Cadillac Owners Forum banner
180K views 466 replies 188 participants last post by  04caddyv 
#1 ·
Due to a aquisition I expect in the next few days, the Navigation flash/firmware DVD will be available to all CTS-V/ CTS owners. Few points of clarity:

This is NOT an updated Map dvd. This disc will update the bios firmware on your dvd system allowing you to USE updated discs (from cadillac, zenrin, etc). It will also get rid of the "stuck in michigan" issue that some had with updated discs.

The update is provided AT YOUR OWN RISK. You apparently can mess up your nav system if you dont do the update correctly. So if you mess up your nav system cause you didnt follow directions, its on YOU!

This is not a illegal disc or pirate firmware. It is the actual Cadillac firmware for this nav system distributed by cadillac.

We are not violating any copyright laws as we are not copying the material, and presumably, everyone is entitled to the system firmware update (E-mail me if you disagree). We are NOT sending you a copy of the disc, just sending you a disc to update the firmware, and then you MUST to mail it back (see below)

Here is what is required:
1. You must e-mail me (ctsvett@verizon.net) with the subject "nav firmware dvd". Include your name, forum name, mailing address, and phone number.
2. You will be required to pay for shipping/postage and place a deposit on the disc in case you do not return it (the deposit may be as high as $200 to secure the DVD- we have to replace it if you dont send it back). All payment will be made via paypal (if your paypal address is different than the e-mail you send from, include that in the e-mail to me as well!).
3. If you are not a donater to the FAQ or if you are not a supporting member on this forum, you may not want to send me an e-mail (I will be happy to explain why that is if someone wants to know).

We will be making a list of those interested in this flash and sending the disc around according to a priority list that we will make.

The disc will ship to the first person once we receive it (fingers crossed by the early next week).

Any questions, e-mail me or heavymetals.

Reed

See less See more
#243 ·
Another funny thing is the search in thread function obviously doesn't work. I hit LAX and it said it returned zero results. Same with "los" and same with "angeles" and any combination of the capital letter no capital letter spelling of them all (ie - lax, LAX, Angeles, angeles, etc).

#246 ·
I have been having a problem with my nav...My 1st disk stopped working, probably due to a few scratches (came with the car I bought used). I bought a brand new disk less than a year ago, but now it has stopped working. If you look at the disk it looks brand-spankin'-new without any scratches at all. One day it became intermittant, then the next it just stopped altogether.

I also have what I believe to be flash disk, and was hoping to get confirmation...It is a Yellow disk "Software Update Disk" GM p/n 15269176.

Also, my service tech told me a while back (before I baught a replacement nav disk) that the Nav disks were very "delicate". Are disks by other compatible companies less likely to stop working for no apparent reason?

I just re-flashed with this yellow disk, and still nothing. The DVD still read the flash disk, and still reads movie DVD's.....What gives?

One more thing...From the moment I put the new nav disk in almost a year ago, it was NEVER removed untill it stopped working.

My screen reads "Disk Error" when I press the nav button.

#248 ·
I was going to do the firmware update a couple years back when this thread started, but have since moved to Hawaii from Cali. ...(And since the nav dvds don't work here, it was low on my priority.) So I never got in on the deal where everyone was sharing the update disk.
If anyone still has one, could you please mail it to me (I will reimburse mailing expenses via paypal if you like)
I will use it right away and send it back or forward it to the next person. Mahalo

#249 ·
FYI - The Nav Disk says on the front of it something to the effect of "to be used on units installed in cars manufactured February 2005 and prior"

I donated to Heavy's firmware fund for no reason other than the satisfaction of learning that fact and then sharing it now.

For the record... I also learned that the Navteq 6.7 DVD used in Inifiniti/Nissan vehicles is fully compatible with our Nav units. Consequently if one were to buy this disk and make a fully functional image of it for safe keeping; that image of said DVD is a bit over 7GB and can be burned to a DVD-DL disk with relative ease.

#250 ·
... I also learned that the Navteq 6.7 DVD used in Inifiniti/Nissan vehicles is fully compatible with our Nav units.
Hey greddy,
Do you have one of the Navteq disks?...Do you happen to know if Hawaii is included coverage area?

When I moved here two years ago Hawaii wasn't covered...
I'm not sure if there anything is out there that will work as of now.
...If anyone has any info, it would be appreciated.

#252 ·
I have ran the yellow upgrade disc of my own and it doesn't seem to help me out. My upgrade nav disc still sits and spins in the dvd player. So maybe I haven't taken enough time to figure it out. But my Nav also always resets to California when I take the disc out.... I am in Minneapolis. Any ideas? Is this a different upgrade disc. If so I would love to know because I am using the 2004 Nav even though I have the 2006.

#254 ·
I've got an 05 V and need to update from my original dvd which is like 2003. Nothing shown built in the last 6 years. I likely have the original firmware in my unit. Does anyone have a clear process for what I need to do? I have been reading all morning and am now only more confused. Does anyone have a firmware update and clear instructions, and a "recent" nav disk I can try and send it all back to you with a token of my appreciation via paypal? If someone has a backup disk that works I am willing to try. please pm me.

#255 ·
Hey Heavy,
Got the upgrade disk today and uploaded it:
Put it in and it loaded the new program just fine,
...But then it went to: "Loading Voice Guidance Data" and the progress bar was red instead of blue.... when it finished it ejected the disk and said "Program Loading Completed". (I had to put in the Nav disk for that screen to go away.)
Then just out of curiosity, I put the upgrade disk back in to see if it would just eject it, but it didn't... it did the whole loading sequence all over again... Is that normal? I was expecting it to just spit it back out if it had the new program.
Well I didn't do it any more, I just put the disk into the SAE and got it back in the mail and on it's way back to you. Thanks a bunch for sending it out so quick and making it so easy to return.

#261 ·
Does anyone know what type of files/file system is on the update disc? Anyone ever try decompiling the bin to build custom firmware. Is it a form of WinCE that is running on our Nav units? I would think you could edit simple images to give it a custom look at least. I would love to mess around with it if I had my hands on an update disc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.