New problem(s) with my V
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, New problem(s) with my V in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; This morning I noticed that my keyless remote wasn't working. Didn't seem like a big deal. Then, while driving, I ...
    GTS21 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question New problem(s) with my V

This morning I noticed that my keyless remote wasn't working. Didn't seem like a big deal. Then, while driving, I noticed that my tire pressure monitor was reading "---" at each wheel instead of a number. I managed to find a dealer willing to look at it on a Saturday. They replaced some sort of transmitter/receiver in the rear of the car in the headliner that is suppossed to be related to both the keyless remote and the tire pressure monitoring system. The keyless remote now works, but they were unable to fix the tire pressure monitor. What now? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, Eric

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

miscreant is offline GM Connection

Re: New problem(s) with my V

ona
    Quote Originally Posted by GTS21
    The keyless remote now works, but they were unable to fix the tire pressure monitor. What now? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, Eric
    Yeah, not to sound mundane or anything, but take it back in. It's covered under warranty, so they should fix it.
    2004 Cadillac CTS (**SOLD** ): http://www.ctsowners.com
    2004 Pontiac GTO: http://www.myyellowgto.com

msheri01 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Sounds like several possiblities. Either a bad antenna module, since it feeds both systems, poor connection in wiring somewhere, or possibly a problem with the instrument cluster. Take it to the dealer and have them check it again.

Innocent Bystander is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Well, the same module reads all the RF stuff on the car including both fobs and all four tire pressure sensors. If the key fobs are working but the tire pressure sensors aren't, they'll probably just need to reprogram the sensors. The module they replaced had individual codes for each of the four sensors stored in it. When you replace the module, those codes go with it and the new module has blanks in place of the codes. Simple routine if you wanna reprogram them yourself:

1) key in RUN, engine off
    2) park brake set, cluster on pressure display
    3) press lock and unlock on fob until you hear a horn honk
    4) let air out of (or put air into) Left front tire until you hear another horn honk
    5) repeat on Right Front tire
    6) repeat on Right Rear tire
    7) repeat on Left Rear tire
    8) after left rear tire you should hear a double honk and the process is complete
    9) verify the pressures on the cluster display
    Note: it's easier to let air out of the tire, of course, but then you'll probably have to put some back into the tire when the process is complete. The dealer should have a tool that looks like a garage door opener that they can use in place of the air-letting procedure. It excites a mechanism inside the sensor so they don't have to fool with the air pressure. Target for every day driving pressures should be shown on a sticker on the door, I think.

Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Innocent Bystander
    Well, the same module reads all the RF stuff on the car including both fobs and all four tire pressure sensors. If the key fobs are working but the tire pressure sensors aren't, they'll probably just need to reprogram the sensors. The module they replaced had individual codes for each of the four sensors stored in it. When you replace the module, those codes go with it and the new module has blanks in place of the codes. Simple routine if you wanna reprogram them yourself:

1) key in RUN, engine off
    2) park brake set, cluster on pressure display
    3) press lock and unlock on fob until you hear a horn honk
    4) let air out of (or put air into) Left front tire until you hear another horn honk
    5) repeat on Right Front tire
    6) repeat on Right Rear tire
    7) repeat on Left Rear tire
    8) after left rear tire you should hear a double honk and the process is complete
    9) verify the pressures on the cluster display
    Note: it's easier to let air out of the tire, of course, but then you'll probably have to put some back into the tire when the process is complete. The dealer should have a tool that looks like a garage door opener that they can use in place of the air-letting procedure. It excites a mechanism inside the sensor so they don't have to fool with the air pressure. Target for every day driving pressures should be shown on a sticker on the door, I think.

Good Luck.

The tech working on the car apparently tried to do this, but was unable to get the car into the "learn mode" to proceed. I'll print out your instructions and give it a try this evening. Thanks for the input!!!! Eric

Innocent Bystander is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

I'd bet he didn't set the park brake. Also, he could have had the wrong part number installed. Older modules don't read the tire sensors.

Quote Originally Posted by Innocent Bystander
    I'd bet he didn't set the park brake. Also, he could have had the wrong part number installed. Older modules don't read the tire sensors.
    Gave it a try, but no luck. I must be doing something wrong. I PMd you. Eric

tedcmiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

The procedure described by Innocent Bystander for logging in the tire pressure sensors is correct. This is one the procedures described in the 2004 CTS/CTS-V service manual. It is also possible to use a scan tool to log them in. According to the Deville service manual it is also possible, in some cases, to log them in using a magnet that fits around the external tire valve. The magnet activates a switch inside the RF pressure sensor that is inside the tire that causes the sensor to transmit the pressure data. Apparently, the magnet will not work if you have run-flat tires (ala CTS-V) and the rims that are used with them. If you have run-flat tires and rims, you must use the scan tool or the air release method.

Normally the sensors transmit data once a minute when the car is moving. This rate drops to once an hour when the car is stopped. A fairly significant pressure change, such as that employed in the reprogramming procedure will also cause the sensor to transmit data. When in "learn mode," the computer assumes that the sensors will be logged-in in the specific order described in the procedure (i.e., LF, RF, RR, LR). Pressing lock and unlock simultaneously on the remote fob is what puts the system in learn mode. This is how you correct the pressure display after rotating the tires. If all of the pressure displays are reset, and you can't get into learn mode, I would agree that the RF receiver module is probably the culprit.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.