Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  50 4Ever 
#1 ·
If my CTS V is in neutral with the clutch engaged (foot off clutch pedal) and then I release the clutch (push clutch pedal to floor) the shift lever often jams when trying to shift into low gear. My dealer cannot fix it. Has anyone had this problem, and what did you do?

Thank you.

Robert

#5 ·
New shifter helps, but you can feel the bind, 3rd gear for me when playing has caused some embarrassment.

#6 ·
That's not the worst: Wait until you think it's in first, but when you start to move it pops out with a sound like a gunshot. You'll think you broke something, then turn red and put it back in first and drive off.

Mega embarrassing.

#17 ·
Wait. Someone has actually done that before? :hmm: How sorry is that? You'd never catch something like that happening to me. :hide: :eek: :shhh:

#12 ·
If my CTS V is in neutral with the clutch engaged (foot off clutch pedal) and then I release the clutch (push clutch pedal to floor) the shift lever often jams when trying to shift into low gear. My dealer cannot fix it. Has anyone had this problem, and what did you do?

Thank you.

Robert
Sounds like you might have the same problem I did. Next time you notice this problem keep the clutch engaged and shut the engine off. Then try to shift, if the car shifts like butter then the clutch is not fully disengaging. My dealer ended up replacing the slave cylinder, clutch and pressure plate. They said the flywheel was 0.020" off. They had the car over three weeks, here is what they wrote:

Shifting Problem
07/17/06
17,782 Miles

Customer concern:
Hard to shift into forward gears, will not shift into reverse.

Tech’s response:
Evaluate shifting with customer & found that trans won’t shift into any gear while engine is running, but will if engine is shut off. Inspect clutch operation & pedal feel – found pedal feels OK, suspect that disc is either sticking on shaft or slave cylinder is not fully disengaging. Remove trans for repair. Inspect clutch and pressure plate – found clutch disc looks OK, but pressure plate has a smooth ring around the outer edge as is it could have been dragging. Customer was also commenting on excessive clutch chatter. Considering the nature of concern & prior repairs we are replacing all clutch related components in trans & advise to inspect internal trans components for damage. Disassemble trans. To check for hard shifting checked all blocker rings, all looked to specs. Reverse syncro hub and blocker rings damaged. Replaced damaged parts. Reassembled trans. Replace clutch disc, pressure plate & slave cylinder. Road test & found that trans will shift into all gears now except reverse. Verify reverse lockout actuator is not malfunctioning. Call TAC & discuss case #XXXXXXX. Advised to remove trans and recheck internal components. Removed trans for inspection. Disassemble trans & re-check reverse components, shift forks & rails – all look OK. Call TAC & discuss case – advised to replace flywheel & perform clutch pressure plate adjustment per doc ID #1413557 & clutch bleed per Doc ID #1550985. Inspect flywheel step depth – found old flywheel depth is 0.020” deeper than the new one. Installed S/O new flywheel. Performed adjustment on clutch pressure plate and reinstalled. Reinstalled trans. Engine won’t start; battery is dead – replaced battery. Road test & verify shifting is now OK in all gears. Perform bleed procedure as directed by Doc ID #1550985.

:thumbsup:

#16 ·
50 4ever
Please tell me your dealer name, phone number, and service manager name.

I would like to have my dealer talk to him.

Thank you for your complete answer.
Robert
The dealer is Reliable Pontiac Cadillac in Roseville CA. My service writer is Rick Lawrence at 916.783.5233 x158. The guy that worked on the car was the shop foreman, Pete, I forgot his last name. These guys went to bat for me.

Their service website -----> Click here.

I have 25,487 miles on the V now, all fun miles.

:)

#20 ·
Hey, 50, thanks for that dealer report. Wonderful how those guys locked on and wouldn't let go till they figured it out. Too bad about the lost 3 weeks, though.

Regarding embarrassing driving moments, I go from my beater ('03 ZX3 5-spd) to my V and am very clutsy with the clutch. :annoyed: Engagement point is low on one and high on the other not to mention the spring rate. Makes me feel like a stickshift newbie while trying to make my V "feel" smooth like an AT so as not to upset the wife. :rolleyes:

#21 ·
Hey, 50, thanks for that dealer report. Wonderful how those guys locked on and wouldn't let go till they figured it out. Too bad about the lost 3 weeks, though.

The problem happened a couple days before I left on a 2-week Corvette trip/caravan to OR, WA, ID & NV. I lost my fuel pump in eastern WA so that added 3 days to the trip. The summer of 2006 was not good to me and my cars.

:cool2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.