I changed my oil. With 15w-50 mobile 1. And maybe its in my head but.... - Page 2
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 40
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, I changed my oil. With 15w-50 mobile 1. And maybe its in my head but.... in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I'm digging up this old thread..... Just a quick question....with my V running at sustained 120mph+ speeds....and my oil temp ...
  1. #16
    mberisha is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 Black Escalade AWD & '06 Black CTS-V
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Platte City, MO
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,788

    Re: I changed my oil. With 15w-50 mobile 1. And maybe its in my head but....

    I'm digging up this old thread.....

    Just a quick question....with my V running at sustained 120mph+ speeds....and my oil temp getting up to 250F on some occasions....should I maybe up the viscosity of the Mobil 1 for my oil change this weekend (i.e. 15w50w)...or stay w/the factory weight?

    BTW...the V here is my Sunday driver....so when I take it out....it's wide-open and the rpms stay at a consistent 3500rpms+ (i.e. harldy ever idles or stuck in traffic). Thanks for your inputs....

  2. #17
    rand49er's Avatar
    rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    South Lyon, MI
    Age
    65
    Posts
    13,302

    Re: I changed my oil. With 15w-50 mobile 1. And maybe its in my head but....

    I'd suppose, in theory at least, that going to a 5W-40 or 5W-50 might make sense in your case with the ability of those oils to handle higher operating temps. But, does anyone know if, say, 30 protects to sustained 200 deg F, 40 protects to sustained 225 deg F, 50 to 250 deg, and so forth? Personally, I don't know what the actual numbers are.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

  3. #18
    darkman's Avatar
    darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Spring, Texas
    Posts
    7,057

    Re: I changed my oil. With 15w-50 mobile 1. And maybe its in my head but....

    This an interesting question that comes up all the time - do higher operating temperatures (measured only by oil temp as opposed to coolant temp) require increased viscosty oils? And is 250 F all that high for synthetic oils? (We make french fries at 375 F.)

    We see racers run thicker oils all the time but they often have engines set up with increased bearing clearances for these thicker oils and are compensating for the fuel dilution that occurs from running full throttle (not just higher cruising speeds) all the time.

  4. #19
    lollygagger8's Avatar
    lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,929

    Re: I changed my oil. With 15w-50 mobile 1. And maybe its in my head but....

    Mmmm.....french fries.


    Um ya, I'll keep the 5w-30 and continue to change mine every 3k. Done and Done.

  5. #20
    mberisha is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 Black Escalade AWD & '06 Black CTS-V
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Platte City, MO
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,788

    Re: I changed my oil. With 15w-50 mobile 1. And maybe its in my head but....

    Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    This an interesting question that comes up all the time - do higher operating temperatures (measured only by oil temp as opposed to coolant temp) require increased viscosty oils? And is 250 F all that high for synthetic oils? (We make french fries at 375 F.)

    We see racers run thicker oils all the time but they often have engines set up with increased bearing clearances for these thicker oils and are compensating for the fuel dilution that occurs from running full throttle (not just higher cruising speeds) all the time.
    Great point....also...the coolant temp gets to about 222F-225F.....

    What concerns me...is usually we'll do an AutoBahn run...and then do a "Bavarain Hill Climb" which is usually 3rd gear pegged for 5-6 mins.....and then turn around....go downhill...and then jump back on the Autobahn taking turns passing each other 4th gear pegged....and then cruise at 5th.

  6. #21
    darkman's Avatar
    darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Spring, Texas
    Posts
    7,057

    Re: I changed my oil. With 15w-50 mobile 1. And maybe its in my head but....

    Quote Originally Posted by mberisha View Post
    Great point....also...the coolant temp gets to about 222F-225F.....

    What concerns me...is usually we'll do an AutoBahn run...and then do a "Bavarain Hill Climb" which is usually 3rd gear pegged for 5-6 mins.....and then turn around....go downhill...and then jump back on the Autobahn taking turns passing each other 4th gear pegged....and then cruise at 5th.
    The Mobil1 5W-30 has a 100C viscosity of about 11, and the Mobil1 15W-50 has a 100C viscosity of 18. If it were me I would be looking for something in between. Mobil 0W-40 starts out at 13.5, but I have used it (not in the V) and have seen it shear quickly to a 30W in used oil analysis. If I were in you place I would look at the German Castrol 5W-40 which has a 100C viscosity of 14.

  7. #22
    mberisha is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 Black Escalade AWD & '06 Black CTS-V
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Platte City, MO
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,788

    Re: I changed my oil. With 15w-50 mobile 1. And maybe its in my head but....

    Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    The Mobil1 5W-30 has a 100C viscosity of about 11, and the Mobil1 15W-50 has a 100C viscosity of 18. If it were me I would be looking for something in between. Mobil 0W-40 starts out at 13.5, but I have used it (not in the V) and have seen it shear quickly to a 30W in used oil analysis. If I were in you place I would look at the German Castrol 5W-40 which has a 100C viscosity of 14.
    Darkman....as always...thanks for the great advice! I take it that there are no issues with switching from Mobil 1 to German Castrol?

