Gas Guzzler tax for V?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Gas Guzzler tax for V? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Do you guys know if there will be a gas guzzler tax for the cts-v? I live in California, and ...
    Iwannav is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question Gas Guzzler tax for V?

Do you guys know if there will be a gas guzzler tax for the cts-v? I live in California, and I am trying to figure out how much it will be after taxes etc... So just about $50,325 sticker(xm radio option) + 7.75 % tax comes to $54,225. How much is liscensing, title, and all that good stuff usually?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

Re: Gas Guzzler tax for V?

I'm not familiar with what is considered a 'gas guzzler' in California, but the V, like the Corvette, gets exceptional fuel economy out of that 400hp V8.

As reported by Car&Driver:
    18city / 27highway fuel EPA

darrelld is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Iwannav
    Do you guys know if there will be a gas guzzler tax for the cts-v? I live in California, and I am trying to figure out how much it will be after taxes etc... So just about $50,325 sticker(xm radio option) + 7.75 % tax comes to $54,225. How much is liscensing, title, and all that good stuff usually?
    No gas guzzler tax for the V, a car has to drop below 17mpg before this kicks in.

Iwannav is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Awesome! Thanks Guys

rueben44 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Oh and Title and License are very cheap like $70 but you have to figure the tax in with that. Like you did above.

I would imagine that insurance is where it's going to hurt.
    Limited production sports car. Ouch.

Then again, my CTS wasn't as bad as I thought it would be either(lots of insurance cost reducing safety features in these).

darrelld is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by gothicaleigh
    I'm not familiar with what is considered a 'gas guzzler' in California, but the V, like the Corvette, gets exceptional fuel economy out of that 400hp V8.

The gas guzzler tax is federal and you see the addition to the sticker price.
    Next time you drive by a Ford dealer check out the 03 Mustang Cobra, the guzzler tax adds $1,000 to the price.

I know what the tax is.
    I just didn't know if California used a different one (they seem to penalize every other aspect of driving).

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

I know what the tax is.
    I just didn't know if California used a different one (they seem to penalize every other aspect of driving).
    LOL Yea I agree...

Also, tags and registration in California for a vehicle like that are going to be horrid because they are going to go strictly on the MSRP of the vehicle and whatever Californias percentage is. In Kansas, which I consider one of the worst but still nowhere near Californias rate, its about 1 percent of the total MSRP. So on a new navigator its about 1200.00. I expect that in Cali, the V would be at least that much to register and then it will go down by some infantesimal amount each year just like it does here

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

The 6-speed Corvette avoids the gas guzzler with, among other things, two design features that some folks don't like:

- 6th gear is very tall. 70 MPH is about 1500 RPM in 6th and downshifting is required to pass quickly. Some enthusiasts change their rearends to 3.90 or 4.10 in order to make 6th gear more useable (and get awesome launches at the line).

- They have a PITA "skip shift" feature in manual transmission that forces you to shift from 1st to 4th if you don't rev above about 2200 RPM in 1st gear. Thankfully, this "feature" is easily defeated with a plug-in mod that tricks the computer and transmission.

rueben44 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
    LOL Yea I agree...

Also, tags and registration in California for a vehicle like that are going to be horrid because they are going to go strictly on the MSRP of the vehicle and whatever Californias percentage is. In Kansas, which I consider one of the worst but still nowhere near Californias rate, its about 1 percent of the total MSRP. So on a new navigator its about 1200.00. I expect that in Cali, the V would be at least that much to register and then it will go down by some infantesimal amount each year just like it does here

Oh my goodness they charge you guys that much for tags and registration?!!
    Here in Texas it is like $70 regardless of the price of the car. However the Tax is contingent on the price. Boy I really feel for you guys.

When I sale a car the plates are $10 the Registration w/ Sticker is about 50 or 60 dollars.

Rich24 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I would worry more about the dealers bumping up the price over MSRP.
    I just got back from shopping for a new CTS and saw something unbelievable..
    They had that new SSR Chevy in the showroom and are asking 15,000 over MSRP! MSRP was around 44,000 and they are asking 59,000.. Yikes. I'm going to get, I hope, a CTS with the ISC option pkg. I just wanted the 3.6 and the sport pkg, but my wife insisted on the sun roof and bose radio. Well it's still
    cheaper then the V will be. (small consolation.. we both would rather have the
    CTS-V)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.