Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Coolant smell

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  WesH8398 
#1 ·
I was getting a coolant smell out of the "v". Temperature seems to be running just fine, no loss of coolant that I can tell from the resevoir. But after running the car hard for some time I get a coolant smell. I replaced the water pump recently as it was starting to make some noise. Im still getting the smell of coolant though after getting the engine hot. I checked the radiator and there were no coolant leaks and still are no leaks visible any where... Is there something simple that I am missing that I just am not checking. Also I did replace the thermostat as long as I was in there.

#4 ·
Its the rad. Our rads seep at the seams. Give off the smell but it dries and not puddles. Mine did this for about 3 months before i had to change it. I was lucky. I got 120k out of it. My other car has had three so far in less than 100k. Do yourself a favor and get the alradco.

#17 ·
My original rad was leaking from the seams near the bottom - not a bunch, but enough to smell it and see some dripping from that bottom plastic shroud. I put a $10 bottle of some rad leak fixer stuff (just as a temporary fix) and it seemed to do the trick as I priced out new rads. 2 1/2 years later and it's still never leaked again...same rad. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.