Got My First Ticket in 21 years - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Got My First Ticket in 21 years in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by korizzle i agree that it's ridiculous, but the point of that quote was just to show that ...
    thebigjimsho is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Re: Got My First Ticket in 21 years

Quote Originally Posted by korizzle View Post
    i agree that it's ridiculous, but the point of that quote was just to show that a guy with a car registered out of state was pulled over for not having a front plate - that means, that it is still a violation in ca to drive with no front plate regardless of where you are registered.

you're right, jim, that guy is talking about spending a long time in the state, not just a brief trip or something...but...that is irrelevant. he was ultimately slammed because he hadn't registered his car within the 10 allowed days - if you're only there for 9 days, for example, you don't have to worry about it, but it appears that you are still subject to california vehicle code - hence he was pulled over for something so frivolous as not having a front plate.

also, let's not forget, i was told by the ******* cop that pulled me over that it doesn't matter where my car and i call home, when in california, if i'm violating their law, i can be cited.
    But you're missing the point. California law dictates that cars registered in that state, or that should be, need to have 2 plates. It is NOT state law for out of state vehicles to have them...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

korizzle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    But you're missing the point. California law dictates that cars registered in that state, or that should be, need to have 2 plates. It is NOT state law for out of state vehicles to have them...
    i'm sorry jim, but i certainly am not missing any point.

1. here is qweegybo's post that sparked this converstation:

"When imive back to cali, i plan on keeping my arkansas registration (business application) and they only give you one lisence plate. Will i still get a ticket in Cali even though i'm registered in Arkansas?"

i believe "imive" means 'i move'. so, it is my understanding that we are talking about a vehicle that "should be", as you put it, registered in ca...meaning it will be here longer than the grace period allows.

2. the link i provided merely showed an instance where someone with out of state registration (texas plate) was pulled over for only having one plate. the officer that pulled him over had no idea how long he'd been in ca yet - all he knew was that the car was missing a plate and from texas. he was pulled over for having 1 plate and not 2 - the cop could clearly see that the plate was a texas plate - i'm just trying to be clear here.

3. here it is again; i was told by a cop that it didn't matter that my car was registered in az...if i am in ca and violating ca law, i can be cited. most cops aren't going to be jerks about it, but that apparently that doesn't mean they can't cite you. let me be even more clear...i am only sharing with everyone what i was told. i hope that i have been misinformed. logic is not on the side of his words, i understand that - i was shocked when he told me i was in the wrong.

i haven't read through the wording of the law, but perhaps you have and that's where you're information is coming from. if that is the case, then it looks like what you have is a solid argument that you shouldn't be ticketed if this ever happens to you...but that may not stop a cop (or even parking enforcement officers) from issuing a fix it ticket...or at least pulling you over for it. hell, i could see a cop using it as a reason to pull you over and then just letting you go, but using that plate issue as an excuse to check you for anything major (drugs, drinking, etc.)

hey jim, you'll be glad to know...

i just got off the phone with my cousin (he's a chp in central ca - fresno) and he told me that you technically can't be cited for not having a front plate if you're from another state that doesn't require it. if an ignorant officer does give you a ticket for it, it will be thrown out after the fact. but, if your state does require a front plate, then your citation will be enforced.

he suggested that people who do a lot of interstate driving print out a copy of the vehicle code section from your state and keep it with your registration...that way if the cop that stops you isn't familiar with the laws of your state he can use your reference as a guide to make a better decision.

he did also mention that he couldn't care less about front plates (ca or otherwise), but he says that he knows of officers use it as a tool to check for other bigger infractions...haha much like i mentioned before.

sooooo...if you're gonna be in california, probably should just put a plate on and avoid and potential trouble. to each his own though - i will always have dark tinted windows...until they make it an arrestable offense!

looks like the cop that pulled me over was only correct about the tint and used too general of a statment!

CTSV_510 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)

wow you sure used a lot of words just to say, "Jim's right."

