I Cant Seem To Beat My Friends Lotus
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, I Cant Seem To Beat My Friends Lotus in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; My Friend & I Are Always Doin The Stopliht To Stop Light Thing I Am Always 1 To 2 Car ...
    DANK is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I Cant Seem To Beat My Friends Lotus

My Friend & I Are Always Doin The Stopliht To Stop Light Thing
    I Am Always 1 To 2 Car Lengths Behind What Mods Can I Do?
    Dan

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

globed70 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: I Cant Seem To Beat My Friends Lotus

What year/type of Lotus?

Chuck C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by DANK
    My Friend & I Are Always Doin The Stopliht To Stop Light Thing
    I Am Always 1 To 2 Car Lengths Behind What Mods Can I Do?
    Dan
    DANK, i responded to you in the one post you had about track times....I think a set of decent tires in the rear would be a major improvement. I just watched a video posted on this forum of a CTS-V taking out an LS1 Corvette, and although the V won, the wheel hop was easy to see. Who is going to be the first to pick up a set of Hoosier tires and run the quarter mile?

Spy Hunter is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck C
    DANK, i responded to you in the one post you had about track times....I think a set of decent tires in the rear would be a major improvement. I just watched a video posted on this forum of a CTS-V taking out an LS1 Corvette, and although the V won, the wheel hop was easy to see. Who is going to be the first to pick up a set of Hoosier tires and run the quarter mile?
    Hoosiers will only make the wheel hop worse. What the car needs is a ladder bar setup or some kind of panhard rod to help the tires plant. If they were spinning off the rims then DOT slicks would be the way to go.

Chuck C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Spy Hunter
    Hoosiers will only make the wheel hop worse. What the car needs is a ladder bar setup or some kind of panhard rod to help the tires plant. If they were spinning off the rims then DOT slicks would be the way to go.
    spy hunter--I'm a novice when it comes to these things, so I need some explanations. How does a panhard rod work and furthermore, how would it help plant the wheels? Is a panhard rod similar to a watts linkage? Is the wheel hop due to the indp rear susp?

JEM
    JEM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Panhard rod? Ladder bar? Watts link?

Have you seen the rear suspension of a CTS?

Panhard rods provide lateral location - in a stick-axle car. Ladder bars handle torque reaction - in a stick-axle car. Watts links provide lateral location - in a stick-axle car. Some IRSes and DeDion setups use them very creatively for fore-aft location, but it's not something you could retrofit.

The CTS has a nice, modern, multilink rear suspension. None of the above are applicable. Period.

The CTS-V seems to have a problem. Most IRSes will wheel-hop somewhat on hard launches, but the CTS-V is the first one that I've heard of in a very long time that seems to want to leave drivetrain parts on the ground as a result.

Somewhere, someone said that it's the runflat tires. I haven't seen any confirmation of this, though I suppose it's possible the stiff sidewalls might amplify whatever tendency the rear suspension has in that direction already.

It's possible it's a geometry problem, that someone at GM left the "must launch well with 400 ft/lb torque" off the requirements list when modeling up the details of the Sigma platform. We'd have to know a lot more about the designed-in anti-lift/anti-squat properties of the rear suspension, what they did for the diff and subframe mountings, etc.

Or it might have been an intentional tradeoff, that somewhere in the rear suspension someone specced a softer bushing for NVH reasons and the result is that something gets to move around too much on hard launches.

Ah well, as any M5 owner will tell you, in a car of this class the part that sells you isn't the 0-60, it's the 60-120.

globed70 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

JEM, as usual great and correct technical info, and a very reasonable opinion. I think there is an expectation that american torque monsters should either grip or spin... a real muscle car. I too like to occassionally smoke the tires, but have found that no car is perfect. Over in europe, where you can regularly find places to drive 90, 110, 130, and even 150+ the launch thing is very unimportant... how you handle at speed means everything. GMPD went after european competition, and has left many quarter-mile buffs wanting in apparently a big way.

At the end of the day, I'll pass up a clean launch for what I consider to be world class handling, braking, accerleration at speed, and balance.

A defect, NO! Something that doesn't meet the expectations of many people? Yes. Compared to the rest of the car in it's first year, not too bad.

Spy Hunter is offline Cadillac Owners Member

My bad, I forgot about the IRS. I keep thinking everything with a Cadi emblem and rwd has an axle. I'll try to catch up.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.