Cadillac Owners Forum banner
180K views 466 replies 188 participants last post by  04caddyv 
#1 ·
Due to a aquisition I expect in the next few days, the Navigation flash/firmware DVD will be available to all CTS-V/ CTS owners. Few points of clarity:

This is NOT an updated Map dvd. This disc will update the bios firmware on your dvd system allowing you to USE updated discs (from cadillac, zenrin, etc). It will also get rid of the "stuck in michigan" issue that some had with updated discs.

The update is provided AT YOUR OWN RISK. You apparently can mess up your nav system if you dont do the update correctly. So if you mess up your nav system cause you didnt follow directions, its on YOU!

This is not a illegal disc or pirate firmware. It is the actual Cadillac firmware for this nav system distributed by cadillac.

We are not violating any copyright laws as we are not copying the material, and presumably, everyone is entitled to the system firmware update (E-mail me if you disagree). We are NOT sending you a copy of the disc, just sending you a disc to update the firmware, and then you MUST to mail it back (see below)

Here is what is required:
1. You must e-mail me (ctsvett@verizon.net) with the subject "nav firmware dvd". Include your name, forum name, mailing address, and phone number.
2. You will be required to pay for shipping/postage and place a deposit on the disc in case you do not return it (the deposit may be as high as $200 to secure the DVD- we have to replace it if you dont send it back). All payment will be made via paypal (if your paypal address is different than the e-mail you send from, include that in the e-mail to me as well!).
3. If you are not a donater to the FAQ or if you are not a supporting member on this forum, you may not want to send me an e-mail (I will be happy to explain why that is if someone wants to know).

We will be making a list of those interested in this flash and sending the disc around according to a priority list that we will make.

The disc will ship to the first person once we receive it (fingers crossed by the early next week).

Any questions, e-mail me or heavymetals.

Reed

See less See more
#9 ·
Re: Navagation system update (firmware)

I wanted to post a THANKS to the three members who supplied the flash CD.

That is just one of the reasons why I think this forum is one of the best. :thumbsup:
Many thanks from me as well.
This forum and it's members rock. :worship:

I just got my flash via heavymetals.
Therefore, I can be removed from the circulation list, as well as drive outside of Michigan.

#12 ·

Yes, I'm a newbie-owner, but what does this firmware update provide?

- ncdave
The upgrade is for 04 and early 05's that have the "stuck in Michigan" problem with the upgraded nav DVD.

That is, one cannot enter a destination unless it is in Michigan.

#15 ·

Got the flash and went to update the CTS-V and the flash was kicked out so the Nav unit did not need to be updated. However, the CTS did need the flash and it took about 15 minutes to complete. Everything worked fine.

Neither of my cars had the stuck in Michican problem, so you can't necessarly tell if you might need the flash by that problem alone.

Thanks to everyone involved. :thumbsup:

#114 ·
Got the flash and went to update the CTS-V and the flash was kicked out so the Nav unit did not need to be updated.
I got the flash disc from heavymetals today. When I put it in, it spins up and thinks for a minute, then says across the bottom of the screeen "No applicable program found" (or something like that). It didn't eject the disc on its own, though - I waited another minute or two and then ejected it myself.

I bought an '05 a couple weeks ago and don't even have a map disc, so I'm not sure if I need the firmware update. From what I've gathered if I buy the update map disc from www.gmnavdisc.com I'll need to update the firmware to use the updated disc, right?
My proper location came up (not in Michigan :)) and I was able to program in a few POIs that are in New England.

So I guess all this means I didn't need the reflash? It'll be in the mail on Monday to head back to heavymetals.

#17 ·

Got the flash disk in Friday's mail. Update was effortless and successful. Mailed back the disk that afternoon. Works perfectly in my 04 with the Zenrin disk. Thanks guys -- thanks HeavyMetals! :yup:

#27 ·

Would you recommend we do this even if we don't have the stuck in Michigan problem? I use a Zenrin 6.4 disc and have no problems....that being said, I have no idea what year my nav is (didn't come with my car)

#29 ·

If you don't have the "stuck in Michigan" problem, you don't need the flash.
I did not have the "stuck in Michigan" problem on either my CTS-V or CTS. The Flash was kicked out of the CTS-V but did upload in the CTS. So what I would say is that if you have a question whether you need it or not you should get it and try to do the flash. If you indeed don't need it the DVD will eject and tell you you don't need it, but if you do need it, it will install. Then you will know for sure.

:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.