Blown Engine - anyone have a line on a low-miles LS6 to bolt in or a good swap?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Blown Engine - anyone have a line on a low-miles LS6 to bolt in or a good swap? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Back in November I was driving my 2004 V from NJ to Massachusetts and as soon as I hit the ...
    bpitas is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS-V

Blown Engine - anyone have a line on a low-miles LS6 to bolt in or a good swap?

Back in November I was driving my 2004 V from NJ to Massachusetts and as soon as I hit the Merritt Parkway the car started vibrating badly and by the time I could find a place to pull over, the engine was completely trashed. I have pulled the engine but haven't stripped it down yet, due to a few competing priorities (moved from Mass to New Hampshire and had a baby all in January!) so I don't know how bad it is yet. But there were chunks of metal in the intake, so I'm thinking the engine is a total loss.

My favorite mechanic was able to locate a junkyard LS6 for $2k with 70k miles on it back in December/January, but with all the other stuff going on there was no way I could afford it then, and since then it's been snatched up.

Every time I've ever needed advise or help, this board has been awesome, so I'm hoping someone might have a lead on a reasonable-mileage LS6 for a reasonable price somewhere in the Northeast that I could pick up and slap in.

Either that, or if anyone has a suggestion for a swap that would work, that would be great too. I know the LS family engines changed the number of teeth on the reluctor(?) wheel on the crank sometime around 2004, so I don't know if an LS2 will even swap into an LS6 car without changing the computer and a bunch of other stuff, but if someone knows an easy path for a swap I'd love to hear about it. I'll be reading through the archives to try and find as much information as I can, but I figured I'd throw this post out just in case someone had some good news that I could act on quickly.

I'd also really appreciate any advice on where else I could post this to try and find an LS6 - the only other sites I could think of were LS1.com and some of the Corvette forums.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

-Bob

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    LS6s are becoming unicorns. The LS3 is a much desired implant but doesn't sound like your cup of tea $$$ wise...

Re: Blown Engine - anyone have a line on a low-miles LS6 to bolt in or a good swap?

Yeah, I have to keep this as cheap as possible. Just bought a house and had a baby so no money for toys. My wife is already beating me up about keeping the car, despite my obviously intelligent point that a car without an engine is worthless to everyone except for the current owner.

odla is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

Re: Blown Engine - anyone have a line on a low-miles LS6 to bolt in or a good swap?

You have any speed shops around you? Maybe they can give you some leads too? How many miles did you have and any mods? I think it is kinda rare that a stock ls6 just goes.

SevillianSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Was your engine stock or modded ?

I'll ask some of the local speed shops - that's a great idea!
    As for the engine, it had just cat-back exhaust and a tune. Pretty much stock, and it grenaded when I was literally cruising at 55mph in 6th, completely out of the blue, unless I maybe hit a bump or something.
    I had it towed to a garage down in CT (I lived in MA at the time) and they wanted to listen to it, and when they started it, it sounded like 8 dwarves with sledgehammers having a fight in the bottom of the valley, so I'll be shocked if it's not junk, but it actually didn't throw anything out of the block - a hairline crack in the pan was the only oil leak.

-B

ctsv247 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray V

Hate to hear it, look forward to seeing what your cheapest option turns out to be..good luck!

odla is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

Sounds like a bad tune?

TERP V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '04 Cadillac CTS-V, '69 Firebird Convertible

Sorry to hear this, same thing happened to my '04 back in April. I was also reluctant to pick up a junkyard engine, so the car sat and sat. But about 2 weeks ago I found an actual GM crate LS6, never even unwrapped, that had been sitting in this guys garage for over 2 years (found at www.racingjunk.com). He and a friend had bought a handful of them from a dealer who discounted them, anyway he never used the one.

Just got the car and motor in my mechanics hands this past Friday, so news should trickle in...

Anyway, when I was trying to figure out what to do, members had several recommendations, including picking up a motor from a shop called Thompson Motor Sports in Texas, seen here thru their ebay store:

Thompson Motor Sports - eBay
    They also have a website you can google.

After comparing a bunch of places, I had intended to give them a call until I found my motor. Seemed like a number of reasonable choices.

Heres a link back to what some of the guys had to say about mine in case it helps:

Death of My V - Opinions

BigDaddy-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V 04 LS6

Thompson Motorsports is right down the road from me here in the burbs of Dallas. He is a good guy and really trying to make good products for us LS guys. His name is Kyle and he is owner operator. Give him a call, but I will say the website kind of is lacking in spots so best to call and see what he can do for you.

BDV

WasTiSLine is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V, 2013 MKT Elite Ecoboost

Too bad Toronto is so far away. Here's a pretty nifty deal on a LS6 with 450hp

We have fresh rebuilt LS6 with Texas speed street cam, LS 7 lifters, comp pushrods, comp valve springs, Katech timing chain, modified oil pump, ported ls2 intake. $4000
    http://ls1tech.com/forums/canadian-m...s6-4000-a.html

Ouch - 9 hours each way!
    The crapbox hooptie pickup I have now (2001 F150) wouldn't even make it that far! LOL

----------

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy-V View Post
    Thompson Motorsports is right down the road from me here in the burbs of Dallas. He is a good guy and really trying to make good products for us LS guys. His name is Kyle and he is owner operator. Give him a call, but I will say the website kind of is lacking in spots so best to call and see what he can do for you.

BDV
    Thanks for the heads up - I'll do that!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by odla View Post
    Sounds like a bad tune?
    Doubtful - it ran fine on that tune for at least a couple years.

----------

This is super helpful - thanks a ton!

Quote Originally Posted by TERP V View Post
    Sorry to hear this, same thing happened to my '04 back in April. I was also reluctant to pick up a junkyard engine, so the car sat and sat. But about 2 weeks ago I found an actual GM crate LS6, never even unwrapped, that had been sitting in this guys garage for over 2 years (found at www.racingjunk.com). He and a friend had bought a handful of them from a dealer who discounted them, anyway he never used the one.

Just got the car and motor in my mechanics hands this past Friday, so news should trickle in...

Anyway, when I was trying to figure out what to do, members had several recommendations, including picking up a motor from a shop called Thompson Motor Sports in Texas, seen here thru their ebay store:

Thompson Motor Sports - eBay
    They also have a website you can google.

After comparing a bunch of places, I had intended to give them a call until I found my motor. Seemed like a number of reasonable choices.

Heres a link back to what some of the guys had to say about mine in case it helps:

Death of My V - Opinions

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.