Asking for feedback for driveshaft carrier bearing replacement results
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Asking for feedback for driveshaft carrier bearing replacement results in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; EDIT: Per post #3 below, please note to NOT send a PM to me. Please post any relevant information after ...
    PJGross is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Asking for feedback for driveshaft carrier bearing replacement results

EDIT: Per post #3 below, please note to NOT send a PM to me. Please post any relevant information after reading post #4 by me, below. I was trying to avoid controversy, not break forum rules. I will ask a mod to delete "results via PM" in the title.
    ------------------------------------

I have been on this forum for a while. I do not wish to get caught up in the business side of all the vendor related posts going back and forth. I have opinions on that topic but I do not want to risk being banned, blocked, locked, etc.

Therefore, please do not post anything in this thread that would have it be locked. (deleted sentence)

My question is this: Can anyone who has had their V1 driveshaft carrier bearing replaced by anyone please post their experience/results/etc? I do not wish to advertise for any one and break any rules, so please do not post anything against the rules in this thread. Thank you.

-----------------
    Just for background and reference, I have been battling a deteriorating driveshaft carrier bearing for years. I have described in several threads (in responses to others with similar symptoms) how I have reinforced the torn rubber with windshield adhesive. (you can search in google via the stickied search method to find the threads). In a really convoluted way I could profit from naming a particular brand of adhesive so I will not name one at this time to ensure I am not profiting from this post.

I have also explained how lubing the bearing with SeaFoam Deep Creep lubricant once every few months has kept my whining (carrier bearing only) to a minimum. This was not my idea but one from someone else and has worked for me. I do not profit from any sales of SeaFoam Deep Creep, just for the record.

Unfortunately, I believe the stresses with the deteriorating rubber (before supporting) in the carrier combined with sagging trans and motor mounts (and possibly my maggie and lead foot) have really strained the snot out of that bearing.

My carrier bearing squeal is nearly constant. Therefore, it is time to do something. I know my options pretty well:
    1) 8.8 or 9.0 rear conversion
    2) 2 piece OE shaft
    3) 2 piece aftermarket shaft
    4) 1 piece alum or carbon shaft
    5) Replace bearing using a new service that doesn't have established resulting road miles/vibrational/fitment experiences from anyone that has posted on this forum or other V1 related forums (to my knowledge)

I think the list is in order of $ roughly, but I really want to stay out of the $ discussion. I know #5 is most appealing to me initially considering the amount of performance to be gained by any of the above options... except # 1 but that is really in another class, more modification than maintenance.

I would rather spend $ on go fast parts rather than go parts, so that is the reason for trying to obtain some feedback on this topic without it getting controversial.

Thank you in advance for any feedback you can post. This will everyone in determining which path to choose.

-PJ

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jdbuilder is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Re: Asking for feedback for driveshaft carrier bearing replacement results

Any way you could pm the results. I posted a vid on another forum of the sound and got the sea foam suggestion, it worked for almost a year but it's back and not going away.

Submariner409 is online now If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Asking for feedback for driveshaft carrier bearing replacement results via PM....

Please be careful - this link is from the Rules you signed.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-material.html

Re: Asking for feedback for driveshaft carrier bearing replacement results via PM....

Well, I read the "terms of service" before posting but didn't re-read the forum rules forum.

I will attempt to change the title, then, and edit my initial post. I am trying to avoid advertising for anyone while at the same time gaining feedback for whether an option is viable / worthwhile pursuing or not.

I wasn't sure how to accomplish this effectively and of course I've inadvertently done exactly what I tried hard not to do.

Everyone please reply with your results of having a CTS-V1 driveshaft carrier bearing changed. I would like to know how many miles you have and whether you've noted any extra variations, etc.

I don't care where you have had this done or any details about cost, etc. I just want to know if anyone has had success with this path.

Thank you,

PJ Gross

Submariner409 is online now If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Don't sweat it - a recent series of "under the radar" product selling and the threads they started has started a very dedicated monitoring system for these "Current Vehicle" forums. But please get your business done privately.

fweasel is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

My carrier whine was reduced significantly with the 3M window urethane reinforcement trick. Prior to that, my 50K original would whine several times per trip, usually quitting once the car came to a complete stop. After the reinforcement, it will only begin to whine if I introduced a lot of deflection into the driveshaft, like an aggressive downshift on the highway, but even then, it happens very rarely.

I bought a used OEM driveshaft with a good bearing from a forum member that swapped to an 8.8. I plan on installing that during my clutch install in a few weeks. I then plan on dropping my original driveshaft off at a local shop to see what they can do with it and a new CTS carrier bearing. They were referred to me by a local speed shop who says they don't give up easily and have built some pretty custom setup for them in the past.

If the rebuild fails and my used replacemnt craps out, I would then consider taking the chance on an OEM rebuild service that may or may not have been discussed here in the past.

Update: Requested Submariner409 to remove the last 3 words in the thread title. Not sure if this is possible or not. I really wasn't trying to break the rules, I just want to see if anyone has had success with the bearing swap before I decide to do it or not.

I would like this thread to focus on people's experiences so I can make a more informed decision. It is my understanding that others out there have had this done, but I have not read any public statements confirming this.

As annoying as the squealing is, I may get my bearing serviced without knowing if anyone else has had this done successfully, but since this is the newest option I'd like to hear from anyone who has had it done.

Obviously no one will have long term results, and that is understandable.

Thanks,
    PJ

OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

I've had success with the CF one piece driveshaft swap and love it. granted it is expensive but you'll never need to replace anything on the drievshaft again and its only about $500 more than an OEM replacement

ctsv247 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray V

Driveshafts are go fast parts. You would be surprised how a good driveshaft will wake a car up.

Do the CF 1 piece and then when you swap to an 8.8 get the spacer DSS can make to reuse it.

AAIIIC is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

I, too, would be interested in hearing from anyone that has had a center bearing replaced successfully. I haven't been under the car to check it out, but I think the rubber supporting my carrier bearing is well worn - I get quite a bit of the "diving board" noise referred to in another recent thread. (I would never have thought to refer to it that way, but as soon as I read that thread I was like, "Huh, that's a perfect description!" ) I've been debating doing the CF driveshaft, but obviously if I can spend $1000 less to fix the current setup that's a more palatable solution.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Edit: apparently cts and ctsv carrier bearings are in fact different

jdbuilder is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Well that would rock if it can be replaced. Anyone try it yet?

It can be replaced.... I have not personally done it but others have.

2005_CTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I just did the swap to a CF one piece this winter when my carrier bearing went out. Day and night difference from stock to it. I will probably be selling soon tho, upgrading to an 8.8 or 9".

Quote Originally Posted by 2005_CTS-V View Post
    I just did the swap to a CF one piece this winter when my carrier bearing went out. Day and night difference from stock to it. I will probably be selling soon tho, upgrading to an 8.8 or 9".
    It may be cheaper to hold onto it and get an adapter for the 8.8" or 9" made by DSS.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.