I changed my oil. With 15w-50 mobile 1. And maybe its in my head but.... - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, I changed my oil. With 15w-50 mobile 1. And maybe its in my head but.... in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Great info Darkman....looks like I'll give the Royal Purple 0W-40 a try.....is that the weight you were thinking as well ...
    mberisha is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 Black Escalade AWD & '06 Black CTS-V

Re: I changed my oil. With 15w-50 mobile 1. And maybe its in my head but....

Great info Darkman....looks like I'll give the Royal Purple 0W-40 a try.....is that the weight you were thinking as well for the Royal Purple?

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by mberisha View Post
    Great info Darkman....looks like I'll give the Royal Purple 0W-40 a try.....is that the weight you were thinking as well for the Royal Purple?
    Yes on the 0W-40.

To see if the new oil is doing what you need it to do - check your current oil pressure at full operating temperature. I cannot give you a specific target because the oil pressure gauges on these cars vary too much. In theory, it should be about 10 psi for every 1,000 rpm, but it will vary. The new oil should be able to achieve the same oil pressure under the more stressful conditions you have described (sustained 120 mph, etc.) . If the new oil falls short in terms of oil pressure, then you would go to a higher viscosity.

Awesome info...and I can't thank you enough for all the help and walking me through the oil choices...do you take PayPal?

I'm changing the oil first thing in the morning (7hrs ahead of you)...and I'll report back when I punch those AutoBahn runs with the new oil weights!

mstrjon32 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): NONE

Quote Originally Posted by mberisha View Post
    What concerns me...is usually we'll do an AutoBahn run...and then do a "Bavarain Hill Climb" which is usually 3rd gear pegged for 5-6 mins.....and then turn around....go downhill...and then jump back on the Autobahn taking turns passing each other 4th gear pegged....and then cruise at 5th.
    (psssst...We live in Rheinland-Pfalz, not in Bavaria))

Quote Originally Posted by mstrjon32 View Post
    (psssst...We live in Rheinland-Pfalz, not in Bavaria))
    Rog....but EVERYONE knows what Bavaria is....not what Rheinland-Pflaz is....ahhahhaah....rookie!

JDB
    JDB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 Raven/Ebony CTS-V with toys

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    Their is nothing wrong with Mobil1 0W-40 except it is really a 30 weight disguised as a 40 weight. I suspect, but do not know, that Mobil calls it a 40 weight to qualify under a Mercedes or other European specification. When I used it, the used oil analysis rated it as a 30 weight after very short periods. Used for extended periods it still provided the protection of a good 30 weight. Do you have any other options (at the Ramstein BX) in the 40 weight category?
    Yup...it's a 30 weight in no time. Blackstone tested in Audi applications. Audi changed it's requirement to 5w40 syn oils. I would not use the 0w40 in my V. I switched to M1 5w40 TDT when I put a bigger turbo on my A4. But its on the heavy side for a V probably. Need send in that sample of M1 5w30 to Blackstone to see if I'm sticking with that in the V.

kevm14 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V

Seems like GC 0W-30 would be ideal for these conditions.

I also have a theory that thinner oils (to a point) get into more crevices and, thus, pull more heat away from critical components (remember oil is also a coolant). This manifests as higher oil temps. But it should reduce overall engine temps, possibly reflected in the coolant temp if your system is at 100% capacity (at 225° I'd say it is). So an experimental way to figure this out would be to run different oils and see if the coolant temp responds opposite to the oil temp. You'd be limited to exchanging the heat to air via the oil pan, but at a higher temp, you'll be shedding more heat.

The oil has a job to do, and its job is not necessarily to run as cool as possible.

So did you put new oil in it today Met, or what? What did you go with?

Quote Originally Posted by mstrjon32 View Post
    So did you put new oil in it today Met, or what? What did you go with?
    Well....the BX didn't have the recommend weight of Royal Purple....so I ended up picking up a case of M1 0W-40........(they were even out of M1 5W-30) but with all the on and off rain....never got a chance to put in the oil and try it.

Anyways...I fly out for the Chi-Town tomorrow morning at 530am....so I won't be doing anything w/the V until mid-Jul.....so hopefully you'll find the oil and be the guinea pig before I get back to report!

I'm probably going to flush my clutch fluid and might do the brakes in that time, but the oil life is still at 40%-ish, and I'm not really planning on changing it until it says 0%.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.