Clutch issues
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Clutch issues in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Two days ago the clutch pedal went to the floor and wouldn't return to full up. Pulled it up with ...
    07cadv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

Clutch issues

Two days ago the clutch pedal went to the floor and wouldn't return to full up. Pulled it up with my foot and after pumping it back and forth a few times it went back to normal. Got home and checked fluid level. It was about 3/16 inch above minimum and the bellows in the cap was extended. Topped off the reservoir and pushed the cap bellow back in. Clutch worked perfect for the next two days. Coming home from work today it did the same thing. Looked in factory service manual for some symptoms. Clutch spring is good and in one piece. Level is good. Fluid looks to be in good shape although I do have a bottle of DOT4 and a turkey baster on the ready to change the fluid. Any thoughts?? Slave cylinder? Master cylinder?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

Re: Clutch issues

You have to pump the fluid through the system to replace it.

You could open the bleed screw and keep refilling the reservoir and hope you don't introduce any air.

You will end up with fluid in the bell housing also, a mess.

Get a remote bleeder. IMO

If you do, replace everything you can afford to when you install it.

Sounds like the master to me.

Just read a few older threads about the drill mod to the master cylinder hose to reduce a restriction. The issue seems to be high rpm rapid shifts. This so happens to be when my clutch pedal stayed on the floor both times. I've only got 56k on the car so I would assume the clutch is original but would like to put a better one in once this one is toast. I'm not at that point yet so no remote bleeder yet (that's what the girlfriend is for!) Once it's new clutch and flywheel time then I will replace the slave and put in a remote bleeder. I'm going to experiment with the rpm point and rapidness of the clutch pedal travel to see if that is the common denominator here. I drove it a little while ago and it was the same as usual.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by 07cadv View Post
    ... The issue seems to be high rpm rapid shifts. This so happens to be when my clutch pedal stayed on the floor both times ...
    You didn't mention this little nugget in your original post.

Yes, I recall several guys having this problem with '04 & '05 Vs back in the day, but don't think I recall this happening with an '07 and certainly not one with 56k miles ... seems they were all fairly new. Since it has never happened to me, I didn't follow all the threads till the fix was found. But, suffice to say, you're not alone.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Yea, I didn't realize it happened when accelerating hard and pushing the pedal in faster than normal until I read the other threads and started thinking about it. Going to experiment today and see what happens and when.

Drove it pretty hard today. Hard downshifts from 4th to 3rd and floored it several times. Pushed the clutch in as fast as I could. Didn't miss a beat. I'll try some more this weekend! lol

Well, it happened again yesterday. Was pulling into the garage and went to put it in 1st and the clutch pedal went to the floor. Pulled it back up with my foot, pumped it a couple times and it was back to normal. Now it seems it isn't associated with high rpm/rapid clutch pedal movement exclusively. Grrrrrrrrrrrr......

JD03Cobra is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 Platinum CTS V

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    You didn't mention this little nugget in your original post.

Since it has never happened to me, I didn't follow all the threads till the fix was found. But, suffice to say, you're not alone.
    Randy - are you saying you've done high rpm shifts in your V?

Drove it today and it was fine. Normal as could be. Hate to replace the master just to replace the clutch and slave in the near future....would like to do it all at once. I've read it may be any issue with the stock clutch and the fingers not wanting to play well with others.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Well, there is something wrong with my clutch or at a minimum the clutch actuation system. Today, while driving very mildly, the clutch pedal went to the floor 4 different times and wouldn't come back up. Pulled it back up with my foot, pumped it a couple times and it was fine for about 3 shifts and then back to the floor. Got near the house and slowed down, went to second, pushed in the clutch, gave it about 3/4's throttle and let the clutch out. Hooked up normal as could be and left some tire particles in the road. I don't think the clutch itself is the issue. Factory manual troubleshooting lists the return spring last but I think I'll replace that first just to eliminate it. I've already inspected it and it is in one piece but you know how visual inspections of springs go. Reservoir level is where I filled it to last time I had this issue so that eliminates leaks. Plus there is nothing on the garage floor. The master looks semi-easy to replace just work space issues it looks like. Obviously, for the slave to get replaced the tranny has to come out and I want to just replace everything all at once. I can't believe no one here has had the same issues. Are there any alternatives to a stock master that is an improvement in performance/durability/performance?

You may want to read this: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...nightmare.html It does not necessarily provide the answer to your issue but it does contain information that may help. My guess is that you have air in the system, need a master cylinder, a pressure plate, and/or a throw-out bearing.

Thank you for the link Sir. Lots of good info. Guess I'll completely bleed the system, several times, and see what that gets me. If that doesn't help then I'll swap the master. Anything aftermarket available that is proven to be better than factory parts? The only thing that has changed since I bought the car is warmer temps. I plan on a better clutch set up but just not at the moment. I need a new clutch in my Superduty and new tires as well. That ain't cheap!

I don't know of any aftermarket master cylinders, but then again I have not looked. I don't believe the stock unit is inadequate for most applications.

I guess I'll check on a factory price tomorrow and try to swap it this weekend. Going to try the "bleed the heck out of it with new fluid" process first and see what happens. Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.