New owner of an 05' CTS-V. Few issues...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By darkman
  • 1 Post By darkman
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, New owner of an 05' CTS-V. Few issues... in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hello everyone, recently bought a cts-v and I love the car. There are a few questions I have about the ...
    Joe645733 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

New owner of an 05' CTS-V. Few issues...

Hello everyone, recently bought a cts-v and I love the car. There are a few questions I have about the car and was hoping I can get some help on them. I'm not expecting all to be answered at once. If you can help with any of them, it'd be well appreciated.

1: the common 6th gear vibration - I understand re-indexing the driveshaft if the markings don't line up is necessary to give a shot, but how do the markings seperate from each other? Gonna try this, this weekend.

2. Saving stereo settings! - each time I think I'm saving my bass, treble, etc settings, it gets reset to this bogus high bass, speaker blowing setting. I've even saved the EQ1 preset...

3. Reverse gear grind - now, I did buy an additional 100k power train warranty with the car, but just want to confirm if you guys think it's the Trans going.

4. Parts - is there a vendor website who sells an all-around category of these cars? Interior, exhaust, etc.

5. Rear end - I don't do burnouts or donuts with the car, but I do love a 1st to 2nd gear pull every now and then. Should I be worried about the rear end? What modifications can I buy to protect the rear end or strengthen it?

Thanks much!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk

Re: New owner of an 05' CTS-V. Few issues...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe645733 View Post
    Hello everyone, recently bought a cts-v and I love the car. There are a few questions I have about the car and was hoping I can get some help on them. I'm not expecting all to be answered at once. If you can help with any of them, it'd be well appreciated.

1: the common 6th gear vibration - I understand re-indexing the driveshaft if the markings don't line up is necessary to give a shot, but how do the markings seperate from each other? Gonna try this, this weekend.

2. Saving stereo settings! - each time I think I'm saving my bass, treble, etc settings, it gets reset to this bogus high bass, speaker blowing setting. I've even saved the EQ1 preset...

3. Reverse gear grind - now, I did buy an additional 100k power train warranty with the car, but just want to confirm if you guys think it's the Trans going.

4. Parts - is there a vendor website who sells an all-around category of these cars? Interior, exhaust, etc.

5. Rear end - I don't do burnouts or donuts with the car, but I do love a 1st to 2nd gear pull every now and then. Should I be worried about the rear end? What modifications can I buy to protect the rear end or strengthen it?

Thanks much!
    1. Not sure.
    2. I believe that the EQ settings are per station? And you need to make sure to save the changes that you make into the memory setting. (Push + hold the memory recall button on the drivers door to set it.)
    3. The first step with any trans/clutch issue should be to bleed the clutch fluid. Air and oil dirty fluid combine to cause all kinds of odd issues.
    4. Luke @ Lindsay Cadillac will be your best bet for most OEM parts. (Site sponsor, listed on the Right of the forum >>>>>>)
    5. Make sure it has fresh fluid in the rear end, and then don't worry about it.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

1. Do you have reason to believe the driveshaft has been removed and reinstalled at some point in the past? Otherwise, it could be something else.

2. Not sure.

3. Ditto what Andringa said.

4. Ditta what Andringa said.

5. Ditta what Andringa said.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

The 6th gear vibration, as indicated by Rand49er, may have nothing to with the driveshaft. The Tremec T-56 has a known weakness related to both 6th gear and 5th gear. These two gears are designed as over drive gears and are therefore, not sufficiently robust to support acceleration. As a result, either or both gears can develop a vibration issue when over used. Ironically, this is more likely to occur in the hands conservative drivers who tend to short shift to higher gears to improve gas mileage. If the transmission has this issue it can be diagnosed by simply driving at the same speed at which the vibration occurs in 6th gear, in another gear such as 4th. So if it vibrates at 70 mph in 6th, but does not vibrate at 70 mph in 4th, then it has a failing 6th gear. The remedy is to remove the transmission and replace the internal components associated with the 6th & 5th gear. Finally, the most likely cause of the reverse gear issue is indeed clutch drag attributable to the clutch hydraulic system as already discussed by Andringa.
    Chirpin4th likes this.

Thanks much, guys.

Darkman, it will vibrate hard in 6th @70mph and be smooth in 5th gear at the same speed.

Rand49er, I'm not sure. I bought it with 90k miles. But you have a point.

Adringa, I'll give that a shot. Thanks

Darkman, it will vibrate hard in 6th @70mph and be smooth in 5th gear at the same speed.
    Unfortunately that points to the transmission rather than the driveshaft since, 70mph is 70mph to the driveshaft regardless of gear selection. If you would like a more specific description of the problem in terms of parts etc. before pursuing your warranty you could call RPM Transmission at 1-800-406-1109 - they have probably repaired more Tremecs with this issue than anyone else on the planet.1-800-406-1109-800-406-1109

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

'05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

I appreciate that, but wouldn't it make sense to get the trans replaced under warranty rather than call the source you gave me?

I appreciate that, but wouldn't it make sense to get the trans replaced under warranty rather than call the source you gave me?
    I was merely suggesting that you might want to arm yourself with more facts about the required remedy in case you meet some resistance from those handling your warranty claim.
    KB V likes this.

You are going to want to figure out exactly what is going on with the transmission before talking to an aftermarket warranty company. I've never had one personally, but most people either have very good luck or a ton of trouble with 3rd party warranties.

Simply taking it in and asking them to "diagnose" and fix it is going to end up with them telling you it's normal and not to worry about it.

So you bought a 100k drive train warranty for a car with 90k already on it? How much did they charge you for that 10k worth of coverage?

Oh I'm aware and appreciate it.

Adringa - I purchased the warranty for $1,400 from the GM dealership, but had to be purchased at signing. I can bring it to any GM dealership nation wide. Does not cover clutch, but pretty much anything else. Trans, engine, gaskets, seals, etc. even pays up to $50 on your tows.

Oh I'm aware and appreciate it.

Adringa - I purchased the warranty for $1,400 from the GM dealership, but had to be purchased at signing. I can bring it to any GM dealership nation wide. Does not cover clutch, but pretty much anything else. Trans, engine, gaskets, seals, etc. even pays up to $50 on your tows.
    Well $1400 seems like a decent deal if you can get a new transmission from them.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.