Radar detectors/jammers revisited... - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Radar detectors/jammers revisited... in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Does the tint on the CTS-V interfere with radar detectors? In my old Audi with a clear windshield I clipped ...
    JFC
    JFC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS-V

Re: Radar detectors/jammers revisited...

Does the tint on the CTS-V interfere with radar detectors? In my old Audi with a clear windshield I clipped my V1 to the visor. That puts the tint in the way on the CTS-V. (2004 model year if it matters)

DarkMatter is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

There should not be a problem with the tint on the front window. There is no way a cop could point directly at one of the dots between him and the detector accurately enough for it to block the detection. Other tint can be a bit different. I had Quantum 10% tint on one of my previous cars and the radar detector did struggle. I had the tint pulled and put on a cheaper brand and the detector worked flawlessly. Reason was that Quantum uses metal in thier tint and it seemed to lessen the capabilities of detection (makes a bit of sense... the metal tint also interferes with navigation antennas and other antennas/signal based systems within the car.)

ahahnu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey

I have been wondering this for a while. I bought my V1 will be two years ago now, and for some reason it doesn't detect shit. I got nailed doing 93-70 in GA two months ago. The trooper let me off, but the thing didn't make a peep. He even asked me about it, but I had unplugged it before he came to the car, so he believed me I didn't have it on. Most of the time it does nothing, just sits there. I mean it has notified me before, but now no. Even when a cop is sitting on the median facing the other way it doesn't do anything. When I pass stores that I know it used to go off, it doens't now. I'm kinda dissappointed right now with it. Tomm, any suggestions?

sefa01 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by ahahnu View Post
    I have been wondering this for a while. I bought my V1 will be two years ago now, and for some reason it doesn't detect shit. I got nailed doing 93-70 in GA two months ago. The trooper let me off, but the thing didn't make a peep. He even asked me about it, but I had unplugged it before he came to the car, so he believed me I didn't have it on. Most of the time it does nothing, just sits there. I mean it has notified me before, but now no. Even when a cop is sitting on the median facing the other way it doesn't do anything. When I pass stores that I know it used to go off, it doens't now. I'm kinda dissappointed right now with it. Tomm, any suggestions?
    Try it around shopping centers/stores. The X band should wail loudly. If it doesn't, somethings wrong. If it does go off but doesn't for police radar, find a friendly cop in your home town and ask him to put his radar gun on.

Remember that in NJ, the V1 (and I have two of them on each of my cars) is best for local yocals since they mostly use X band. State troopers are more apt to use pulse, in which case you have to be attuned to when he saps cars ahead of you. You might think it's nothing, but slow down.

With my V and my C6 Z06, I've never gotten a speeding ticket and I credit my Valentines. If yours really isn't working right, I'm sure Valentine will repair or replace it.

ahahnu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey

Thanks Sefa. We have no friendly cops in my town, I will have to try to find something. The cops in my town are one of two in the state that are accredited wih the highest honors for how they handle all situations. Its major BS, but they believe in it. Thy were also best dressed in the country two or three years ago or something like that. I try not to pay too much attention, but they suck down so many tax dollars.

Flyboy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I sold my V1.......I can't believe any you guys are still feeling SAFE with a detector. Cops don't drive around any more with the radar gun ON. It is in the Stand-by mode. The only time the cop triggers the unit (especially LASER), is when he's getting your speed. The ONLY thing the detector is telling you (if you're really speeding), is you're gonna' get pulled over. I have many, many cop buddies and they all tell me that same thing. They actually laugh at guys with detectors, 'cause they're gonna' get the ticket for sure. Years ago, the cops drove around with the transmitter on all the time.....no longer. The only time the unit will help you (V1 is the BEST).....is if he's shooting at a car ahead of you and your detector happens to receive a bit of the frequency and activates the warning to you. TRUST ME ! ! ! My V1 a year ago told me I was being "lasered".....it worked perfectly......94 in a 75.
    Just my .02 cent worth of thought.......

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
    I sold my V1.......I can't believe any you guys are still feeling SAFE with a detector. Cops don't drive around any more with the radar gun ON. It is in the Stand-by mode.
    I partially agree with you. However here in Plano a lot of the cops do actually drive around with their KA band radars on a radiating most of the time. Which means I don't need a "fancy" V1. (Actually I purchased one and sent it back 6 days later, not impressed at 400.00).

However a cop who knows what he's doing with his radar or laser will tag you before any detector can warn you off. Like you said it's only going to let you know you're about to be pulled over.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
    I sold my V1.......I can't believe any you guys are still feeling SAFE with a detector. Cops don't drive around any more with the radar gun ON. It is in the Stand-by mode. The only time the cop triggers the unit (especially LASER), is when he's getting your speed. The ONLY thing the detector is telling you (if you're really speeding), is you're gonna' get pulled over. I have many, many cop buddies and they all tell me that same thing. They actually laugh at guys with detectors, 'cause they're gonna' get the ticket for sure. Years ago, the cops drove around with the transmitter on all the time.....no longer. The only time the unit will help you (V1 is the BEST).....is if he's shooting at a car ahead of you and your detector happens to receive a bit of the frequency and activates the warning to you. TRUST ME ! ! ! My V1 a year ago told me I was being "lasered".....it worked perfectly......94 in a 75.
    Just my .02 cent worth of thought.......
    That's what you get for moving to the nation's 2nd Nazi state, behind Virginia. Yes, when you live in flatland with speed cameras and cops that can watch you forever and then flip the switch, I agree, it's much harder to be saved with a detector.

