is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V (Thunder Grey)

On the mpg question, in my Corvette I averaged 30.6 MPG with the cruise set on 85 mph from Rock Springs Wyoming to Salt Lake City using 93 octane. The highest I can get in CA is 91 octane and can only get about 28 mpg at 75. If I could get 93 octane here I would buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by HiTechRV View Post
    Higher octane allows more timing advance. ...
    However, advancing the timing does not always mean more power.

Ignition for gasoline piston engines is nearly always in terms of BTDC (before top dead center), in other words, before the piston has reached full compression. Advancing the timing too far causes the pressure resulting from the explosion in the cylinder to increase too early thereby reducing power.

Let me repeat, octane by itself has nothing to do with the available energy in a given quantity of gasoline. (I used to work for Ethyl Corporation as a young engineer testing engines on engine dynomometers doing WOT, LBT, MBT fish hooks ... and we did this stuff all day long every day.)

Luna. is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V

Rand speaks the truth!

I recall reading several articles on the subject and they all echoed Rand's sentiment. One analogy I recall was, "Octane is like running shoes. If you wear a size 10, wearing a size 12 running shoe isn't going to make you sprint any faster."

Chef is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

race fuel - daily driver

124turbo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

use the good stuff

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.