UUC VS B&M
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, UUC VS B&M in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Now i am aware that there is a huge price gap between the two but besides that has anyone noticed ...
    FLsilverV is offline Cadillac Owners Member

UUC VS B&M

Now i am aware that there is a huge price gap between the two but besides that has anyone noticed a big difference between the two of them, cause i want to put one of them in the V in less than a week and i need to know what one to buy, has anyone had any problems with either one? Is anyone think the UUC is worth the extra money? please let me know.

Thanks
    Spence

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Kadonny is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Owned 3 V's, now driving a GC STR8

Re: UUC VS B&M

I have no personal experience, but I have read here that the B&M has some more noise to it compared to the UUC.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

I did the B&M last week. Read my thread re noise. Randy

rgd
    rgd is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 04' CTS-V, 04' Escalade EXT

I don't know about the B&M shifter, but I have the UUC and it works great, little to no noise difference. TPiS also has a short shifter for $150.00 (think thats what I was told). I am getting QA1 shocks from TPiS tomorrow to go with EIBACh springs! OH Ya, sorry just excited!

Luna. is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V

I have a UUC and it's great.

This past weekend, I drove a car that had a B&M shifter as well.

I failed to notice any significant difference between the two in terms of shifting.

In regards to noise, I didn't notice any damn noise (lol), but the owner told me that it existed in certain gears (most notably, second gear when you got on it). Perhaps I didn't know what to listen for, but there was nothing that made me go, "ugh."

If I had the chance to do it all over again, I'd strongly consider the B&M, as it appears to be substantially the same shifter for a cheaper price.

I will say this though--I'm very happy with the UUC. It shifts great and doesn't generate any egregious noise.

DeVillish is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by rgd
    I don't know about the B&M shifter, but I have the UUC and it works great, little to no noise difference. TPiS also has a short shifter for $150.00 (think thats what I was told). I am getting QA1 shocks from TPiS tomorrow to go with EIBACh springs! OH Ya, sorry just excited!
    You got an info, or a site, for those shocks? Like how much they are? Are they adjustable?

Skeeter is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Luna, do these shifters improve the shift feel, or just make the shifts shorter? Still the same crunchy, ugly shift, just less motion and a nicer shift knob?

Granted, a short shift is a huge improvement, but I need to do something about the shift feel also and was wondering if these aftermarket shifters will do the trick.

Let me know!

Skeeter

RobzBLKV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

If you want to put one on within a week, your best bet might be the B&M. I don't know the current stock situation for the UUC, but they are often back ordered.

Lindsay Cadillac is offline Alexandria, Va
    Automobile(s): Work on them all...

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter
    Luna, do these shifters improve the shift feel, or just make the shifts shorter? Still the same crunchy, ugly shift, just less motion and a nicer shift knob?

Granted, a short shift is a huge improvement, but I need to do something about the shift feel also and was wondering if these aftermarket shifters will do the trick.

Let me know!

Skeeter
    I can't say anything positive or negative about the B&M but I can say lot's of positives about the UUC. I have it in my V and have also installed it in a couple of customer's V's. It's a night & day difference... Nothing crunchy or ugly... You have to feel it to believe it...

James

1badcady is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by RobzBLKV
    If you want to put one on within a week, your best bet might be the B&M. I don't know the current stock situation for the UUC, but they are often back ordered.
    I have the UUC and am very happy. they say there back ordered but i got it
    in two days . just make sure when you order it, they send you the ALL
    the hardware, lucky for me i did the install a weak later, when the car was
    already apart, i noticed the covers/washers that hold the bearings in
    place were missing ,got it the next day , but in my IHO, its worth
    it. i would play it safe & get the UUC, you might be happy with the
    others! why take a chance of being .

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

This is all so-o-o subjective. Before everyone bases their decision on price alone (i.e. "you get what you pay for"), I'd like to hear a rationally constructed argument for one over the other with price as one of the considerations. As I've said in other threads on this forum, how can UUC justify twice the money for their shifter? My B&M is great, and I've had a number of four and five speed manual trnsmission equipped cars: GTOs, Corvettes, and others, so it's not like I'm completely inexperienced. But, I will be the first one to acknowledge that I've not driven a car with the UUC. So, let's hear from someone who's unbiased and has done an objective comparison ... ANYONE?!!

Luna. is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter
    Let me know!
    Skeeter
    In my opinion (which doesn't mean much, I know), I very much prefer the "feel" of both the B&M and UUC shifter as compared to stock. Granted, I pretty much loathe the feel of the V transmission shifts to begin with (too damn hard to get the friggin thing into gear...), but the feel, to me, is much better. Not only is it a shorter throw, it's also more "confident."

There are others, however, who will disagree with that sentiment, so keep that in mind.

lasstss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Its a matter of quality of construction. The UUC has a damped stick to eliminate transmission of noise and vibration to the hand and interior.It also uses ball bearings in the base instead of bushings.
    Now if you prefer feeling the trans and want the 'hard couple' go with mallet or B&M. (closer to a Hurst and a muncie) Its quite easy to machine a full metal stalk and switch it out. You wouldnt however, find it in a BMW.
    I used the Mallet and the UUC. Not in the same realm.

Barak is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Is eliminating a little extra noise worth twice the price? To me the shifters feel about the same, with maybe the B&M being a bit notchier.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.