Which bushings/mounts to inspect?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Which bushings/mounts to inspect? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hey guys. I just got my 2005 CTS-V 2 weeks ago and have been reading up on the forums. Which ...
    -Ross- is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Which bushings/mounts to inspect?

Hey guys. I just got my 2005 CTS-V 2 weeks ago and have been reading up on the forums. Which bushings/mounts should I inspect first? Which ones are the first to fail and what do I need to look for?

At the present, I have a slight/faint clunkish ("ta-ta-ta") type of sound when I disengage the clutch between the 1-2 and 2-3 shift (probably have it during the other shifts, but at those speeds it's just not as noticeable).

I have also noticed the engine comes to a kind of rumbley/shakey stop when turning the car off. Not terrible, but it's there. I assume this is a motor mount issue.

Other than those 2 symptoms, the car seems pretty solid. No real vibration or anything while driving. The car had only 1 previous owner and is bone stock with 42k miles.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

austinls is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, Black, Borla exhaust

Re: Which bushings/mounts to inspect?

There are many threads relative to V bushing issues. A search will keep you busy and be very informative.

Typically, the rumbling when you turn the engine off is motor mount bushings. OEM mounts typically leak when bad, with brown residue showing on the side of the oil pan. Most of us have replaced OEM mounts regardless.

Shifter bushings are also common to replace. I used Creative Steel bushings when I installed PISNUOFF's short shifter (a great product and great service from Brian).

Trans mount/bushing is also common to fail.

Front diff bushing is another common failure in V's.

Enjoy your V. We all do.

There are a couple Caddy dealers that are forum sponsors. Look to them for support and good prices on Cad parts (Rippy and Lindsay Cadillac come to mind). They are active on the forum and have ads/links.

2007-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Go ahead and plan to do the engine/trans/diff mount asap. You, and the car, will be much better off.

the "ta-ta-ta" is likely the dual mass flywheel crap that will do that until you replace it, however that would be best done when it is clutch time.

barrok69 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Maggied

While you're under there you should also look at the front lower shock mount bushings. 40k on my car and they need replacing.

Wingsfan4life is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V Black Raven
    Plan doing every single one..starting with MM, Trans, Rear Diff, Shifter...work your way from there...depending on milage, and how hard you drive it will determine where to go next...have fun! And start looking at tires!

FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by barrok69 View Post
    While you're under there you should also look at the front lower shock mount bushings. 40k on my car and they need replacing.
    There isn't such a thing. Are you talking about the lower control arm bushings?

barrok69 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Maggied

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    There isn't such a thing. Are you talking about the lower control arm bushings?
    I'm referring to the shock eye bushing. But they actually can't be individually replaced without installing a whole new shock unfortunately. I'm not sure how many other people have had this, but the lower shock bushing "integral to the shock" on my car is flattened/pushed out and pretty worn. I've had a small amount of impact harshness that I'm attributing to the pushed out/worn shock bushings.

I've got new shocks and springs that I'll be installing soon so it won't be an issue for me, but for anybody else, sucks that you have to replace the entire shock for a worn out front lower shock eye bushing

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.