Stability control engaging all the time
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Stability control engaging all the time in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Does anyone know why my stability control would pop up all the time while driving? And sometimes you can even ...
    Msmith1818 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts-v

Stability control engaging all the time

Does anyone know why my stability control would pop up all the time while driving? And sometimes you can even feel it engage.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Stability control engaging all the time

Do you literally mean all (i.e. 100&) of the time - or just frequently? Are your tires the same size on all four corners? Do you deliver pizza in your V? See Attached.

It will do it everytime in the car and seems to be doing it more and more. I have all the same size tires on all around 255/45/18. Lol no I don't not deliver any pizzas. It seemed to have started ever since I had my tie rods replaced about 2 months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Msmith1818 View Post
    It will do it everytime in the car and seems to be doing it more and more. I have all the same size tires on all around 255/45/18. Lol no I don't not deliver any pizzas. It seemed to have started ever since I had my tie rods replaced about 2 months ago.
    The trouble shooting chart indicates causes that include either loose connections to (or a defective) electronic brake control module; or loose connections to (or a bad) instrument panel cluster. It is possible that the connection to EBCM was loosened when they did the tie rod change, but not particularly likely. It also could be that one or more of the grounds need to be "freshened."

Hmmm ok thanks for the help ill have to check the connections

Lou72 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

I had a problem similar to this. I would get sporadic messages of stability system engaged and sometimes you could feel the car pulse the brake on one wheel ever so slightly. After a little research on the forums here, I found the problem to be a bad steering wheel position sensor. Fairly cheap part, but not the easiest to reach. Search some old threads on the topic and see if it sounds like the issue you're having.
    darkman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou72 View Post
    I had a problem similar to this. I would get sporadic messages of stability system engaged and sometimes you could feel the car pulse the brake on one wheel ever so slightly. After a little research on the forums here, I found the problem to be a bad steering wheel position sensor. Fairly cheap part, but not the easiest to reach. Search some old threads on the topic and see if it sounds like the issue you're having.
    Good point, and one that I should have mentioned. If the problem does not occur all (100%) of the time, but is rather intermittent it can be a defective sensor. The system uses a steering wheel position sensor, a yaw (and lateral movement) sensor, and the 4 individual wheel speed sensors to detect instability. Sometimes these sensors will trigger a diagnostic trouble code when they go bad, but often they do not.

Mine does exactly what lou79 said

----------

Sorry what lou72* said so it's most likely the steering wheel position sensor?

Based on previous reports on this forum it can either the Yaw sensor or the steering wheel position sensor. It can also be one of the individual wheel speed sensors, but we have fewer reports of those. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...r-install.html

Lou72 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    Based on previous reports on this forum it can either the Yaw sensor or the steering wheel position sensor. It can also be one of the individual wheel speed sensors, but we have fewer reports of those. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...r-install.html
    This is the How-To that I used to get it fixed. Great details, making for a short afternoon job. I brought my car to my friend at the dealer when I was trying to diagnose my issue as the steering wheel position sensor or the yaw sensor. We drove around with a TECH-II hooked up, but of course couldn't reproduce the issue and saw no strange sensor readings. I heard of 1 or 2 people with bad yaw sensors and at least 6 people with bad steering sensors, so I just gambled and went with the steering sensor. I started to get the stability system message about twice a day, but haven't gotten any (unexpected) messages since replacing the sensor just over a year ago.

Thanks guys really appreciate the help ill have to bring it to my buddy and plug it in and drive around

So I brought the car to my mechanic and he hooked it up and said no codes where going off, he said that 1 wheel sensor was glitching like 1 mph but nothing that he said would need to be changed

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

I don't remember if the swps gives a code.

Quote Originally Posted by odla View Post
    I don't remember if the swps gives a code.
    Based on this comment and the fact that I don't recall anyone actually reporting check engine lights in conjunction with stability control system issues I did some checking. The OBD2 code list does include three codes that could apply - U0123, U0124, and U0126 for communication failures involving the Yaw sensor, the Lateral acceleration sensor (which is combine with the Yaw on the CTS-V), and the steering wheel position sensor, respectively. However, the CTS-V (2005) literature does not list any of these as active for the CTS-V. This would seem to explain why many of the stability system failures reported on this forum are "codeless."

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

Good to know darkman. Thanks

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.