Radar detectors/jammers revisited... - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Radar detectors/jammers revisited... in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; The following is information provided by a friend. I have no idea about the authenticity, as I live in Virginia ...
    Geno is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Orginal owner; 2004 CTS-V

Re: Radar detectors/jammers revisited...

The following is information provided by a friend. I have no idea about the authenticity, as I live in Virginia and would never break the law by owning a radar detector.

The antidotal evidence suggest that the photo traps run continuosly or use a laser as a triggering mechanism, as my friend has had his Valentine triggered at various bridges and tunnel in the DC area each time he has traverse this area.

Virginia is proud of the fact that it is one of only two places in the country where radar detectors are illegal and therefore has the very best equipment for detecting detectors and catching speeders. My friend has seen a state trooper turn around when a pack of cars were traveling the speed limit in the opposite direction, but one of the cars had a detector (the trooper was apparently looking for the contraband).

If one has a detector, the very best defense for not being detected is to shut off your detector when it detects a radar or laser and then turn it back on when the trap has passed.

A signal from the rear on a Valentine should be given the same priority as if the front arrow lite up.

V-Max Guest

Ohio used to haved the highest population of laser guns but I don't know that to be true now. OSP just got rid of X-band radar and updated with K-band and every once in while Ka-band! They used to be heavily into aircraft measuring your speed every 1/4 mile based on the white painted marks on the road. Only a scanner will pick up the pilot radioing to the patrol cars waiting up the road.

If I run through VA, I just make sure the V1 is not easily seen from the outside. PA is joke with no moving radar, only stationary. Used to be no radar for the locals either but that might have changed. NY state police have bruttal ground force with radar and laser any where from Ohio to Finger Lakes region. Both NY and IN are using POP radar. As soon as the V1 goes off it jumps up to "2" sources. Definitely interesting the first couple of times it happened. Those $250 units have POP detection, don't they?

I have used a detector since 1986 and currently have used a V1 since 1993. Those arrows are worth their weight in gold!

Norm

Silver Dollar is offline Das jus fo decorations
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

I'm kicking myself now for buying the Beltronics.

Wish I'd gone with the V1

tomm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Cadillac CTS VSport

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Dollar View Post
    I'm kicking myself now for buying the Beltronics.

Wish I'd gone with the V1
    Which Beltronics did you buy? If the 995 or RX65 dont regret it. Most Valentine Owners over exagerate how great it is. I own one as well as most other models and its certainly not the best. Yes, Its nice to have arrows and a bogey counter that is never accurate. I can make a video clip of the V1 at a red light next to a small grocery store by my home. The store has one door sensor and the bogey counter shows between 5 to 8 different sources because radar wavs are reflected off of objects and it interprets this as additional threats. The arrows fluctuate from front to back to all three lighting at once even when I am not in front of the actual source.

If you do alot of reading you will find that the V1 also has one real fault is that it Junks alot of real signals thinking that they are not legit threats. This is documented on many sites and I have personally experienced it on my V1. I am not saying that its a bad unit as I do use it only for highway driving but for everyday use the RX65 is my choice.

If you want to do alot of reading on testing of detectors start here: http://www.speedzones.com

JRoller is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '04 CTSV

I have the Passport SR7 with laser shifters. Awesome. BUT:

*****JUST GOT A TICKET FOR 110 IN A 65!!***** traveling from Phoenix to Las Vegas. (Look out for it 10 miles east of Kingman)

Trooper had a stopwatch and a 900+ft strip of road marked. Nothing a detector could detect......just happy I kept my car and got to drive it home....

erp2863 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

That should be an easy one to fight, if it is worth your time. The inaccuracy of that kind of trap is huge.

capt. dan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by nxlr8 View Post

I have mine hardwired into the sunroof (just like in the FAQ). It sits up on top of the rearview mirror and is "invisible" to anyone outside the car... the "tint" on the windshield makes it completely concealed from outsiders looking in...
    How do you get the suction cups to stick to the black dots? Mine holds for about 3 seconds.

