Cadillac Owners Forum banner
180K views 466 replies 188 participants last post by  04caddyv 
#1 ·
Due to a aquisition I expect in the next few days, the Navigation flash/firmware DVD will be available to all CTS-V/ CTS owners. Few points of clarity:

This is NOT an updated Map dvd. This disc will update the bios firmware on your dvd system allowing you to USE updated discs (from cadillac, zenrin, etc). It will also get rid of the "stuck in michigan" issue that some had with updated discs.

The update is provided AT YOUR OWN RISK. You apparently can mess up your nav system if you dont do the update correctly. So if you mess up your nav system cause you didnt follow directions, its on YOU!

This is not a illegal disc or pirate firmware. It is the actual Cadillac firmware for this nav system distributed by cadillac.

We are not violating any copyright laws as we are not copying the material, and presumably, everyone is entitled to the system firmware update (E-mail me if you disagree). We are NOT sending you a copy of the disc, just sending you a disc to update the firmware, and then you MUST to mail it back (see below)

Here is what is required:
1. You must e-mail me (ctsvett@verizon.net) with the subject "nav firmware dvd". Include your name, forum name, mailing address, and phone number.
2. You will be required to pay for shipping/postage and place a deposit on the disc in case you do not return it (the deposit may be as high as $200 to secure the DVD- we have to replace it if you dont send it back). All payment will be made via paypal (if your paypal address is different than the e-mail you send from, include that in the e-mail to me as well!).
3. If you are not a donater to the FAQ or if you are not a supporting member on this forum, you may not want to send me an e-mail (I will be happy to explain why that is if someone wants to know).

We will be making a list of those interested in this flash and sending the disc around according to a priority list that we will make.

The disc will ship to the first person once we receive it (fingers crossed by the early next week).

Any questions, e-mail me or heavymetals.

Reed

See less See more
#447 ·
FYI - for those that are looking for the update disk, Heavy appears to be charging $100 to use it.

When I questioned the $100 and told him I thought it was 'shady' to charge for something he got free, he took his ball and went home.

A deposit I understand. Charging $100 isn't. I just call them as I see them.

#450 ·
Just read the first page of this thread. Look at post 95, 97, 104, etc.

Many people sent him their disk free of charge for him to loan out to others as they needed it. I don't think any of them intended this to be a for-profit endeavor. He's now charging $100 to use of the disk. You tell me what that's called.

#451 ·
KINGFRED said:
Is there a upgrade dis for the 2004 Cadillac dts...sedan
The newest map disk is from '09.

----------

CoSteve said:
Just read the first page of this thread. Look at post 95, 97, 104, etc.

Many people sent him their disk free of charge for him to loan out to others as they needed it. I don't think any of them intended this to be a for-profit endeavor. He's now charging $100 to use of the disk. You tell me what that's called.
Is it a $100 charge, or a deposit that's refunded upon return of the disk?

#452 ·
Is it a $100 charge, or a deposit that's refunded upon return of the disk?
Based on post #448, it is a $100 charge. There are multiple posts in this thread in which heavymetals thanks people for donating their disks, so yeah, I'd say that's pretty shady to turn around and charge people to use said donated disks.

Capitalism at its finest.

#455 · (Edited)
Chris, But is the disc copyrighted, and/or does GM - or whoever the source - grant license for reproduction to a buyer ? If a GM dealer gets the disc for free, do they then upgrade an owner's system for - free ?

If we're supporting pirated copyright material the FTC might want to be involved.

EDIT: It comes to light that the discs are (were) free to anyone, so there should be no problem with passing them around. Return postage remitted ?

#457 ·
the discs are copyrighted

they are only available to dealers (and the dealers get them for free unless they order a bunch of them since they're only supposed to need one)

as for what a dealer is going to want to charge someone for updating their nav system firmware ... well that's up to each individual dealer

in theory these cars should have been under warranty when the firmware came out and the dealers should have been able to get paid by GM

we have updated the firmware in GuySeminerio's two STS-Vs for the bug in the HUD at no cost but as I recall that update only takes a few minutes of our time to do

#456 ·
In 2014 and into the future, unless you are a serious stickler for precise factory originality, even "free" is too much money to spend on these old CTS-V nav units.

For about that same $100 that Heavy used to charge (until yesterday) to "update" the antique nav software to run 2009 maps, you can instead buy a low-spec CTS DIC head unit without nav on Ebay, and then modify it to add a modern double-DIN head unit with current navigation, Bluetooth, and all mod cons.

Then you're completely free of the GM "curated NAV experience" forever afterwards, and you still keep your DIC messages.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...last-word-dic-retention-aftermarket-head.html

Save your factory nav head unit for donation to this place: http://oldcomputers.net/

Maybe one day, both my old IBM 286 PC and my CTS-V Nav head unit will be worth something to someone.

But I'm not counting on it any time soon.

#460 · (Edited)
So WHAT! That makes it illegal to copy a disk, but it does not mean that legally acquired disks cannot be bought and sold in the open market. "The first-sale doctrine creates a basic exception to the copyright holder's distribution right. Once the work is lawfully sold or even transferred gratuitously, the copyright owner's interest in the material object in which the copyrighted work is embodied is exhausted. The owner of the material object can then dispose of it as he sees fit. Thus, one who buys a copy of a book is entitled to resell it, rent it, give it away, or destroy it. However, the owner of the copy of the book will not be able to make new copies of the book because the first-sale doctrine does not limit copyright owner's reproduction right. The rationale of the doctrine is to prevent the copyright owner from restraining the free alienability of goods. Without the doctrine, a possessor of a copy of a copyrighted work would have to negotiate with the copyright owner every time he wished to dispose of his copy. After the initial transfer of ownership of a legal copy of a copyrighted work, the first-sale doctrine exhausts copyright holder's right to control how ownership of that copy can be disposed of. For this reason, this doctrine is also referred to as "exhaustion rule." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-sale_doctrine

#464 ·
A deposit I completely understand. But $100 to borrow a CD? That's ridiculous. Regardless of what a dealer charges, I don't see how letting someone use a disk would warrant anything more than a $10 (or so) "thank you". Is that the same as letting a friend borrow your car, and charging them half the book value? But to each their own I guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.