Volvo 300+HP S60R VS M3 VS CTS-V - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Volvo 300+HP S60R VS M3 VS CTS-V in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by peccles The CTS Sport showed at SEMA this year might be more comparable to the S60R. Not ...
    darrelld is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: Volvo 300+HP S60R VS M3 VS CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by peccles
    The CTS Sport showed at SEMA this year might be more comparable to the S60R.
    Not sure if it will be available for the '05 MY.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ight=CTS+Sport
    Back to the topic of Cadillacs...

I sent an email to GM regarding CTS Sport, or parts availability for the CTS Sport, and the reply was no plans to produce either.

The SEMA show car was just that. They informed me that the CTSV, helllooo?, is available if I want more performance. EOM

Experiment_626 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Black 2008 CTS DI AWD

I got to drive a S60R for a while, and I thought it was a pretty nice ride, especially for a Ford.

The interior was very sharp (although some thought the seats looked too much like pumpkins), it was well put together, the manually variable suspension tuning was really nice, and it was pretty snappy at speed, though no LS6.

One thing to note: they detuned almost 40 ft-lb of torque out of the automatic version, so make sure to take the stick if you don't like getting killed off the line.

Oh yeah, and the stereo ROCKED!

peccles is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by darrelld
    Back to the topic of Cadillacs...

I sent an email to GM regarding CTS Sport, or parts availability for the CTS Sport, and the reply was no plans to produce either.

The SEMA show car was just that. They informed me that the CTSV, helllooo?, is available if I want more performance. EOM
    I sent an email also and got a similar response. Hopefully Caddy will see there is
    interest in such a car and offer it sometime in the '05MY or '06. It would be a nice
    fit between the base w/3.6L normally aspirated and the CTS-V.

Quote Originally Posted by peccles
    I sent an email also and got a similar response. Hopefully Caddy will see there is
    interest in such a car and offer it sometime in the '05MY or '06. It would be a nice
    fit between the base w/3.6L normally aspirated and the CTS-V.
    I agree especially those looking for an auto or SMG type option.

M STaR 013 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

that S60R or whatever may have more power, but come on,

it looks like any normal car out there !

thats just my opinion. the CTS looks frickin awsome! the style is outta this world. thats what won me over! but hey thats just me... sorry if i offended anyone

kman320 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by M STaR 013
    that S60R or whatever may have more power, but come on,

it looks like any normal car out there !

thats just my opinion. the CTS looks frickin awsome! the style is outta this world. thats what won me over! but hey thats just me... sorry if i offended anyone
    Looks is all personaly opinion. I personally agree with you, but the S60R is still an amazing ride for the money.
    BTW, your CTS looks amazing. What size tires are you running?

M STaR 013 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

dear kman
    They are NiTTO NT555 ExtremeZR. the size is P245/35/ZR20 95H (dont know what the 95H is, maybe u could tell me!) it's 8.5 inches wide so it is wider than the stocks.
    thanx for checkin out my car!
    from,
    sammY

ctsvinman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

don't forget how easy it is to get "more" Hp & Tq out of most stock Turbo cars. Crank the boost up a couple lbs
    add a bigger downpipe, etc.... (I'm thinking Buick GN here) but the basic fundamentals should still exist.

This would be a nice vehicle with another 50HP & TQ mated to AWD. It could take a good 1/4 mile for the CTSV...an M5 or M3 to catch it. At that point most races are over anyway.

Just a Thought Fella's.
    VinMan out....

rueben44 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Yea I saw this car on C&D television and it is a great car. To be honest I have owned a lot of Euro makes and one of my favorite is Volvo. For some reason I find my self staring at them when I am driving around town. If I had the money would I choose the Volvo over a CTS-V? NO! if I could not afford the V would I buy that car? No I prefer the CTS that I own or maybe one with the new V6 in it. Now if I found a hell of a deal on one that made it cheaper than a CTS yes I would jump in it in a second.

Besides if I wanted a fast Volvo I would do what I did to my last one. I had a 760 Turbo and it was fast and smooth. However I found out that I could put a 5.0 Ford enigne in it which I did. Now I believe that car did 0-60 times in the 5's.

boostmiser is offline Cadillac Owners Member

If you want info on the S60R, go to Swedespeed.com

I personally narrowed down my choices to the S60R and a 2001 M5. The M5 is a complete car. Very little if anything needs to be done to this car. The S60r is AWD - big advantage. It's very tunable because it's a turbo car. Chip, DP and CB will add 40-60hp. Upgrade the turbo, well, you get the picture.
    However, the CTSv has just entered the arena. I like the V8 and the exterior of the Caddy but I'm not sure I can get past the interior. I have yet to drive the Caddy but I will very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by boostmiser
    If you want info on the S60R, go to Swedespeed.com

I personally narrowed down my choices to the S60R and a 2001 M5. The M5 is a complete car. Very little if anything needs to be done to this car. The S60r is AWD - big advantage. It's very tunable because it's a turbo car. Chip, DP and CB will add 40-60hp. Upgrade the turbo, well, you get the picture.
    However, the CTSv has just entered the arena. I like the V8 and the exterior of the Caddy but I'm not sure I can get past the interior. I have yet to drive the Caddy but I will very soon.
    I personally like the current CTS interior but I do understand why others would not. The interior has a technophile flavor that many find odd or cheap. Spending many of my daily working hours inside a server room surrounded by Cisco equipment and Network Attached Storage devices gives me a feeling of familiarity when I take the drive home.