Dan

JRoller is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '04 CTSV

Quote Originally Posted by erp2863 View Post
    That should be an easy one to fight, if it is worth your time. The inaccuracy of that kind of trap is huge.
    Probably why they didn't arrest me and impound my car on the spot. The trooper even admitted it was somewhat off. He said it was closer to 125mph and he was cutting me a break (he was right by the way).

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

V1 is the best, period!

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

V-Max Guest

Re: Radar detectors/jammers revisited...p

Tomm, it depends on the radar bands used in your area. Ohio does not used X-band, penably the last to discontinue it, so I shut it off on the V1. There are other programmable features like increasing Ka-band sensitivity which reviewers show the V1 not doing so well in comparisons. But most testers like Craig Peterson will not tell you.

Norm

nxlr8 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Platinum CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by capt. dan View Post
    How do you get the suction cups to stick to the black dots? Mine holds for about 3 seconds.

Dan
    I took a piece of clear packing tape and stuck it to the dots... Actually, I think it's two pieces (double layer)... this makes it nice and "smooth"...

I was still having trouble with the suction cups falling after a day or so... I don't EVER take the mount out of the car, just the V1 itself... so... superglue it was... the suction cups are superglued to the piece of tape... no damage to the car (it's all on the tape) and if you need replacement cups, V1 sell's 'em cheap...

Only downfall to it's placement is the power cord is on the right side of the V1 and it's REALLY tight up against the mirror mount... I have to plug it in before I set it in the mount... no big deal...

BTW... If you go the hardwire route... there is PLENTY of room in the headliner for the remote display "junction" box... I have it tucked up in there, just don't have the remote display installed...

GT04CTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): No GET-RAG or GM products

Quote Originally Posted by nxlr8 View Post
    There is NOTHING like a V1... once you have one, you will NEVER be able to go back to a radar detector that just beeps....
    I have two, one in each car... LOVE it...

And I would do it again!

I have mine hardwired into the sunroof (just like in the FAQ). It sits up on top of the rearview mirror and is "invisible" to anyone outside the car... the "tint" on the windshield makes it completely concealed from outsiders looking in...

From the pictures, you have an older V1, the new ones are smaller in height. If you go to the V1 website, click on upgrades, you can find out what upgrades your particular V1 needs and the cost. Basically, for about 185 bucks, they will send you a brand new V1.

GT

Quote Originally Posted by GT04CTS-V View Post
    From the pictures, you have an older V1, the new ones are smaller in height. If you go to the V1 website, click on upgrades, you can find out what upgrades your particular V1 needs and the cost. Basically, for about 185 bucks, they will send you a brand new V1.
    GT
    Yep... both of my V1's are the 1.7 version... there isn't $189 worth of performance increase in the 1.8... they even tell you that on the site...

"While this version is not quite up to today’s V1 standard for Ka, it’s almost always good enough, and always better than detectors from other makers. X and K performance is excellent. Upgrading merely to improve radar performance is not cost effective, in my opinion, unless you’re concerned about the POP Mode operating in your area. Upgrading does bring other benefits, including our latest laser warning (front and rear), which outperforms the competitors by a wide margin, and POP Protection. Also, you'll get the new Euro Mode."

I agree with Mike Valentine, none of the upgrades are worth $189 to me...

I have thought about buying a 3rd V1 (I have 3 cars) so I don't have to keep swapping 'em... but, it's just not that big a deal to me to move it... I do watch them frequently on eBay and will snag a 1.8 if the price is right though...

GT04CTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): No GET-RAG or GM products

I was just thinking that since the new ones are smaller, they'd fit over the mirror without hitting.

GT

Quote Originally Posted by GT04CTS-V View Post
    I was just thinking that since the new ones are smaller, they'd fit over the mirror without hitting.

GT
    Ah... I see what you mean..

It really doesn't "hit" the mirror... at least for my height, the mirror is at the perfect angle for what I need with the V1 on top... I would guess for a taller person, the 1.8 "might" make a difference...

Didn't really think about that... Good call!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.