Radar detectors/jammers revisited... - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Radar detectors/jammers revisited... in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I'm in Oregon, and have a Valentine. It is great in CA where the CHP (California Highway Patrol) often, but ...
    Rey
    Rey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Radar detectors/jammers revisited...

I'm in Oregon, and have a Valentine. It is great in CA where the CHP (California Highway Patrol) often, but not always, runs with Ka constantly on.
    But here in Oregon our beloved Oregon State Patrol (OSP) has gone to laser. Laser works only in a statonary mode, and doesn't work so well in the rain, but it is stealthy. The Valentine has shown a lot of laser hits from the rear on interstates and from the front in town.
    Generally speaking, you are always safe at 5mph over on highways and up to 72 mpoh on interstates.
    OSP loves unmarked cars also - usually dark blue. New ones are Dodge Chargers, but watch for white and blue pickups.

ahahnu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey

Last night I finally got the V1 to make a peep. The cop had someone pulled over. Also as Jim said there is nothing like paying attention. I try to drive in the right lane as much as possible. With that being said last night also i was cruising down the highway and had to shift from the right over two lanes to the left to pass some people. As i was in the left i saw headlights coming up quick behind me. I moved over, low and behold it was a cop. He raced up to his hiding spot, turned in and turned off the lights. When on back roads around here, yeah if your speeding, most likely you will get nailed before you know it. Radar is only a crutch not to be relied on, but as another sense to assist you.

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Quote Originally Posted by V-Max View Post
    Did you use the programmable feature of the V1 for your area? If you own a V1 and have not looked at all the programmable features then your missing out on all the features that the V1 offers.

http://www.valentine1.com/lab/MikesLabRpt3.asp

Norm

I even called and spoke with their tech support (day 3), to which they mentioned the feature programming. Still no dice. Very well could just be the area I live in and drive through. But it served the job no better than a 250.00 Bel detector, for Radar. I will give them kudos for one thing, after I had spoke with them again (day 6) and they told me simply to return it for a refund, I had the money creditied back to my C.C. in two days. That's the fastest any company has done that. So customer service gets high marks.

If you guys want to swear by the V1, then more power to you. I tried it and saw no advantage to it for the price.

Silver Dollar is offline Das jus fo decorations
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

CVS and Walgreens will scare the shit outta you.

JFC
    JFC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS-V

I wired my V1 into the CTS-V cabin lights over the weekend. I have the two socket main+remote power supply right beside the top of the rear view mirror attachment. Currently the V1 main unit is clipped to the passenger visor, where it seems to work. I'm trying to figure out where I want the remote display. Ideally it should be visible to me but not people outside the car, and within easy reach of my hand to press the mute button.

ahahnu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey

Um yeah, this won't be a problem of mine anymore. My car was just broken into, radar gone. Suckion cups are there, adn the power adapter for the lighter are there, V1, no.

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Quote Originally Posted by ahahnu View Post
    Um yeah, this won't be a problem of mine anymore. My car was just broken into, radar gone. Suckion cups are there, adn the power adapter for the lighter are there, V1, no.

That sucks dude, sorry to hear. Broken window or more professional ?

JFC
    JFC is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by JFC View Post
    I wired my V1 into the CTS-V cabin lights over the weekend. I have the two socket main+remote power supply right beside the top of the rear view mirror attachment. Currently the V1 main unit is clipped to the passenger visor, where it seems to work. I'm trying to figure out where I want the remote display. Ideally it should be visible to me but not people outside the car, and within easy reach of my hand to press the mute button.
    Pictures (phone code wire placement not final):

faylix is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Just purchased a Passport SRX with z3 shifters ($720 new in box, god i love ebay).

I had a passport 8500 with z3 shifters hard wired in my WRX and that saved me multipul times. after 4 years of service tho the passport started giving me false LASER alerts whenever i accelerated hard. Very odd.

I love the system tho, and shifters saved my ass so many times its not ever funny.

Of course, now i have to figure out where to mount the SRX unit in my car...

unit: http://www.passportsr1.com/srx.htm

My CTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by faylix View Post
    Just purchased a Passport SRX with z3 shifters ($720 new in box, god i love ebay).

I had a passport 8500 with z3 shifters hard wired in my WRX and that saved me multipul times. after 4 years of service tho the passport started giving me false LASER alerts whenever i accelerated hard. Very odd.

I love the system tho, and shifters saved my ass so many times its not ever funny.

Of course, now i have to figure out where to mount the SRX unit in my car...

unit: http://www.passportsr1.com/srx.htm
    Mine is mounted to the left of the rear view mirror flush with the headliner. Barely noticeable and can still see it easily. The two shifters are mounted under the front bumper (aiming up, in front of the black plastic chin spoiler).

faylix is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

pictures?

My CTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by faylix View Post
    pictures?
    I'll see if I can't get some later today, will let you know.

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

Here is my V1 mounting.

Suction cup articulating arm.

fredcook is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

I've been going through this thread... there's a lot of great input for $300+ detectors. And I'd expect those to be good, considering their costs. But for those of you with a smaller budget, or less of an interest in spending that much if you don't speed a lot... here's my two cents worth on a cheap unit.

I was inspired to post this from an early post that indicated POP protection was only available on $200+ units. Also, I feel that real proof is the the number of tickets you get. In just over ten years, I received two speeding tickets. On both occasions, I did not have my detector in my car (I finally bought a second one so that's no longer going to happen). In those tens years, I averaged 25k miles a year. And there are more than a few triple digit highway miles in there.

I have an old Whistler 1773 (actually, two... one for each car). New, it can be found for less than $100. It's been so long, I don't even remember what I paid for mine originally. It has VG2, POP, laser, etc., etc., etc. On flat highways, such as those in Kansas and West Texas, it easily picks up K, Ka, X 1-2 miles out. It has been very consistent. I know that a signal less than 3 or less is either too far away, or a false alarm (door opener, etc.). I never slow down until it hits 4, and have yet to get a ticket. And when it does reach 4-6, I always see the 'intruder' if I look for it. To be honest, I was sceptical of it's laser protection, but it works as well. the only downside is the laser detection goes nuts if I happened to be lined up with an airport runway (laser ILS, I assume).

I'm not knocking the V1's of the world, as I am sure they're great. But as I said, if you need or want to spend less, you may want to consider the 1773. It has a perfect record with me.

(sorry for the long post)

Bueller is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Valentine owners:

Google a search for Valentine 1 mirror mount, and V1 hardwire or wiring kit. I got a mount that attaches to the mirror stock behind the mirror and looks factory. V1 slides in and out using the mount installed on new stalk with the suchion (sp) cups removed. Sits just under the mirror. I got a phone cord wire that has metal tips that slide into the power in the mirror and keeps everything working. V is being shipped here so sorry no pics but will post when she arrives. Total about $25-$30

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.