New Rear Brake Pads - Backing Plate / Grease Question ?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, New Rear Brake Pads - Backing Plate / Grease Question ? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; So I'm putting new rotors and pads on the rear. I have a set of stock Brembo pads (came with ...
    SevillianSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

New Rear Brake Pads - Backing Plate / Grease Question ?

So I'm putting new rotors and pads on the rear.

I have a set of stock Brembo pads (came with backing plates, and a copper looking grease)

Where do I apply this grease ?

----------

Also meant to say, yes I did check the FAQ for this simple question, but did not see anything specific.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

philistine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

Re: New Rear Brake Pads - Backing Plate / Grease Question ?

You put the grease on the back side of the pad then place the metal shim over it. Do NOT put grease on the wear surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by philistine View Post
    You put the grease on the back side of the pad then place the metal shim over it. Do NOT put grease on the wear surfaces.
    Thanks, ya I knew not to put slippery grease on the friction surface. LOL.

Nothing on the other side of the shim ? Seems everywhere I read online they say to put it on the edges... but I don't see how it would ever stay on the edges for very long.

fweasel is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Its used for anti-resonance, and really is only effective, IMO, between the pad back and the shim. I too have seen procedures call for something to be applied between the shim and caliper piston face on other cars, but have never done that because its a mess, attracts and holds more dust, dirt, and grime. I personally use the bright orange CRC discbrakequiet goop. If given time to set, it cures to more of a rubbery substance and works fine for street pad temp ranges. I used it the first time I loaded a set of track pads for an HDPE out of habbit and it didn't last long

Thanks for all the input. I didn't know how critical this grease was.

I'll admit, I had already put the pads on last night, and I did spread the grease between the shim and pad back. Just wanted to make sure I did it right. Haven't got it all the way back together cause I had to order new hardware; one of the pin retainers was broke.

ctsv247 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray V

The crc disc brake goop keeps the pads quiet by essentially gluing them in place and the grease keeps the pads from squealing as they move around.

philistine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by SevillianSTS View Post
    Thanks, ya I knew not to put slippery grease on the friction surface. LOL.

Nothing on the other side of the shim ? Seems everywhere I read online they say to put it on the edges... but I don't see how it would ever stay on the edges for very long.
    No, nothing on the other side, that is it, just did a brake job on the 'V' with stock pads - no squeals and absolutely wonderful braking power!

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

What do you guys do with pads that come with the shims already adhered to the back of the pads? Do you find that whatever they use to stick the shims on there provides the anti-squeal effect?

Both the Raybestos front pads and the Stoptech rear pads I'm using now have shims already on them. I've been putting a little bit of grease on the outside of the shim, just where the pistons make contact - trying to use as little as possible to avoid the mess that was referred to earlier.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

fweasel is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I have not done any brake work on my V yet, but all of the Hawk street pads I used on my legacies, both OEM and brembo's calipers, had a shim bonded to the pad. I modified the OEM shim to fit the pad and prepped the surface between as usual. The pistons had to be fully compressed to fit the extra material, but my results were better than the one time I ran the pads w/o shims. The shim kept the entire assembly a little more tidy between services.

ctsv247 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray V

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    I have not done any brake work on my V yet, but all of the Hawk street pads I used on my legacies, both OEM and brembo's calipers, had a shim bonded to the pad. I modified the OEM shim to fit the pad and prepped the surface between as usual. The pistons had to be fully compressed to fit the extra material, but my results were better than the one time I ran the pads w/o shims. The shim kept the entire assembly a little more tidy between services.
    Gotta be careful when you start stacking shims. The brakes will expand a little when hot and can start to drag if you get them too tight.

I also think this is one of the unofficial uses of the CRC. A lot of guys will dab it on the back of a pre-shimed pad and let the CRC essentially glue it into the brake piston so it won't move around. Kinda messy but I can't say that I've seen it cause problems either because it cleans up easily enough...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.