CTSV drive shaft
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AAIIIC
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, CTSV drive shaft in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; The round unit at the end of my drive shat makes a clicking sound when it first turn, I jacked ...
    camoking is offline Cadillac Owners Member

CTSV drive shaft

The round unit at the end of my drive shat makes a clicking sound when it first turn, I jacked the rear up and when you turn the rear wheels you can hear the click as if the splines are a loose fit. Is this normal, if it was a u-joint I would replace it. This two peace drive shaft with this six bolt end setup is new to me.... Any words of wisdom ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: CTSV drive shaft

Description and Operation
    Propeller Shaft Description and Operation (CTSV)
    The propeller shaft is a tube with rubber couplings at both ends which do not require periodic maintenance, that transmit power from the transfer case or transmission output shaft to the differential.

Propeller Shaft Description
    A center bearing assembly is used to support the propeller shaft connection point, and help isolate the vehicle from vibration.

Propeller Shaft Phasing Description
    The propeller shaft is designed and built with the yoke lugs, ears, in line with each other. This produces the smoothest running shaft possible. A propeller shaft designed with built in yoke lugs in line is known as in-phase. An out of phase propeller shaft often causes vibration. The propeller shaft generates vibration from speeding up and slowing down each time the rubber coupling goes around. The vibration is the same as a person snapping a rope and watching the wave reaction flow to the end. An in-phase propeller shaft is similar to 2 persons snapping a rope at the same time and watching the waves meet and cancel each other out. A total cancellation of vibration produces a smooth flow of power in the drive line. All splined shaft slip yokes are keyed in order to ensure proper phasing.

Center Bearing Description
    Center bearings support the driveline when using 2 or more propeller shafts. The center bearing is a ball bearing mounted in a rubber cushion that attaches to a frame crossmember. The manufacturer prelubricates and seals the bearing. The cushion allows vertical motion at the driveline and helps isolate the vehicle from vibration.
    From where is the sound coming?

The sound is in the rear end where it looks to have spline that then turn to a six bolt flange, if you rotate the wheels back each direction making the drive shaft turn each way while in neutral the the sound is as if the splines have play or a loose fit. To me this would seem to be a bad thing but this is a new type of setup for me.. Guess u could call it a yoke that then bolts to the flange for the rear end input..

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Well the splines are supposed to be loose enough the slide in and out to compensate for movement in the suspension. I do not know how much noise is normal. There can be a potential and known issue with the splines on the individual half shafts that fit into the hubs - some develop rust from under lubrication when assembled and can eventually make a lot of racket.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Are you sure you're hearing the driveshaft and not backlash in the rear diff? It sounds like you're describing the pinion yoke going into the rear diff, not the actual driveshaft.
    barrok69 likes this.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC
    Are you sure you're hearing the driveshaft and not backlash in the rear diff? It sounds like you're describing the pinion yoke going into the rear diff, not the actual driveshaft.
    . It's a round part at the end of the drive shaft before the rear end flange the click is from inside it

voodoochikin04 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 cts, 2004 Cts-v

camoking.... is this the noise youre hearing?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.