B&M installed... Yessss!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, B&M installed... Yessss! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; OK part of the thrill was I was able to do it myself. Been a long time since I took ...
    calicadi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

B&M installed... Yessss!

OK part of the thrill was I was able to do it myself. Been a long time since I took on anything like this. The instructions and pictures from B&M are excellent, but you must read and follow them closely. There were some difficult moments that I attribute to my own ignorance, but I was able to deal with it. It just took longer than expected. Let me know if you're interested in more detail. I'll do a write up and see if Reed will post on FAQ. Experienced mechanincs will have a good laugh.

The results... WOW! See the other recent B&M install threads. I echo all those positive comments. Sharp, precise, solid shifting. Noise? Yes, a little at the shift points when you can hear the sychros disengage-engage. I consider this a plus. It's only momentary and could help diagnose a synchro problem. You can hear other gear sounds more clearly but they are only slightly raised above the stock shifter level. All the noise issues are minor, minor, minor compared to the benefit.

And I must give credit to Cadillac engineers. Inspecting and comparing the two units I understand why they designed the stock shifter as they did and what they accomlished with it. It is not a POS. It simply traded the more positive, mechanical (almost aggressively so) feel of the B&M design, for an ultra quiet, easy operation that "every driver" would find acceptable, even "fun". I'll let the "Market-eers" argue whether "every driver" is a demographic that would consider a V at all. As for me, combined with the StealthV CAGS Emlininator, this is exactly the way I want my car to shift.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BliTzer is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: B&M installed... Yessss!

Good Job Cali.. sounds awesome... Im going to change my flywheel soon, when i decide for certain which 1 out of the three i have dwindled down too, i will do the shifter at that time as well... Since they have to bust the tranny loose to do the FW, that will be the right time for me... I am also looking at the B&M, i have had B&M parts on other cars i have owned, & i can say they where outstanding, & lasting a long time..
    Thanx for the heads up on that write up.. that helped me alot...

have fun shifting
    later blitzer

TXSilverV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I just installed mine yesterday as well. I have now found a new love for my car! OK well just more love. It now reminds me of my Porsche that I had. mine does have the noise as well. I thought I had installed it wrong till I checked all of the threads. It only make the noise from 1st to 2nd. But I think it is a must do mod. Anyone in Dallas that want's to try it out first just let me know.

Mikes V is offline Cadillac Owners Member

If you are going to be at the show on Saturday, I'd like to see it!

That will be my first mod!

BowenCT is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V platinum/blk.

calicadi and TXSilverV,

What kind of labor time are we looking at for do-it-yourselfers? How about for an experienced shop with a lift? Thanks Boys.

-MB

NH-V is offline Cadillac Owners Member

PICS?!?!?!?!
    I wana see this thing!

TXSilverV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Ok do not laugh at me! I worked on this thing for four hours! I had to get a friend come over and finish. There is a reason I have a desk job! Mike I will even let you drive it so you can see if you like it. As far as a picture goes I used the factory shifter and boot so it will just look the same to you.

Mikes V is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thank you very much, but I wouldn't be comfortable driving someone elses car.

I'm weird like that!

04CTSVFLA is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

what exactly does the B&M do? And what exactly is it. Sorry for the dumb questions.

Kadonny is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Owned 3 V's, now driving a GC STR8

Quote Originally Posted by 04CTSVFLA
    what exactly does the B&M do? And what exactly is it. Sorry for the dumb questions.
    B&M is a company that makes performance and racing shifters for cars. They are talking about an aftermarket shifter for the V made by B&M.

3rdstreet is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by 04CTSVFLA
    B&M is a short shifter - it shortens the length of your 'throws' so that you can shift from gear to gear much quicker. (it does not shorten the height of your shifter in your car - just the length of getting the shifter into gear).

There are NO dumb questions.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Based upon the positive reviews I've read here on the forum, I ordered a B&M shifter yesterday ... it's being shipped today, so I should have it installed before this weekend. I can't wait. The price was right, too ... < 2 bills to my door.

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er
    Based upon the positive reviews I've read here on the forum, I ordered a B&M shifter yesterday ... it's being shipped today, so I should have it installed before this weekend. I can't wait. The price was right, too ... < 2 bills to my door.
    cool...you won't be disappointed!

Staxxin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

I've see in other threads that the noise is so bad that they pulled the B&M out and replaced it with a UUC. I'm presently in the market for a short shifter and If I can save $200 and go with the B&M I will. Can somone elaborate on the noise? It's really a concern for me.

Thanks!!!!

you can hear the winding noise of the transmission. I just put dynomat on the shaft and it seemed to have minimized the noise enough to where it doesn't bother me anymore. There is still some noise, but definitely tolerable where as when I initially installed it, I thought I did something wrong and was not happy with it cuz IMO I thought it made the car sound cheap. But, like I said - dynomat and now I'm happy !

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.