  8. #23
    darkman's Avatar
    darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Spring, Texas
    Posts
    7,057

    Re: I changed my oil. With 15w-50 mobile 1. And maybe its in my head but....

    Quote Originally Posted by mberisha View Post
    Darkman....as always...thanks for the great advice! I take it that there are no issues with switching from Mobil 1 to German Castrol?
    None - modern motor oils don't have any compatability issues. If you were to run used oil analysis on the first batch of the new oil you would see traces of the additives from the old oil but that would be the only evidence of the switch.

  9. #24
    mstrjon32 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): NONE
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mainz, Germany
    Posts
    745

    Re: I changed my oil. With 15w-50 mobile 1. And maybe its in my head but....

    The question is, do they sell GC at the auto shop, or will you have to buy it on the economy...

  10. #25
    mstrjon32 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): NONE
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mainz, Germany
    Posts
    745

    Re: I changed my oil. With 15w-50 mobile 1. And maybe its in my head but....

    FWIW, I'm using Mobil 1 5W-30 and an M1-206 filter, changed as per the OLM, when it gets to the 5%-0% range. I once saw a lengthy presentation (I could probably find it) published by GM engineers that basically said when the OLM reads 0%, your oil still has another "50%" of serviceable life left in it, but the cleaning and additive packages are basically worn out. Seems reasonable enough for me.

    I might see if I can get some UPF-44 Ultraguards from Luke before my next oil change.

  11. #26
    mberisha is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 Black Escalade AWD & '06 Black CTS-V
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Platte City, MO
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,788

    Re: I changed my oil. With 15w-50 mobile 1. And maybe its in my head but....

    Quote Originally Posted by mstrjon32 View Post
    The question is, do they sell GC at the auto shop, or will you have to buy it on the economy...
    Funney you say that...I just got out of the Ramstein BX....they don't sell that oil.

    I asked the guy what it is on the local economy....he said ~22Euro a quart...so that's breaks down to about $34 dollars a quart times 5.5....WHAT?!?!?!

    So Darkman....would you not advise using Mobil 1 0W-40 at all...or just change it more frequently. For example...in the last 8 months....I only put 2,500 miles on the V.

  12. #27
    darkman's Avatar
    darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Spring, Texas
    Posts
    7,057

    Re: I changed my oil. With 15w-50 mobile 1. And maybe its in my head but....

    Quote Originally Posted by mberisha View Post
    Funney you say that...I just got out of the Ramstein BX....they don't sell that oil.

    I asked the guy what it is on the local economy....he said ~22Euro a quart...so that's breaks down to about $34 dollars a quart times 5.5....WHAT?!?!?!

    So Darkman....would you not advise using Mobil 1 0W-40 at all...or just change it more frequently. For example...in the last 8 months....I only put 2,500 miles on the V.

    Their is nothing wrong with Mobil1 0W-40 except it is really a 30 weight disguised as a 40 weight. I suspect, but do not know, that Mobil calls it a 40 weight to qualify under a Mercedes or other European specification. When I used it, the used oil analysis rated it as a 30 weight after very short periods. Used for extended periods it still provided the protection of a good 30 weight. Do you have any other options (at the Ramstein BX) in the 40 weight category?

  13. #28
    mberisha is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 Black Escalade AWD & '06 Black CTS-V
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Platte City, MO
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,788

    Re: I changed my oil. With 15w-50 mobile 1. And maybe its in my head but....

    Royal Purple

  14. #29
    mstrjon32 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): NONE
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mainz, Germany
    Posts
    745

    Re: I changed my oil. With 15w-50 mobile 1. And maybe its in my head but....

    I'll try and stop by the Kastel Car center tomorrow and see if they have it, I feel like I saw something in gold bottles last time I was there, and I'm pretty sure it's some type of Castrol.

    I do know that a 5-quart jug of M1 costs about 96 euro at the Real, so I'm not at all surprised by the price you heard for the Castrol.

    I'll probably continue to run the M1 5W-30 regardless...

  15. #30
    darkman's Avatar
    darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Spring, Texas
    Posts
    7,057

    Re: I changed my oil. With 15w-50 mobile 1. And maybe its in my head but....

    Quote Originally Posted by mberisha View Post
    Royal Purple
    I am not a fan of Royal Purple. Not because it is bad oil, but because it has such a cult-like following and yet always falls "in the middle of the pack" in oil comparison tests. In any event their Product Data is attached and their 40 weights are a happy medium between Mobil1 5W-30 and Mobil1 15W-50.

    http://www.royalpurple.com/prod-pdfs/motor-oil-ps.pdf

    Finally, if you can get Mobil1 5W-30 and 15W-50 at reasonable prices, you could blend them to achieve results somewhere between the two.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting