Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Any tips on stopping headlamp condensation? Cadillac Customer Service won't help.

710 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  odla 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 CTS-V. I have a problem with condensation in the headlight and blowing out ballasts. I've been in touch with Cadillac Customer Service twice in the last 18 months, and they won't help me.

Initially, my left front headlamp went out. The dealer stated I needed a new bulb and ballast. The car had a GMPP warranty and it wasn't covered. I paid over $500 for replacement bulb and ballast.

A few months later, the headlamp was out again. I went back to the dealer, and he stated I needed a new headlight assembly for the tune of $1100. I contacted Cadillac Customer Service because why is my left headlamp leaking water, and the right never did. Cadillac did provide me some financial assistance because it is a little ridiculous in my opinion to have $1600 invested in a headlight. They split the cost with me, and installed a new headlamp assembly.

Fast forward 18 months. I get stopped by the police for my left front headlamp out while I'm 1300 miles away from home. I take the car to the local Cadillac dealer who states the car needs a NEW headlamp assembly AGAIN!!! Apparently the replacement headlight assembly installed 18 months ago now has a condensation problem like the original headlight. This dealer only wanted $700+ for the job.

I contacted Cadillac Customer Service to again try to get some understanding why I have an 18 month old headlight assembly that leaks. I file a complaint, and they say they'll get back to me. The dealer called me back and stated Cadillac won't give me any assistance because of the age of the car. The age of the car isn't the problem, the age of the headlight assembly is the issue here. Cadillac calls me the next day and tells me it's the age of the car, and that they gave me assistance before. I explained that the age of the car is not the issue, it's the age of the faulty assembly they sold me. She then backpedals and says, well, the warranty is only 12 months, and I've had it about 18 months. This is crazy, I still have a 10 year old headlight assembly on the passenger side that has never leaked.

So here's my predicament. I'm 1300 miles from home, can't afford to buy another assembly. I've found a new ballast and bulbs online, and a local friend of mine is going to help me take the headlight bucket out to find out how the condensation is getting in there.

Does anyone have any tricks or techniques to stop this issue? I've searched the forum but haven't found anything.

Thank you Cadillac Customer Service for selling me a junk headlight assembly.

See less See more
#2 ·
Might be best to resell the light. I know some have baked the light to get the plastic cover off. Maybe you can do that and reapply some seal. At the same time I would do a new ballast and bulb. Where are you at? Might be someone who can help you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.