But your statements are flat out wrong in other sections of the country. Massachusetts, being the liberal state that it is, conserves wherever possible. Tons of trees. Which is good if you know the highways well. There are very limited places an officer can hide. And as you know, the V1 can detect from a great distance. If a cop uses laser, you're still OK because the odds he's hitting you are slim. There's usually a good deal of traffic around at almost any time of day. A keen eye and possibly deflection of laser beams can set of the V1 before you are targeted. That's pretty much the same with all New England states.

Which leads me to my favorite. New York. State Troopers on the New York Throughway always leave their Ka band on. Constantly. I can tool around at 90mph and easily get the warning from Ka well before I'm in their sights. It's almost too easy. But many people are like you and think detectors aren't worth it and there are plenty who take the fall for my benefit.

I always say. The best thing for yourself is a good set of eyes and being alert. Combine countermeasures like the V1 and you become much less likely of getting a ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
    I partially agree with you. However here in Plano a lot of the cops do actually drive around with their KA band radars on a radiating most of the time. Which means I don't need a "fancy" V1. (Actually I purchased one and sent it back 6 days later, not impressed at 400.00).

However a cop who knows what he's doing with his radar or laser will tag you before any detector can warn you off. Like you said it's only going to let you know you're about to be pulled over.
    Just like what happens at traffic court. A cop could write down notes pertinent to you and be ready to nail you in court. But since so many don't bother going that far, they don't need to expend the energy for the occasional guy like me who will shoot through his expert testimony like swiss cheese. I'm a drop in the bucket.

Sure, a cop knows how to bust almost every driver out there. But they don't bother being sneaky when he can just sit there with a gun going off steadily and still fill his quota with lemmings.

All you who don't feel they need a V1 or don't think it's worth it don't know how to use it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post

All you who don't feel they need a V1 or don't think it's worth it don't know how to use it properly.
    Bullshit Jim, I bought the thing and used it in Logic mode and Advanced Logic mode. In my area of Plano the fracking thing was going off like a parakeet getting hit with 10,000 volts of electricity. Even passengers riding in my car commented on how noisy the POS was. It almost earned me a ticket from a Plano cop because it was too busy picking up every damn door and alarm in the area to disseminate between the Plano cop coming at me. Thank goodness it was late in his shift and he just wanted to go home that morning at 5:30am vs writing me.

I operated and worked on ESM equipment in the military and fire control radars for the DoD and know what is a POS radar detector and what isn't at a 400.00 price range. You want to trust it, or it works for you in your area of ops then great. Glad it does. But around here it was a fracking POS and got sent back. Know how to use it properly ? Frack you !

JFC
    JFC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS-V

Laser can hit your plate and miss your detector, especially at 500 feet or less. Laser can also be aimed at another car while still setting off your detector.

Has anybody mounted a Blinder jammer on a CTS-V? (I tested a K40 "Defuser" a few years ago and I'm not going to waste my money on one.)

To add to thebigjimsho's point, ten years ago Boston had a scam going where the city mailed tickets to people instead of writing them on the spot. Everybody who went to court won. The city kept going because 2/3 of vehicle owners just paid the fine. Shutting down the program required an order from the state Supreme Court allowing magistrates to void the tickets without a court appearance.

Bullshit Jim, I bought the thing and used it in Logic mode and Advanced Logic mode. In my area of Plano the fracking thing was going off like a parakeet getting hit with 10,000 volts of electricity. Even passengers riding in my car commented on how noisy the POS was. It almost earned me a ticket from a Plano cop because it was too busy picking up every damn door and alarm in the area to disseminate between the Plano cop coming at me. Thank goodness it was late in his shift and he just wanted to go home that morning at 5:30am vs writing me.

I operated and worked on ESM equipment in the military and fire control radars for the DoD and know what is a POS radar detector and what isn't at a 400.00 price range. You want to trust it, or it works for you in your area of ops then great. Glad it does. But around here it was a fracking POS and got sent back. Know how to use it properly ? Frack you !
    Easy there cowboy. So sorry you live in such a shitty part of the world. 12+ years of no tickets with radar and 1 with laser with the superior V1 here in the Northeast.

Last speeding ticket was 1982 and only owned a V1 for 6 days of those 25 years. That was me racing a Porsche 924 in a Triumph TR7 one week before I went to Navy bootcamp.

CTS2NV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): BLK 05 CTS-V (sold) 92 Widebody NSX (current) Looking for V2

V-Max Guest

Did you use the programmable feature of the V1 for your area? If you own a V1 and have not looked at all the programmable features then your missing out on all the features that the V1 offers.

http://www.valentine1.com/lab/MikesLabRpt3.asp

Norm

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.