Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Recall? What Recall...

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  dqw1 
#1 ·
Quick question, has anyone heard anything about a recall? People keep coming by my office asking if my car has a recall. I seen nothing online but they say it was on the news this morning, could only be for the CTS but then again, they've been known to mess with me.

#2 ·
All I could find was a recent recall announcement on the base CTS.

Campaign Number: 06V020000 Date: 2006-Jan-25

Component: Fuel System, Gasoline: Delivery
Defect Summary: CERTAIN VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH V6 ENGINES MAY HAVE A CONDITION WHERE FUEL IS NO LONGER SUPPLIED TO THE ENGINE. THIS CONDITION OCCURS WITHOUT THE ILLUMINATION OF THE FUEL LEVEL LOW INDICATOR LIGHT OR THE WARNING CHIME.
Consequence Summary: IF THE ENGINE STOPS RUNNING, THE OPERATOR WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RESTART THE VEHICLE WHICH COULD INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Corrective Summary: DEALERS WILL REPROGRAM THE ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULE (ECM) WITH NEW SOFTWARE FREE OF CHARGE. OWNERS WERE NOTIFIED IN DECEMBER 2005 AND ASKED TO MAINTAIN AT LEAST 1/4 OF A TANK FUEL LEVEL TO AVOID THIS CONDITION UNTIL THE PARTS ARE AVAILABLE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING MARCH 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CADILLAC AT 1-866-982-2339.

#3 ·
The recall I want to see if for the rear diff, thanks for the info. Kinda suprised the CTS guys haven't posted about the recall yet.

#6 ·
What is this recall supposed to be about?
I know of a few hundred recalls, but they are all for different things.

I know of a few on CTS-Vs also but it depends on the year and what the recall is for. Has anyone alluded to what this recall is supposed to address?

#7 ·
Well, the one above is for the CTS. The last one for the V that I know of was for the airbag but that was last year. I checked online yesterday and seen nothing current and Onstar didn't report any current recalls on their monthly report so I think we're safe, for now.

#8 ·
My understanding is that *Recalls* are only issued for items that are detrimental to the occupants safety i.e., airbag problems, loss of steering (steering knuckles on the Ford GT), loss of braking, seatbelt issues, fire (fuel) hazards, etc., etc.. A Recall can be done voluntarily by the manufacturer or mandated by DOT. The voluntary part is to avoid the "involvement" of DOT...it doesn't look good to be ordered by the DOT to Recall a vehicle. So a *Recall* for the diff is unlikely. So the diff breaks because it's a POS. Any danger to the occupants? Nope. Hence no Recall will ever be issued. Service bulletins? Perhaps, but highly unlikely to ever be a Recall.
Regards,
Crispy

#10 ·
Well, as I noted, some of my co-workers thought there was recall and wanted to know if it was for the V. We found it was for the CTS so there's no issue to worry about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.