I changed my oil. With 15w-50 mobile 1. And maybe its in my head but....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, I changed my oil. With 15w-50 mobile 1. And maybe its in my head but.... in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I changed my oil. With 15w-50 mobile 1. And maybe its in my head but it feels like the car ...
    1QUICKV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS-V SERIES

I changed my oil. With 15w-50 mobile 1. And maybe its in my head but....

I changed my oil. With 15w-50 mobile 1. And maybe its in my head but it feels like the car has a lot more hp. the car moves a lot faster then it used to. From a dead stop the car just moves faster then i think it used to. Does the computer adjust as the oil goes bad? but im not saying the oil had something to do with the car moving faster. i always change the oil at 2,ooo miles or so, because of how i drive. and am i crazy to put 15w50 in? race car put straight 50 motor oil. 5w-30 is water with a yellow die....

and another thing, does anybody no if exhaust cutouts add hp on a fly or does the computer have to adjust the fuel and air mixtures?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

LV_V is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 Evo Green V Coupe - 6MT

Re: I changed my oil. With 15w-50 mobile 1. And maybe its in my head but....

Its a waste in the LS6 to change your Mobile 1 every 2k miles. Unless you're dipping your dipstick in the dirt before you reinsert it

i tell you your write but i had 10w 30 mobile one extended and it was like water. and some how the oil rest it self some how....

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Why wouldn't anyone use 5w-30 Mobil 1 as specified by GM? The viscosity varies with temperature as it is designed to do. It lubricates, protects, and cools the engine components just fine.

'Nuff said.

Barak is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I wonder who's write [sic]?

OldRoadDawg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 1QUICKV View Post
    and am i crazy to put 15w50 in?

rbrown81 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V

I used to change my oil every 3000 miles until I had a chat with a friend who works as a lead engineer on a joint venture between shell and mobil/exxon developing new oils and additives. He told me that while he appreciates the business, modern synthetics have no business being changed every 3000 miles. So long as the filter is kept clean, you can run mobil 1 for up to 10,000 miles.

Now I wouldnt do this myself as I am quite paranoid. However, I do run my oil for 5000 miles with a filter change every 2500. With the price of Mobil 1 these days, it saves me a pretty penny and leaves more for mods

crypto_coyle79 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 redline V

you can call me crazy but I change my oil when the car tells me too, about 7-9000 miles. Although I have to add 1 quart in 1/2s over that time do to good old LS* oil usage < OIL
    and when I say " I change " I mean sombody else

6104696 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

another oil change thread. Always a lively topic.

Prior to the V, I was a dino oil man who hcanged the oil every 3K. With the V and the pricey synthetic, I've been waiting till I had 20% usage left (though the first oil change was at 1K and the second was at 3K due to the LS6 metal shavings).

The new mustang GT has no magnet on the drain plug so I can't judge metal. It came with a synthetic blend (5w-20). I've swapped that out with dino oil at 1400 miles; it was pretty clean. At 3K miles I'll swap that out again, switch to Mobil 1, and go to a 5K-6K routine.

after close to 30 years of driving I've never had an oil or lubrication related problem (though I generally will not keep a car much past 80k miles or so....)

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by 6104696 View Post
    (though I generally will not keep a car much past 80k miles or so....)
    You elitist snob, you!

6104696 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    You elitist snob, you!
    it is my civic duty to give others the opportunity to own perfectly maintained, affordable, and reliable, pre-enjoyed enthusiasts cars.

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Mobil 1 Synth with filter 5K miles no matter what the life monitor says.

calicadi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 1QUICKV View Post
    I changed my oil. With 15w-50 mobile 1. And maybe its in my head but it feels like the car has a lot more hp. the car moves a lot faster then it used to. From a dead stop the car just moves faster then i think it used to. Does the computer adjust as the oil goes bad? but im not saying the oil had something to do with the car moving faster. i always change the oil at 2,ooo miles or so, because of how i drive. and am i crazy to put 15w50 in? race car put straight 50 motor oil. 5w-30 is water with a yellow die....

and another thing, does anybody no if exhaust cutouts add hp on a fly or does the computer have to adjust the fuel and air mixtures?
    It's not in your head unless it's in mine, too. On fresh Mobil 1 the engine spins up faster. I doubt it's measureable in terms of horsepower increase, but could be. Also doubt the computer adjusts the engine in relation to oil life. But it does keep track of factors besides mileage that contribute to shortening the oil lifespan.

thanks for the info. but fresh oil never hurt the motor. i could never wait until 5,000 mile to change my oil, i just get to crazy and just want to do it.

50 4Ever is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V (Thunder Grey)

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    Why wouldn't anyone use 5w-30 Mobil 1 as specified by GM? The viscosity varies with temperature as it is designed to do. It lubricates, protects, and cools the engine components just fine.

'Nuff said.
    I wonder that also. I use 5W-30 and change it when the oil life is down to just below 10% (It goes down about 3% every time I fill up iwith gas).

The tolerances in the LSx engines are such that you should only run 5W-30, according to Dave Hill, the Corvette Chief Engineer that recently retired.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.