Navigation system update (firmware) - Page 18
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Navigation system update (firmware) in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; That's a new one on me. I guess I will tell people to reinsert the flash CD just to make ...
    heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

Re: Navigation system update (firmware)

That's a new one on me.

I guess I will tell people to reinsert the flash CD just to make sure that the flash got done.

Good find!

Glad it worked for ya!

Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk

Hey Heavy, I just sent you a PM. Let me know what else is required to get the flash disc.

Thanks!

shawtd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS V

Is there a clear way to know if you need the update?

Thanks for the awesome forums.

The only way to know (that I know of) is to try a new map disc and try to enter a destination that is not in Michigan.

If you can't, you need the firmware update.

shawtd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS V

Thanks Heavy. I'm picking up my V next week. I'll ask the current owner if he updated it to get a clue. Then start looking for a firmware update if needed.

Thanks again.

Houdini is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MT, 2007 CTS-V (Sold)

Does anyone know what type of files/file system is on the update disc? Anyone ever try decompiling the bin to build custom firmware. Is it a form of WinCE that is running on our Nav units? I would think you could edit simple images to give it a custom look at least. I would love to mess around with it if I had my hands on an update disc.

I was told it is Windows CE.

The firmware disc has "hidden tracks" so it doesn't lend itself to being copied.

I wouldn't waste my time trying to customize the stock unit.

It is an outdated POS.

Would be neat to remove the nag screens ("agree"), and maybe add custom display images (simple stuff). If the firmware also controls the dvd functions, maybe I could enable full control while moving. I'm not thinking drastic changes..just messing around to see what is possible.

CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq

Quote Originally Posted by Houdini View Post
    Would be neat to remove the nag screens ("agree"), and maybe add custom display images (simple stuff). If the firmware also controls the dvd functions, maybe I could enable full control while moving. I'm not thinking drastic changes..just messing around to see what is possible.
    I would buy that custom firmware disc if you can make it and I'm sure others as well if the price was right.

I'd need to get access to the update disc to even see if it was possible. I tend to believe heavy when he says he wouldn't waste his time but I think I'd still like to try.

All those "agree" things interact with the PCM.

Removing them may effect the operation of driving modes.

If you want a project and you have some software skills, contact me about hacking the radio/nav.

What I really want is to find someone who knows the Class II crap that the system runs on.

My "holy grail" is a plug in substitute for the radio/nav that interpets the error codes (class II) and puts them up on a replacement newer system with a touch screen.

Best I have come up with so far is stripping out all the guts and designing an interface that will give precedence for error codes, replacing the screen with a touch screen and then wiring in a computer/entertainment/nav.

I almost bought a radio/nav to hack at, but my clutch project took over.

Besides, I wanted to work on something that wouldn't cost umpteen dollars to develope.

I hear ya on the umpteen dollars.... I have other mods in mind first. I do have software skills (mostly in java and enterprise web application development) but have VERY LITTLE experience with WinCE embedded devices; however, I'm betting that WinCE ROM building is somewhat similar to ROM building for Windows Mobile phones (I have experience with that and it is sort of a hobby for me). I wish I knew even a little bit about the CLASS II GMLAN system. If you have extra info on the nav system (other than what is available in this forum or the faq) please send it my way.

yonexsp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by heavymetals View Post
    All those "agree" things interact with the PCM.

Removing them may effect the operation of driving modes.

If you want a project and you have some software skills, contact me about hacking the radio/nav.

What I really want is to find someone who knows the Class II crap that the system runs on.

My "holy grail" is a plug in substitute for the radio/nav that interpets the error codes (class II) and puts them up on a replacement newer system with a touch screen.

Best I have come up with so far is stripping out all the guts and designing an interface that will give precedence for error codes, replacing the screen with a touch screen and then wiring in a computer/entertainment/nav.

I almost bought a radio/nav to hack at, but my clutch project took over.

Besides, I wanted to work on something that wouldn't cost umpteen dollars to develope.
    I'd happily drop $1000+ for a drop in modern replacement, but I don't think it will ever happen.

Details is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

I've got a strange one. My newer disk had been working for some time (about a couple years). In the last couple months I am stuck in Michigan. I waould assume that it is firmware, but not sure why it worked before.

If anyone has a disk I would appreciate a PM. I will pay for the shipping if you would lend it.

Thanks,
    Craig

wizeguy1110 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS

I just received the most recent Navteq disk for an Infinite/Nissan (6.8). It loads and works great for POIs and general driving but it will not let me enter a destination outside of Michigan. It came with a flash update cd. Can I use that CD in my CTS since it is for the Infiniti/Nissan? Or do I need a different disk?

Thanks,

Brad

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.