CTS-V and the LS6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, CTS-V and the LS6 in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; There are a number of ongoing debates about pushrod vs overhead cam engines especially in the Cadillac community. Cadillac needed ...
    darrelld is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

CTS-V and the LS6

There are a number of ongoing debates about pushrod vs overhead cam engines especially in the Cadillac community.

Cadillac needed an efficient, lightweight, compact, and powerful engine to propel its newest sedan.

Choices;
    1. Supercharge the existing 3.6L.
    2. Use a Northstar.
    3. Borrow an LS6 from the Corvette.

Problems;
    1. The 3.6L is a completely new and expensive engine, any new performance items would be developed from scratch.
    2. The Northstar is an expensive powerplant that is just too big with its overhead cam configuration to fit in the CTS engine bay.
    3. The LS6 is race proven with many existing and relatively cheap off the shelf performance parts.

If you apply Occam's Razor the choice becomes clearer.

"If you have two equally likely solutions to a problem, pick the simplest."

"The explanation requiring the fewest assumptions is most likely to be correct."

... or in the only form which takes its own advice...

"Keep things simple!"

The LS6 gets the nod.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Tom Slick is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: CTS-V and the LS6

i have a question the CTS and V. is the CTS a front wheel drive car and the V a real wheel drive car. but are they both built on the same platform that sounds like a major mod to make it this way or the V is built on a different platform. i thought they were the same car (basically) except for that LS6.
    just need a clarification.

thanks,
    toms...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Slick
    i have a question the CTS and V. is the CTS a front wheel drive car and the V a real wheel drive car. but are they both built on the same platform that sounds like a major mod to make it this way or the V is built on a different platform. i thought they were the same car (basically) except for that LS6.
    just need a clarification.
    The CTS and CTS-V are both RWD, they share most of the same components, with the V getting the LS6 and suspension hardware to match the increased capabilities.

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

I can tell you after owning a Z06 that I look forward to doing the same mods on my CTS-V as my Z06, that should shock some drivers when they pull up next to me.

Quote Originally Posted by hcvone
    I can tell you after owning a Z06 that I look forward to doing the same mods on my CTS-V as my Z06, that should shock some drivers when they pull up next to me.
    Have you tried nitrous with the Z06?

GNSCOTT is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

How can anyone argue the overhead cam thing when you have a 405hp production motor that gets 30mpg????

Quote Originally Posted by GNSCOTT
    How can anyone argue the overhead cam thing when you have a 405hp production motor that gets 30mpg????
    Logic and science doesn't necessarily mean anything to the "Me Too" crowd. If Paris Hilton drives a Brand X with overhead cams then I must have one too.

You know the type.

GNSCOTT is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Very true. Not saying that one is better than the other, just don't think one is better than the other.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.