1st oil change
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, 1st oil change in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; With everyone reporting shavings in the oil on the first change, do you guys think that 750 miles is the ...
    ctsvett is offline FAQ is your Friend
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

1st oil change

With everyone reporting shavings in the oil on the first change, do you guys think that 750 miles is the right time to have the first oil change on my V? Is this too early or too late?

Reed
    CTSVETT

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

evo
    evo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS, 2012 CTS Coupe

Re: 1st oil change

everyone has their own opinion on 1st oil change. i was told to do mine on the first 500. than i ended up doing at 600. thats just me...

JEM
    JEM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Personal opinion, having nothing to do with GM recommendations: I'd change the engine, transmission, and final-drive oils at somewhere between 1000-2000 miles.

silver bullet is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS Lux/Sport

I took my 04 CTS 3.6 lux sport in to Penske Cadillac in Torrance CA. where I live for it's first oil and filter change today 3ooo miles , no charge for any thing, big shipment of new CTS's came in while I was there , sadly no CTSV's all new ones have the painted rear bezel looks much cleaner.

ctsvett is offline FAQ is your Friend
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

How did you swing that? I purchased my V from Penske last friday. How did you get a free oil change?

P.S. do any of you socal CTS (v or non V) guys want to get together and chat sometime?

Reed
    CTSVETT

evo
    evo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS, 2012 CTS Coupe

penske. hehehe... what you think about their customer service? cause they sure suck with penske mercedes. hopefully cadillac is better.

add: what does the stock painted rear looks like? does it look like the ones they are selling on ebay?

lasstss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Thumbs up Re: 1st oil change

Speaking of Oil changes... for the V..

http://www.ajusa.com/cgi-bin/knfilte...rt_num=HP-1007

This is the K&N filter. 8.99 free shipping. I bought 3.
    Prices here are pretty good.

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

I posted this in another thread yesterday...

doing the first oil change before the scheduled interval is bad..... Main thing is because during the first 3000ish miles, the most wear during break in occurs...

This wear causes all these little things to be in the oil. Normal..... However, its done by 3000 miles, therefore changing the oil BEFORE this time will cause a certain amount of metal to circulate untli the NEXT oil change...

So IMO its best to go the full time the first oil change, and you can do whatever you want from there out...

GNSCOTT is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Wes, I'm trying hard to figure out your line of thought. I'll give you my thoughts and way of doing it.

Change at 500 miles. You want to remove the larger debris. then.....
    change at 1000 miles if you drive it like it was meant to. Most engines will take until 3000 miles to break in, but engines driven harder and at higher rpms will obviously break in quicker. OBTW, 1 trip to the drag strip and your car is broken in.

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

I sorta agree...

However, the debris is big enough that it will ALL be gone by 3000 miles and it will be in the filter...

Your not doing any harm by changing the oil later, and IMO your probably doing MORE harm when you do it SOONER... This isnt speculation, Ive heard it from engineers..

I dont think what your doing is WRONG, more/less I think its unnecessary. Either way I dont think its gonna make enough difference to go one way or the other. Might as well go the cheaper route!!

This made me think, Im going to start a new thread in the general non model specific forum......

benjet is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by lasstss
    Speaking of Oil changes... for the V..

http://www.ajusa.com/cgi-bin/knfilte...rt_num=HP-1007

This is the K&N filter. 8.99 free shipping. I bought 3.
    Prices here are pretty good.
    Any particular reason to use this over the AC Delco (factory) One (<$5)?

benjet is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by elwesso
    I sorta agree...

However, the debris is big enough that it will ALL be gone by 3000 miles and it will be in the filter...
    I would disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by elwesso
    Your not doing any harm by changing the oil later, and IMO your probably doing MORE harm when you do it SOONER... This isnt speculation, Ive heard it from engineers..
    So if changing it 2x, 3x or 4x (getting out all the debris) by the time the scheduled 1st change IS supposed to take place (10k?) lets you sleep better at night then the cost per change is peace of mind.

Harmful I doubt.

YMMV
    -Ben

silver bullet is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS Lux/Sport

When I bought my CTS it was Morran Cadillac Penske took over a few months ago. and they are in the process of remodeling the place. The coupon for the free oil service was given when I bought the car but I under stand they are still doing it. Other manufacturers do it.good cust-relations. I was impressed that they opened a case of mobil 1 and put in 6 individual qts most places use bulk oil.

darrelld is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

First oil change at 2000 miles, Mobil 1.

lasstss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Unless, there is a specific break in lube in the original oil, there is no reason to leave this oil in the motor. When you change the oil at anytime, there is always residual, at least 1/2 cup. If it has contaminates they will recirculate. THe more oil changes the better. Filters also have a limit, if they get crapped up they go into bypass anyway so no filtering takes place. You would have to get some pretty large or abrasive fragments floating in the oil to cause problems. If a motor has issues, you know it right away. Especially now that flat tappet cams are not used.

On the K&N, its marginally better than the AC Delco, for a 50K car whats 2-3 bucks extra. I do agree that by spec and all of the investigation done the AC delco and Purolator are on top of the heap. Fram is at the bottom..

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.