MAF Screen or No-Screen? Preliminary results inside...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, MAF Screen or No-Screen? Preliminary results inside... in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Tested the MAF screen removal today: Results of no screen: AFR leaned out an average of nearly four tenths at ...
    StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

MAF Screen or No-Screen? Preliminary results inside...

Tested the MAF screen removal today:

Results of no screen:
    AFR leaned out an average of nearly four tenths at WOT
    Lost an average of 1.1 hp from 2000 rpm to 6800.
    MAF measured air flow was 3.2% less (hence the leaning out of the AFR)
    Measured asphalt performance from 29 to 98 mph = 0.151 seconds slower

Test Conditions:
    Screened IAT = 77.8*F
    Descreened IAT = 76.4*F
    Screened ECT = 192*F
    Descreened ECT = 192*F

On a stock tune, leaning out the AFR @ WOT would be a good thing. Since my WOT AFR was already dialed in with the MAF screen in place, the more lean mixture without the screen hurt performance as noted above.

Was collecting data to recalibrate the MAF for no screen and my laptop died midstream. Once the MAF is recalibrated for the measured reduced flow, the performance should be back to screened levels if not more.

Headed out for calibration data now.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CTSV05 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: MAF Screen or No-Screen? Preliminary results inside...

So, you feel that you can increase perf. w/o the screen once you compensate the tune?

Once the MAF is recalibrated, the performace should be at the minimum the same as it was screened. Whether it'll actually pick up anything - that remains to be validated.

Got round two of testing done today. The descreened MAF and its ability to measure the air flowing past it is off anywhere from 0 to 5% depending on the airflow required to feed the engine. Some interesting harmonics showed up in the data which will require a little more investigation. If the harmonics show up again, descreening a MAF without a corresponding tune adjustment would cause flat spots and hesitation in acceleration along with incorrect fuel trims.

At low airflow rates, the decreened MAF has trouble measuring the air going by as one would expect; through the middle frequency range, there isn't much difference between screened and and without. Up top, the descreened MAF starts to have trouble measuring the airflow again.

Performance gain or loss from a properly calibrated descreened MAF is next; stay "tuned."

Dreamin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 V

Yep, sounds exactly like the problems associated with descreening a MAF... slight surging... hesitation... It's going to be tough to compensate with a tune... HMO of course.

Compensation in the tune is easy *if you know what you are doing* as it is already done.

There are zero flat spots or hesitations on my descreened and now recalibrated MAF. In fact, I can't tell it is descreened other than the 1 oz. of honeycomb laying on the workbench. Need to get the performance testing done next as this is definitely not a SOTP detectable mod.

ntechnic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

So the question is, is de-screening worth it? It sounds like a miniscule gain is possible, but probably not more than I'd gain if I watched my diet for a few weeks and lost 5 pounds...

True, but it may help HDMLNIUM get to 12.8

a64pilot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

FWIW, on the LS1 Fbody's it wasn't worth it. Neither was the bigger MAF's Granatelli etc. at least not on a basically stock motor. Bore it and stroke it and the rules change of course. I ran an auto Fbody and it took three things to put on of those in the 11's 150 shot of N20, 3500 RPM stall converter and drag slicks. 150 shot of N2O ought to put HDMLNIUM in mid 12's at least.

c5racr1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 04 cts v

a 150 shot would put him in the high 11s with traction.

V-seriesTech is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by c5racr1
    a 150 shot would put him in the high 11s with traction.

65mph_Roll is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Don't a lot of aftermarket CAI's omit the screen and count on the new high flow filter element to “stratify” the air? For my ’04 Cobra K&N claims 30.8 HP at 5,900rpm, which I thought was ridiculous until I installed it and ran it—really made a noticeable everywhere in rpm range. You can really hear the Eaton blower now too. The car even starts more “aggressively”.

ntechnic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

On my '03 Cobra, I ran the K&N filtercharger kit too. It was my third CAI and the best, as the dyno showed. But you have to keep in mind that that kit included a mini velocity stack built into the filter mount. That had a HUGE effect on the airflow, and was the reason why the K&N bumped my rwhp from 424 to 451 hp (and that was over an upgraded open CAI, NOT the stock filter). Unreal bump for a CAI, and it wasn't really, it was a big bump from a well designed velocity stack.

V-seriesTech is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

On the dyno for my car, we tried three MAF meters, a stock modified LS1 meter with composite ends,no screen. it worked ok, then we tried an actual Z06 piece/LS6 piece with no screen from the factory,...ran ok,...then we tried your guys CTS-V/6.0 liter(truck) screened MAF meter, which is the same as the Z06 piece but with a screen, which is what we have choosen to run on my car.

65mph_Roll is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by ntechnic
    On my '03 Cobra, I ran the K&N filtercharger kit too. It was my third CAI and the best, as the dyno showed. But you have to keep in mind that that kit included a mini velocity stack built into the filter mount. That had a HUGE effect on the airflow, and was the reason why the K&N bumped my rwhp from 424 to 451 hp (and that was over an upgraded open CAI, NOT the stock filter). Unreal bump for a CAI, and it wasn't really, it was a big bump from a well designed velocity stack.
    Thank you for validating that. I noticed the velocity stack too--of course my Supra buddy tells me the imports have been doing that for many years.

YOU DID NOT INSTALL THE SCREEN, RIGHT??

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.