Cadillac Owners Forum banner
30K views 42 replies 24 participants last post by  odla 
#1 ·
I have pulled, and pulled, and pulled, and no go, the shift knob won't come off. Am I a girlie-man??:confused: I feel like any harder and the whole transmission will be on top of the dash board. Any other "tricks" to get this thing off? I checked the Cadillac CTS / CTS-V and STS / STS-V Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) answer page already. The corvette instructions noted there mention a "key" thats needs removal; that doesn't apply to ours, right? Once again, thanks for your help. (Maybe I'll bring my friends Hummer over and winch it off.................)

#4 ·
First of all, StealthV, thank you for the !CAGS Elim. Easy hook-up and works great. Now, back to the knob. I'm actually afraid to either bust my hand or break something in the car. I've put that much forward/upward pressure on the shifter. 06's do anything different with the installation? I think its glued in with epoxy!!!! Guess I need to form a girlie-man club..........

#5 ·
Sounds like we need some more input from the UUC mod people. All of them must have gone through this step :worship: (no girlie-men among them I guess). I am going to do my UUC upgrade this weekend, so any additional input would be welcome. I also noticed an aftermarket shift knob in one of the pics. Anyone know who makes them and how they attach with this notched push on shift lever?

#7 ·
#8 ·
I had mine put in (I'm a girlie man), the mechanic said it was a bittch! Hammers, screw drivers, prybar...The knob got all messed up! He sat it in the sun and the rapping shrank to normal. Apparently he spent an hour trying to get it off.

#10 ·
well, for me everytime I shifted a little too hard on my 1-2's my knob popped off...I too originally tried doing it the way the instructions say with no luck, so I put the car in 2nd and pull back with a little jolt...and up it comes, easy as pie...might wanna try that, because no matter what I cannot get mine to come off by pushing forward.

#17 ·
Don't forget to throw the factory hunk of poo shift knob in the trash when it comes off.

#20 ·
I think the hole in the side of your core is for a set screw, I could be wrong, I didnt really look that hard as I didnt go hulk on it and tear it in two haha. Maybe you can slip it back on and tighten the set screw..if it is a set screw.
Im not sure what else to do in your situation...is it still under warranty? Mayne have a dealership replace it and start over?

Doesn't PISNUOFF buy them as cores?
Yes. Buys your core back from you buy refunding from your original payment to him.

#24 ·
Yeah any upward pulling, and it's like the core just slides out... I guess some knobs are in pressured in there tighter than others...

Is there a set screw in there? maybe I'll have to tighten it.
Think I'm going to screw a hole in the other side and slide a piece of steal in there. Trying not to damage anything including the stock knob. I think removing the whole shifter assembly will be too much for this project.

#23 ·
No matter what I tried, I couldn't get the knob off of my shifter (even had multiple people try different times and at the same time). I just grabbed a Dremel and went to town on it as I was replacing it with a V2 knob and didn't care if the stock knob got messed up. Just be careful not to go too deep and cut into the shifter itself (I went slightly too deep once and left a small "scratch" on it, but nothing that would cause any issue).

#25 ·
There was definitely no set screw in mine.

Just twist it (while pulling up). I had to twist mine to get it off, and its back on there just fine now. Warnings are there because it COULD damage it. If you're reasonable with it, it should be fine though. No more risk than doing what you're doing now anyway.

#26 ·
I might have discovered the secret here....Or just gotten lucky. I tried all of the pulling techniques and damn near destroyed my shift knob from pulling up so hard. I gave up and thought to myself, why not try PUSHING/LIFTING instead of pulling. I lifted the boot cover grabbed the shifter lever and lifted up...It popped right off with very little effort.

#28 ·
I might have discovered the secret here....Or just gotten lucky. I tried all of the pulling techniques and damn near destroyed my shift knob from pulling up so hard. I gave up and thought to myself, why not try PUSHING/LIFTING instead of pulling. I lifted the boot cover grabbed the shifter lever and lifted up...It popped right off with very little effort.
And perfecto... kinda the same concept, thanks! and worked great... Being mine was tore apart lol I just had another party hold the other side and pull... Seems the trick was the very gradual twist back and forth and like the first time having sex, you can feel it juuuuuust start to slip... lol and JENGA! Popped right off.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum.../281546-wtb-cts-v-shift-knob.html#post3248710

#27 ·
And now that you've done that, get a properly shaped, weighted shift knob and a good shifter. The stock set up is crap.

#29 ·
I tried twisting it off at first and I think I broke something internally on the knob. It twists freely and it was a breeze pulling it off once I figured out that's how it's supposed to be removed.

Any ideas on how to get it to not twist? I'm not sure if I should epoxy the knob on or not...

How much does a new v1 or v2 knob cost?

#30 ·
I tried twisting it off at first and I think I broke something internally on the knob. It twists freely and it was a breeze pulling it off once I figured out that's how it's supposed to be removed.

Any ideas on how to get it to not twist? I'm not sure if I should epoxy the knob on or not...

How much does a new v1 or v2 knob cost?
When I bought my V2 knob from Lindsay, it was around $100. Maybe a little more...

#33 ·
I have had mine on and off while I was changing the shifter, rebuilding trans, etc. One day it decided to not want to come off. I was already planning on installing a TWM Performance weighted shifter so it was not a big deal when I started cutting it off. It refused to come off the last time I needed it to. Hated to destroy it but didn't have a choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.