Fuel pump going out?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Fuel pump going out? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; So today I was going home on lunch, had the cruise control on and next thing I know, the speed ...
    ForcFed93 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Fuel pump going out?

So today I was going home on lunch, had the cruise control on and next thing I know, the speed just starts dropping. Thinking a bump or something shut down the cruise, I put my foot on the gas and it just continues to drop.

Then it seems to get power again and accelerate. So I go about another mile or two and it does it again. This time I clutch in and it just dies. While rolling at 60, I start it back up and go a little further. Does it again and this time I have to stop and it won't run. Wait for a while and it starts again. Then dies again. So after a tow home (it starts when I get it in the garage) I cycle the key to listen to the fuel pump. Mind you it was able to start itself at this point, the priming sounded more like a squeal than a hum.

I'm fairly certain it's the fuel pump, but before I dive in to that, is there anything else it could be? If it is the fuel pump, I've read it's good to upgrade to the DW300. Good idea or would the DW200 work just as well? I don't plan on getting over 500whp any time soon.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    Is the check engine light on? I believe one fuel pump code is P0230 or something. I had one go in my S10. All engine codes are the same across make and model. If the fuel pump is indeed dead it should throw a code.

Re: Fuel pump going out?

No codes at all. Forgot to include that.

Do you have a fuel pressure tester? You can pick em up at most parts stores, Sears, harbor freight, wherever. Check the pressure under the hood. I believe fuel pressure for a sick LS is between 55-62 or 64 I can't remember off hand. You may have a blockage in the line our your fuel filter could be clogged.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

It could be bad fuel or fuel filter.

07cadv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

I have the fuel pressure tester from HF. Works very well across a wide range of vehicles. Well worth the money. If I recall correctly it was less than $100. Narrows things down a good bit.

Quote Originally Posted by RyRidesMotoX View Post
    Do you have a fuel pressure tester? You can pick em up at most parts stores, Sears, harbor freight, wherever. Check the pressure under the hood. I believe fuel pressure for a sick LS is between 55-62 or 64 I can't remember off hand. You may have a blockage in the line our your fuel filter could be clogged.
    I'm pretty sure it's 58psi on the LS platform. I'll have to check with a tester once I source one. Just replaced the filter about 5k miles ago.

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    It could be bad fuel or fuel filter.
    Filter replaced about 5k miles. I filled up with this tank on Monday and have probably about 100 miles on it. Don't think it's the gas. Plus I would think if it were bad fuel, it would be more of a stutter and less of a just stop. There was no stuttering at all, it was basically like an on/off switch for my car.

Quote Originally Posted by 07cadv View Post
    I have the fuel pressure tester from HF. Works very well across a wide range of vehicles. Well worth the money. If I recall correctly it was less than $100. Narrows things down a good bit.
    I'll look in to this.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by ForcFed93 View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's 58psi on the LS platform. I'll have to check with a tester once I source one. Just replaced the filter about 5k miles ago.

Filter replaced about 5k miles. I filled up with this tank on Monday and have probably about 100 miles on it. Don't think it's the gas. Plus I would think if it were bad fuel, it would be more of a stutter and less of a just stop. There was no stuttering at all, it was basically like an on/off switch for my car.

I'll look in to this.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
    Fuel pressure spec is 55-62 psi. If you bought your gas from a reliable source, and your fuel filter has but 5k, then it likely is not the problem. However, the signature of this type of fuel filter when contaminated is an on/off switch effect at high throttle settings. Weak, but still functional, fuel pumps will typically trigger lean codes prior to total failure.

Could be that you got a bad filter as a replacement. Its happened before.

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    Fuel pressure spec is 55-62 psi. If you bought your gas from a reliable source, and your fuel filter has but 5k, then it likely is not the problem. However, the signature of this type of fuel filter when contaminated is an on/off switch effect at high throttle settings. Weak, but still functional, fuel pumps will typically trigger lean codes prior to total failure.
    It definitely wasn't at high throttle. This literally happened with my cruise control on going 65mph on the highway. Not once during the trip was I at anything even close to high throttle. Also, the behavior didn't change at all with throttle level. Whether my foot was to the floor or off completely, it wouldn't recover. It was just random.

Quote Originally Posted by RyRidesMotoX View Post
    Could be that you got a bad filter as a replacement. Its happened before.
    It was a WIX brand and it's been on the car for about 5k miles. I would've thought a bad unit would've shown problems sooner.

philistine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by ForcFed93 View Post
    So today I was going home on lunch, had the cruise control on and next thing I know, the speed just starts dropping. Thinking a bump or something shut down the cruise, I put my foot on the gas and it just continues to drop.

Then it seems to get power again and accelerate. So I go about another mile or two and it does it again. This time I clutch in and it just dies. While rolling at 60, I start it back up and go a little further. Does it again and this time I have to stop and it won't run. Wait for a while and it starts again. Then dies again. So after a tow home (it starts when I get it in the garage) I cycle the key to listen to the fuel pump. Mind you it was able to start itself at this point, the priming sounded more like a squeal than a hum.

I'm fairly certain it's the fuel pump, but before I dive in to that, is there anything else it could be? If it is the fuel pump, I've read it's good to upgrade to the DW300. Good idea or would the DW200 work just as well? I don't plan on getting over 500whp any time soon.

Thanks!
    Call it a coincidence...my fuel pump just died in my s2k. Your symptoms sound similar but I have gauges. I was getting fluctuating AFRs which gives the driver a good deal of jolting back and forth and some sputtering if you lay on the throttle. It would happen randomly and only for a few seconds at first then became more frequent. Turning the car off and back on at a redlight seemed to temporarily fix the problem. I investigated everything and even put the pump on a relay. I read through the datalogs and found nothing. It was a slow death but the damn thing just quit...like 1 hr ago when I noticed it would not prime.

Changing the fuel pump in the V is a giant PITA. If your pump is doing the same as mine, it's intermittent and a fuel gauge or AFR gauge would be the only way to catch it. Luckily mine died in the garage...primed for 2 seconds then died. Glad I wasn't in a parking lot.

I use twin DW300 in the V and just pulled the trigger on another one for the S.

Here is a link:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Got home... Garage smelled like fuel. Hopefully I didn't have the same thing going on as the guy that burnt his up.

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Check it. I did an access panel underneath the rear seat. Made my life 10x easier when i was troubleshooting my fuel pump issues.

My word of advice... go with a racetronix harness upgrade while you are there.

[2006 CTS-V - "The Vee Baby Seamus"] - 372rwhp / 361rwtq
    Pacesetters | Off Road Adapters | Cutouts | Stock Airbox | Stock Catback
    BMR AWK | CS Diff Block | Short Shifter | UMI MM | Revshift TM

No one answered on whether or not the DW200 will work for my application. I got a fuel pressure tester tonight so I'll be checking that tomorrow, though I'm sure with the smell it's definitely fuel related something so I'm trying to cover my bases in advance.

Also, checked the fuel filter thinking there was maybe a leak at that... No such luck.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.