Auto tranny in the Vseries
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Auto tranny in the Vseries in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I was up at the Caddy dealer trying to sneak a peak at a CTS-V, and one of the dealer ...
    Spike is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Auto tranny in the Vseries

I was up at the Caddy dealer trying to sneak a peak at a CTS-V, and one of the dealer guys noticed me limping around and asked about it. I banging my knee bad enough a week ago I've had to borrow a slushbox Mitsubishi Galant to get to work the last week or so, leaving the stick shift EVO & Z28 in the garage. After explaining this to the Caddy guy that asked, he mentioned that the CTS-V was to get an automatic tranny next year...

Anyone else heard this rumor, or do you think it's BS??

Frankly, I think at this point in my life I'd probably rather have a slushbox Caddy than a stick shift one. However, I still like the V good enough that I'd buy it as a stick, but if given the choice I'd take the auto tranny instead.

I guess nineteen straight years of driving and owning nothing but stickshifts is finally getting to me, the desire for a slushbox has finally taken seed...

I guess I really am getting old!! doh!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Vrocks is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Re: Auto tranny in the Vseries

Quote Originally Posted by Spike
    I was up at the Caddy dealer trying to sneak a peak at a CTS-V, and one of the dealer guys noticed me limping around and asked about it. I banging my knee bad enough a week ago I've had to borrow a slushbox Mitsubishi Galant to get to work the last week or so, leaving the stick shift EVO & Z28 in the garage. After explaining this to the Caddy guy that asked, he mentioned that the CTS-V was to get an automatic tranny next year...

Anyone else heard this rumor, or do you think it's BS??

Frankly, I think at this point in my life I'd probably rather have a slushbox Caddy than a stick shift one. However, I still like the V good enough that I'd buy it as a stick, but if given the choice I'd take the auto tranny instead.

I guess nineteen straight years of driving and owning nothing but stickshifts is finally getting to me, the desire for a slushbox has finally taken seed...

I guess I really am getting old!! doh!!
    I work (unofficially) at a Cadillac dealership and I haven't heard anything about this. I'll check with a bunch of people and I'll let you know as soon as I can about the auto transmission. I've driven the CTS-V and the car would be great with an auto for a few reasons. Compared to a corvette the V has a lighter more tossable feel (I know it's alot heavier) and it's far more refined over road imperfections. Actually when I was driving the V it felt more refined than a regular CTS. Of course this is how a hi-performance sophisticated sedan should ride and if you threw in an auto it would be more like the E55 rather than the M5. After all it isn't supposed to be a pure performace automobile (like a z06...) offering it with an auto wouldn't do any damage to it's reputation as an M, AMG competitor.

UPDATE: I checked with the guy that orders the cars and he said he hasn't heard anything about an auto being offered on an '05.

GNSCOTT is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I don't think GM has a tranny that can handle it. I know....what about the new Vette's tranny. It is alot easier on a tranny at 390ft lbs and 3400lbs than a 390 ft lb car at 4000ibs. Same goes for the rear. It may be happening, but its not a given that the tranny could handle it with acceptable breakage.

Also it would be subjected to the $1000 gas guzzler tax and I'm sure GM would find a way to make the auto tranny a $$ option instead of the manual.

briandors is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by GNSCOTT
    Also it would be subjected to the $1000 gas guzzler tax and I'm sure GM would find a way to make the auto tranny a $$ option instead of the manual.
    Just like they're doing with the new GTO- manual is optional, costs $695 more, but with gas guzzler on auto it's still cheaper in the end.

Brian

With an auto and the 400hp and 3900#'s it would have to be a beefed tranny that is more expensive than their regular tranny. I can deffinately see GM finding a way to make the Auto tranny the $695 option on the V on top of the gas guzzler tax.

briandors is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by GNSCOTT
    GM finding a way to make the Auto tranny the $695 option on the V on top of the gas guzzler tax.
    No you have it backwards. Read my post again. GM charges an extra $695 for the MANUAL on the GTO. The auto is the included, standard tranny. But since the auto gets socked $1000 for gas guzzler tax, the manual still ends up being $300 cheaper.

Brian

I know GM charges more for the Manual. What I am saying is that I would not put it past GM to charge the $695 for the auto on the V because of the work that might have to go into it so it can handle the V's torque and weight and still have good off the line performance.They can make a tranny handle that torque and weight, they do it on their trucks, but trucks have weak 1st gear ratios. Its onother reason that the Vettes performance axle option on the auto is only 3.15. Its a combination of weight , torque, rear ratios and 1st gear ratios.

rueben44 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Wait a second are you guys sure about that? I thought the GTO had a manual standard and the Auto was the option that cost extra.

Ahhh yes I had it mixed up in my mind. It is a standard auto optional manual. I do remember that is was backwards.

Nick C is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I would expect 06 model to be available with auto transmission. GM will have A6 ready by that time for RWD cars. I would also expect Corvette to switch to A6 at that time.

Vrocks is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

I also heard about the future use of heavy duty auto 6's in future V series cars like the xlr-v, sts-v and cts-v like Nick C.

TNT V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

At the Mpls auto show, the pretty girl on the pedestal showcasing the CTS-V said there would be both an auto and all-wheel version coming. I would expect both of these would come with a lower output engine...maybe a detuned LS1. I don't think either one of those could handle the LS6 engine.:rolleyes2

lasstss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

They will need an automatic capable of routinely handling 400ft lbs. Right now they dont have one. When I had my impala we were going thru 4L60's like nobodys business. I finally sent my trans to Rossler (does Lingenfelter work).

They made it bullet proof but it cost a fortune. Unless GM has something new or a converted allison, we may not see an automatic on a ZO-6 motor for a while.

CTSV OWNER is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV

Quote Originally Posted by lasstss
    They will need an automatic capable of routinely handling 400ft lbs. Right now they dont have one. When I had my impala we were going thru 4L60's like nobodys business. I finally sent my trans to Rossler (does Lingenfelter work).

They made it bullet proof but it cost a fortune. Unless GM has something new or a converted allison, we may not see an automatic on a ZO-6 motor for a while.
    Your right the 4L60 can be made to handle the job but at what cost could GM afford to make it strong enough? I had a 4L60 in my daily driven 425 HP '79 Malibu that would run high 12's in the QTR mile but it cost a bunch to make it hold up. Probably would have cost less to go with a non OD unit and just spent the money on gas.

lasstss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

With the volume of $4L's that GM makes adding a better input shaft, clutches, high stall converter etc etc would cost peanuts. It seems they design on the edge of cost and function.

Another thing no one has taken into consideration is the added weight of an auto tranny.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.