275's on factory rims (rear only) with pics
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, 275's on factory rims (rear only) with pics in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I got GS-D3's put on. 245 up front and 275's in the rear. What little driving I've done feels fine. ...
    AmesCTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V

275's on factory rims (rear only) with pics

I got GS-D3's put on. 245 up front and 275's in the rear. What little driving I've done feels fine. They hook up really well, which seems to have made wheel hop worse. It seems like they are really stretching the sidewalls in the back, so I'm guess they will wear badly. Here are some quick pics:

Front 245's left and rear 275's right.

This is a top down shot. I was actually a little further away with the 275's so in reality if I was the same distance the 275's would show more bulge

They look awesome from behind. Very tough.
    12 CTS-V | 12 SRX | 09 Z06 | 08 C6 Z51
    05 CTS-V | 04 GTO (Sold)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Staxxin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: 275's on factory rims (rear only) with pics

They look great!!! Do you plan to stay on this configuration? I've been seriously thinking of doing the samething but I'm waiting until my rears are completly dead.

jerrycecco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

great pics, looks EXACTLY like mine, got 275's this weekend, had not any time to get pics. You been able to "test" them yet?

Unless things changed drastically I plan to stick with this setup. I love the look of it. I tooks some corners fast and hard, but at low speeds. Everything seemed good. They hook up really well, but it seems to make the wheel hop worse.
    05 CTS-V | 04 GTO (Sold)

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by AmesCTS-V
    I tooks some corners fast and hard, but at low speeds.

DeVillish is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

dumb question....can you fit 245/275s on a base CTS with some 18x8in rims with out rubbing or rolling the fenders?

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho
    I'm talking about going around a 90 degree corner like turning from one city street to another at 30 mph. It's fast for taking that type of a turn, but ultimately 30 mph is slow. I haven't done any curves in the road at 60 mph.
    05 CTS-V | 04 GTO (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by DeVillish
    dumb question....can you fit 245/275s on a base CTS with some 18x8in rims with out rubbing or rolling the fenders?
    I'm not well enough versed in the CTS to know what kind of clearances it has. I would think someone here knows?
    05 CTS-V | 04 GTO (Sold)

trukk is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon

It is my understanding that the quarterpanels are the same between the models, so fenders shouldn't be an issue. I am not familiar with what control arms are used, and if they might cause a rubbing problem (for V's the rear is OK, but the front is an issue when going greater than 245-255).

The main issue that sticks out though, is your mention of an 8" rim, vs. the 8.5" inch used by the V. Putting 275's on an 8.5" is pushing it, I don't think putting 275's on an 8" rim would be a good idea. I'd think that putting 245's on an 8" rim would be similar to putting 275's on an 8.5" rim, it's beyond the recommended minimum size, but it shouldn't be a huge issue.

-Chris

odysseus is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS

The V and the regular CTS have identical chassis. The main differences as it applies here are:

1) The stock V sits about 1/2" lower than a stock CTS. The tires are that much closer to the fenders.

2) The V wheels are 8.5" wide with 42mm offset. 275's have a recommended wheel width of 9" to 11". Wildwhl widened his stock V wheels almost an inch for proper fit. Clearly, the pics posted show they tires fit the stock 8.5" V wheels, with a little bulge at the sidewall. Installing on 8" wide wheels will increase that bulge by 1/4" on each side of the tire. I'm sure one could mount them to 8's but they would not be as tight a ride in corners as the sidewalls would laterally 'roll' on the rim with a side load. Not recommended.

3) Stock V has 42mm offset. I believe Wildwhl put ~5mm spacers to bring it to an effective offset of 37mm, to keep clearance from the trailing arm but not hit the inner fender. The popular 40mm should be fine for this, as the posted pic is with stock V wheels at 42mm offset.

Hmm, ok so how about an 18x8.5 with a 38mm offset, 245 in the front and 275 in the rear, does that sound like a winner? Iam still trying to learn about all this offset and stuff with the CTS and you V guys seem to be the only ones going bigger then 245. Also are you using 45 or 40?

lawfive is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2005 Maggied CTS-V; 2004 Lightning

Also are you using 45 or 40?
    To keep a consistent overall diameter, you should run 245/45 in front and 275/40 in back. That's what I've got, along with widened 9.25" stock wheels and 0.2" spacers (thanks, Wildwhl!) in the back.

I can feel more flexing with the GS-D3's in general, which you'd expect because of the difference in sidewall rigidity compared to the F1 Supercar EMTs. If you go with narrower wheels on a fat tire, the combination will yield even less rigidity. And mounting the tires to wheels that are narrower than recommended is a safety risk, up to and including losing bead seating while maneuvering - something that'll ruin your whole day.

how much did it cost to widen the rims? I would love to get the 275s on these Fittipaldi rims i've been looking at, but they are 8.5. btw, didnt mean to jack your thread lol. Love your Vs!

lawfive is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2005 Maggied CTS-V; 2004 Lightning

ace996 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Lemon Law'd '05 V

In stock class autoxes, you will see people running 275 on 8" rims. Granted, this is with very stiff sidewall r-compound tires, but it is done with great success within the rules. It is not recommended to run 275 on 8" on the street, though. 255 is about the widest I'd run on an 8" for the street, without running insanely high tire pressures...

The Evo has 235s on an 8inch, STi has 225 on an 8"....many have run 255s with good results and not too much wag. In autoxes, the Evos mostly run 275...on a 17"x 8" rim, and they are almost unbeatable...almost.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.