Quote Originally Posted by CTSV_510 View Post
    wow you sure used a lot of words just to say, "Jim's right."

haha, you noticed that, eh!

stupid cop all those years ago made me go out of my way to try and prove a point that was incorrect. i feel so violated.

i just got off the phone with my cousin (he's a chp in central ca - fresno) and he told me that you technically can't be cited for not having a front plate if you're from another state that doesn't require it. if an ignorant officer does give you a ticket for it, it will be thrown out after the fact. but, if your state does require a front plate, then your citation will be enforced.

he suggested that people who do a lot of interstate driving print out a copy of the vehicle code section from your state and keep it with your registration...that way if the cop that stops you isn't familiar with the laws of your state he can use your reference as a guide to make a better decision.

he did also mention that he couldn't care less about front plates (ca or otherwise), but he says that he knows of officers use it as a tool to check for other bigger infractions...haha much like i mentioned before.

sooooo...if you're gonna be in california, probably should just put a plate on and avoid and potential trouble. to each his own though - i will always have dark tinted windows...until they make it an arrestable offense!

looks like the cop that pulled me over was only correct about the tint and used too general of a statment!
    That's cool that you went through the trouble of finding out. I guess I was going lawyer speak earlier. I know cops who bust balls to find ANYTHING during a stop that they can nail you on. And not having a front plate in a state that requires such is eye catching.

But ultimately, it's unenforceable...

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Quote Originally Posted by joshdctsv View Post
    Just pay it and move on. I got one in the V and one every other year for the Vette. If you're willing to pay good money for mods, you're willing to pay $50 not to ruin your bumper.

FYI, Texas finally gave up this year and went down to one license plate. Someone decided they could save money that way.
    Pretend that ticket was for the 50 other times you (and I) were speeding. Your number came up. You did not have a front tag. So, what do you do??? Take it out verbally (here) on the cop. Man up. Admit your mistake. Cops have a job to do. Some cops (like me and you) are good and bad.

If this is the worst thing that happens to you in life, consider yourself very lucky.

Nothing bad can come out of being quiet and obedient to a cop. The best thing for your ultimate outcome is to shut up and do whatever the cop says. I give him nothing to remember me by or reason to come to court to face me. If he gives an obvious open to talk my way out, I may try. Otherwise, it's all in the courts for me.

Whenever I get pulled over, I fight the ticket. But I don't fight the cop. That comes back to bite your arse. I go through what the law makes available to me. If and when I get the cop on the stand, I pepper him(or her) with questions that may twist his words or show his procedures were not to protocol. When they're on the stand is when you get your aggression out.

That is, if it ever goes that far. Which happens in Massachusetts maybe 1 out of 8 times. A couple times, the cop never bothered to file the paperwork.

Funny story about being nice to a cop:

I was in my hometown and myself and some friends were at a Chinese restaurant. Afterward, we were outside shooting the breeze. It was not long after July 4th and someone had a couple bottle rockets. So we waited for traffic to clear and launched one along the ground out of the parking lot. Well, as we were lighting the fuse, a local cop had turned down the street. I freaked. The rocket was aimed right in his path! I stomped my foot to trap it, but just as I was stomping down, it went off! It exploded right underneath the officer's car...OMG!!! It was the dumbest thing I've ever done in my life.

Well, two of my buddies were from Vermont. The officer comes flying in flies right up to us. He comes out screaming and demanding ID. One didn't have his license on him. The other was asking why he needed to show ID when he didn't do anything. I just shyly give him my ID. Well, since he didn't like my friends attitudes, he went off on them. And they gave it back. The cop got so worked up he spent his energy threatening to take them to jail and how he didn't appreciate the attitude. Finally, my friends realized they were pushing it and everyone calmed down.

Once everyone calmed down, the officer just up and left. All he ever did was ask for my ID and give it back. The rest of the time I just watched the argument. I could have, and should have, been busted or cited for something, but I didn't. I always just shut up with cops...

NIK
    NIK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '99 De Ville, '05 CTS-V

soooo...if you're gonna be in california, probably should just put a plate on and avoid and potential trouble. to each his own though - i will always have dark tinted windows...until they make it an arrestable offense!

l
    If you're from a state that doesn't require a front plate (PA where I'm from)
    just where and how are you supposed to get another plate to put on the front? Just asking - this seems to be a very stupid issue. They would ticket a tourist for abiding by his own state law?

Quote Originally Posted by NIK View Post
    just where and how are you supposed to get another plate to put on the front? Just asking - this seems to be a very stupid issue. They would ticket a tourist for abiding by his own state law?
    Check out post #33...

Quote Originally Posted by NIK View Post
    don't they give you two plates to being with?

but regardless, it turns outs that if you are cited for not having a front plate, it will be dismissed because PA doesn't require it. the only issue is possibly getting harassed by a cop who is using the "no front plate" as a reason to pull you over in hopes that he can bust you for something else.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.