While riding to lunch in my coworkers M3, Mercedes, and Jags I notice the interiors are more like a traditional living room. Nice but fairly conservative.

boostmiser is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I don't like the type/texture of the interior materials. To plastic looking - cheap. And the lines aren't all that great inside. Then again, I've never seen a U.S. made car with a nice interior. Maybe I'll change my mind when I drive one. To be fair, I'm not fond of the new BMW interior either (I like the older interiors). The Volvo interior is good but plane jane. I love Audi/VW interiors, hands down the best.
    How are the seats?

Oh, and the other issue is resale value. The Caddy is most likely going to loose that battle. But don't get me wrong, I'm encouraged by this car. Seems to do a lot of things well.

wildwhl is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Funny to see this posted here, because we were minutes (literally) from purchasing an S60R when the CTS-V arrived at our local dealer. My wife and I were on our way out the door to the Volvo dealer to do the deed when the Caddy dealer called. I had to at least look.

Of course, I bought the CTS-V. I have driven the S60R and V70R several times and they are both very nice rides (yes, even the wagon). The fact that there is another 50+ hp easily available through ECU tuning and boltons is cool too. However, when it came time to make my decission (only an hour after seeing the V for the first time) I reasoned it like this:

"What do I like about the S60R?"
    1) Wife likes it - the sports car that your wife WILL let you have!
    2) I can tune it for more power if it doesn't have enough.
    3) Very favorable lease incentives (gone now, I think). This one is important, because I have never leased a car before but realized that subconsciously I had already planned on getting rid of the vehicle by considering the lease!
    4) Smooth, fun, sporty ride with AWD and potential for tuning the Haldex system as well.

"What I like about the Caddy"
    1) Power and tight feel.
    2) More aggressive appearance.
    3) I can tune it for more power if it doesn't have enough.
    4) I BOUGHT it and will not be selling it soon, even IF we see some 500hp cars coming from Detroit next year. Wouldn't have even thought of a lease type option.
    5) Search the net for LS6 or Z06 and just see what's out there for the engine - tons of great stuff and at least some of it will be developed for the Caddy as well. If not, there is always shadetree engineering.
    6) Did I mention that it is a Cadillac, and smokes the tires/oversteers at will?

Still, I find it interesting that car guys are car guys. I bet if we listed the top ten cars of interest to each of us, 70% of it would match throughout the members of this (or any) car forum.

Can't afford or find a Caddy? The S60R would be MY second choice (over M3 and since NEW M5 is vaporware, doesn't count)

Wildwhl

rueben44 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Ok last time I checked Volvo's resale value was very low and the interior design of the S60 is the weakest point of the car. Now everything else about the car is nice. Now the CTS-V is easier to mod because the engine is a Chevy small block so not only can you get more power but it should be cheaper. Finally the CTS-V's interior is made of very high quality parts so I think you should actually drive the car before making your assumptions. Anyone that has owned a Volvo before(3) like I have knows that the car will have a very good chance of having electrical problems and power options that will stop working.

JEM
    JEM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

The S60R's interior is gorgeous. Unbelievably beautiful in every detail. Everything is right where it belongs, the material quality is good, the design is clean and modern without being over-the-top. I love it. It's a big step up over the base S60 (which isn't too bad, but not Audi-level.)

The rest of the car...well...it's okay. It doesn't knock me out. The wheels are beautiful, but it still feels more front-drive-with-infinite-grip, it's not really throttle-steerable.

I drove one of the new S40 T5s the other day, based on the new Euro-market Focus that Ford isn't selling in the US (I guess Ford figures they have too much on their plate right now with the Five Hundred and the Futura and the Mustang all hitting the stores in a year or so, and it took them five years to figure out how to build the old Focus without a recall a month, so...) Anyway, I found the shape and packaging of the new S40 to be quite nice, better than the S60, and they're supposedly going to have an AWD R-model sometime in the future, it'd be a really nice car with the S60's engine...

The CTS-V's interior has grown on me. In black, it's actually pretty decent. Not great, not Audi-like, nor even up to the S60R or the E39 BMW 5-series, but not bad - I wouldn't say 'very high quality parts' but more like 'adequate quality parts' - and, heaven help me, I'm starting to like the design. The loose headliner around the sunroof opening still bugs me a little and the seats aren't up to BMW/Audi/Volvo sport seats, but with the suede inserts they're okay. For me the CTS-V interior is a neutral factor - neither a reason to buy the car nor a reason not to.

Yeah, Euro cars tend to have electrical gremlins here and there. Fact of life, I'm used to it. Ours haven't been any worse than the Fords I've owned.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.