OnStar Bluetooth Kit - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, OnStar Bluetooth Kit in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I'll sell a kit to anyone who wants one.. 1. Its not easy to install 2. I will sell it ...
    ctsvett is offline FAQ is your Friend
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Re: OnStar Bluetooth Kit

I'll sell a kit to anyone who wants one..

1. Its not easy to install
    2. I will sell it to you at cost to me, so no returns, its all on you
    3. It is the full integration you want.
    4. its not 100% perfect, but is what you want

Reed

Details is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by ctsvett View Post

Reed
    Whats the cost?

Not sure if I would have enough time, but if the price is right I will wait till I'm done with my 3000 other projects.

Thanks

Imperator is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Light Platinum STS-V - 2005 Black Raven CTS-V (gone)

Quote Originally Posted by ctsvett View Post

Reed
    Reed,

Is this your engineering eval kit or can you furnish more? Any word on production pieces, and is your relationship with R&M still good?

I am not sure when or if this kit will ever recieve a true production level kit. Our market is just too small for a specialized kit..

I have been given the option to sell these kits. I am not looking to make money on these so I would only pass them at my cost + shipping along to THOSE WHO ARE COMPETANT enough to install them. I would help support them, but I will not take returns unless it is defective since I am not in this to lose money.

Cost for the interface box might be $110.
    You would need to buy a Motorola IFH-1000 kit on your own to go with the interface box.

The kit works well. Some people out here are testing them now and can comment. I love mine and use it all the time. Yes, there are some weird things once and a while, but most of the time it works great!

Reed

TurnStyle is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Hello Reed,
    I am interested in the interface box. Is there a quiz to take? Anyone else out there have the kit willing to comment on function/installation?

Thanks!
    -James

nikon is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05' CTS-V

It was a breeze to install...too me at least, if you've got a couple hours and know how to remove/reinstall interior panels theres nothing to it....and the only thing in my car that makes it only 99% perfect is the fact that somehow it screws with my fan speed...if you start the car with prompts off the fan speed wont go above 3...but if prompts are on (in other words if the bt kit activates when you turn the car on and tells you it's ready it works fine) for talking on the phone it is perfect...for nextel walkie talkie (and this has nothing to do with the interface box, just the moto bt kit) it sucks...I usually disable the kit to talk on my walkie talkie, but otherwise I love it...

and for the quiz you wanna take...

have you ever installed an aftermarket radio before?
    do you know how to use wire taps/crimps etc.
    are you afraid to take your car apart?
    do you have half a brain when it comes to electronics??

like I said it's easy, alot of wires but reed has that all taken care off and has a guide to tell you what hooks up to what....it's well worth it, trust me.

TurnStyle is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Thanks Nikon. I really did not WANT to take a quiz but from the sounds of Reeds message there may of been one.

Installed way too many aftermarket radios, have used taps and crimps before, already taken the rear deck apart once and I have at least half a brain althou by wife probably disagrees.

srracer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

In my opinion, its not hard to install the Bluetooth kit. The reason that I chose not to pursue production of my unit, was because this is a really good unit at $110.

The hardest part of the install is tapping into the Onstar wiring harness. Next hardest is running the mic wire through the headliner. Neither of those are particularly difficult, but I think Reed's point is that if you are uncomfortable doing that type of stuff, don't buy the kit. It's not plug&play reversible because of the tapping into the Onstar box.

I personally chose to tap into power and RAC differently than the 'standard' procedure, and honestly, I think my way is quite a bit cleaner and easier, but overall I would rate this a 4 on an index of 1-10 (10 being hardest). The hardest I've had so far is probably the auto start I installed on my wife's Nissan Altima, at about a 7... or maybe the custom sub box/amp rack/etc on my brother's show car (TT 94 Supra)..that one was definitely up there.. maybe an 8. :-)

-Chris

^^^ are you still using your kit, or the R&M one??? Any of you guys notice if it fuks with your a/c controls at all??? I've learned to deal with it..but still, was just hoping I wasn't alone

and turnstyle, you should have no problems installing the kit...I got confused at first because I tried to visualize the install in my head....just start rippin stuff apart and pluggin things in and it'll all come to you...I agree the hardest part for me was running the mic in the headliner...and deciding where to put the control panel....

GOTTSPD is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I installed it (just posted here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...bluetooth.html)
    and it's really not hard. I had some trouble picking a location for the mic as well. I wanted to hide it in the sunroof control panel, but I ended up sticking it to the outside of it to facilitate the best possible sound I could. The control panel is well placed to the right of and just behind the steering wheel. Works great there! Easy to access, looks nice...

Go for it... It's great!

I'll sell a kit to anyone for $110 (my cost including shipping) with No warranty other than my promise to help you make it work via e-mail. If it is broken or DOA, I can get it replaced, but I am not going to make money on these, so I am not going to take a loss...

R&M probably wont sell right away these because of the issues they had with the iPod kit and the hit they had to take.

Your choice... Email me if interested.

Reed

srracer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by nikon View Post
    ^^^ are you still using your kit, or the R&M one??? Any of you guys notice if it fuks with your a/c controls at all??? I've learned to deal with it..but still, was just hoping I wasn't alone
    Right now, I'm using the R&M kit for Bluetooth and my kit was for black box development. I was interested to see if the R&M kit worked any better than my own, since I thought I was getting some strange delay problems at first. In the end, I think that for whatever reason, my module actually had less delay than the R&M module (less of the motorola voice seemed to get cutoff with mine). My guess is that my module had a lot less overhead than the R&M one, which looks to be a much more universal serial bus design that is likely to be able to handle other busses than just the VPWJ1850 on the CTS-V's.

That said, I never packaged mine into a nice housing or anything, so the R&M kit saved me some time there and is definitely well put together for the price. I had thoughts of selling mine for $150-$175 - any less wouldn't have been worth it for me to pursue in small volume productions. When R&M can get this out there for $110 through Reed - that's a great deal in my opinion.

So for now, I'll keep my proto unit as a little serial bus black box development tool...though I don't expect to do too much in the next few months. We moved most of our stuff into storage while we wait for the new house to get built.

-Chris

you know thats the one thing I find strange you guys have problems with delays and voice being cut off, and I've never had a problem with that...strange.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Just curious, why wouldn't you just buy a parrot kit and tap into the speaker wires? They may even have custom harnesses so there is no splicing of the car's wiring.

GOTTSPD is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyhauser View Post
    Just curious, why wouldn't you just buy a parrot kit and tap into the speaker wires? They may even have custom harnesses so there is no splicing of the car's wiring.
    There's no kit other than the RM kit for our cars. Also, just tapping into the speaker wires wouldn't cause the radio to mute, which is a very helpful function...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.