CTS-V Pros and Cons
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, CTS-V Pros and Cons in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I'm thinking about saving up my money to buy a V. First off I have a 04 3.6l and I ...
    jackfreeman09 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6L

CTS-V Pros and Cons

I'm thinking about saving up my money to buy a V. First off I have a 04 3.6l and I love it to death. I love the styling of the car and I want to stay in the first gen if I get a V. I have read that the engine in the V's was switched from the ls7 in the 04-05 model to the ls2 in the 06-07. I could be wrong because I did just some brief research. I would use it as a summer driver on nice days. Please just tell me pros and cons of the car so I know its worth saving up for. Also if you have any main issues please tell me about them so I can know what to expect. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ctsv247 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray V

Re: CTS-V Pros and Cons

Just bought mine...love it for a daily driver. If you're looking to do clutch dump burnouts, buy a Mustang as this is not what the car was initially designed for....its a high performance luxury touring car not a hotrod. The good news is, you can turn it into a clutch dumping, gear banging hotrod it you're willing to spend 5 or 6k on polyurethane engine, transmission and rear cradle mounts and a ford 8.8 differential kit sold by Creative Steel.

If you plan on just driving the car, the clutch will be the biggest design short coming as well as the motor mounts, diff mount and the stock dual mass flywheel all of which suck and cause unwanted vibrations. These are pretty easy to address.

But like any car, it has its problems but all in all, its shouldn't be too expensive to keep running if you don't beat the crap out of it....and I average 22.5 mpg on the highway where i spend most of my time.

WasTiSLine is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V, 2013 MKT Elite Ecoboost

Well I just bought my 2006 V last month and I came from a 2007 Audi A4 Avant SLine Titanium with a 3.2 and 6mt.

The 04-05 V had the LS6 not LS7

Fit and finish - Audi by a country mile
    NVH - Audi by a country mile
    Performance - V by a astronomical mile
    Maintenance - V by a mile

My little Audi was more comfy and better quality, but the V makes up for it with all the performance cheaper cost of ownership.

This isn't to say the V isn't a nice ride. It's quite comfortable. But being tuned for performance(and mine having FG2 shocks) is rather stiff.

Mine is a daily driver year round and in Ontario winters. Manageable in the snow with decent rubber

V for victory is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V, C5 Corvette, 2013 Dodge Durnago R/T

Coming from a V6 CTS, find the best used V for the money you want to spend, look for the least amount of mods already done, motor mounts, trans mount, differential bushings are a good thing. Cat-back exhaust and headers are your choice if you want it quiet or loud. The caddy was built to be a quiet refined sports sedan so it has soft rubber mounts everywhere they could put rubber, The motor mounts are the worst design ever and fail, crack and leak fluid so poly mounts from Creative Steel, Rev-Shift or UUC are a huge plus. The stock clutch is heavy and chatters some but will last 100K miles if not abused. The same goes for the rear differential's, they have been upgraded by GM several times and their is threads on this Forum which will show you how to tell the older ones from the better latest version. Some have been known to whine under acceleration and need the fluids changed and the GM additive put in. The shifter has a long throw and is sloppy from side to side, Put a PISNUOFF, Hurst or UUC short throw shifter and Creative Steel bushings in it and it becomes a whole new car ( love my PISNUOFF). The navigation/radio buttons wear but can be replaced with new buttons inexpensively. I have owned two V1's so far, and truly love these cars. Coming from the V6 to the 400hp V8 will be an awesome upgrade, drive it and enjoy it before modifying the hell out of it. Remember this too lots of folks on here race their cars and have done loads of mods that you will never need to do if just driving it on the weekends spirited, you will get sucked in and spend loads of cash if you don't stay focused. LOL

Thanks for the replies so far guys. You can post as long/as detailed descriptions/opinions of the V as you want, I got time. I just want to know as much as I can before I invest my money in it. Thanks again for the replies, I appreciate it

fweasel is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

I've also recently purchased my V and I DD it. My only complaint that I'm currently unable to resolve is the gas mileage. I live in the city and don't get on the highway much and am lucky if I top 9mpg while not driving like I stole it.

carlson_mn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Platinum 06 CTS-V, kooks, magnaflow

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    I've also recently purchased my V and I DD it. My only complaint that I'm currently unable to resolve is the gas mileage. I live in the city and don't get on the highway much and am lucky if I top 9mpg while not driving like I stole it.
    While the V and most any other car with over 250hp does suck in the city... 9mpg might be a case of a 02 sensor reading lean or another issue. Now if I let loose I could probably manage to avg. 9mpg around the city too.

The V1 is a great car that is rough around the edges in ways that I like, and it is affordable to purchase, maintain and insure. Win win for a guy like me. It also sounds like sex with headers and catback.

Ba

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    ^^^^^You Sonnofabiotch you beat me to half of my post lololol

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    ^ Fuel economy on everything is terrible in city driving. Sitting at lights just burning money... What a waste...

I bought mine August 4, 2012... I love it.

Currently I have Stainless work 1&3/4 long tubes to 3 inch exhaust. And a Hurst short throw that pissinuoff modified to fit a first genV. I did the headers first... I wish I did the shifter first. It is awesome and I would say, that should be mid #1. The car is getting to the bottom of its value depreciation anyways... So its a decent car to modify as far as I'm concerned. Its cheap, its got a good base for modification, and its pretty comfortable. I've taken mine on a trip from San Diego, California to The Dalles, Oregon (Northern most area of Oregon)... It did like 22-28mpg depending on how hard we flogged it through the mountains, and it was really comfy the whole way. I daily drive mine 8 miles each way and its been great. The only issues I have with it is, the soft bushings that come stock. I think those are next on my list and then the rear end. I want to take it to the track in the future quite often and run this thing through the wringer so both of those are musts for my intended uses.

Also, I have an 04 with an LS6. It had about 85k on it when a valve spring broke. I got lucky and it didn't drop a valve. I put in some new OEM LS9 springs in (cam is stock) and it runs fine. New valve springs were like $70... One thing I factor into cars is maintenance cost... Man I'd love to have an Audi RS4 B7, I love LOVE that V8 they have. But if it ever broke... It would put me in the poor house. Same with the other German brands. They have better fit and finish... But to me that's not as important as me being able to drive it and being able to afford fixing it (if it breaks) so I can keep driving it.
    carlson_mn likes this.

SunsetEffler is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

I got my 07 in spring of 13 so coming up on a year now, after my first major repair bill on a 535xi I lost all taste for german engineering forever.

Overall ride quality - bmw by quite a bit, though it didn't handle as well. The caddy is still a nice ride though, very stable at high speed.
    Fit and finish - no comparison, the bimmer demolishes here.
    Style - this is subjective, but I like the caddy much better. The 08 5 series I had ended up looking way to round in my eyes
    Performance - a no comparison in the caddy's favor, this thing is a rocket
    As a plus this generation only came with a manual

Honestly my biggest gripe about the car is lack of Bluetooth and phone connectivity and the overall performance of the sound system is pretty sub-par for this segment imo. You can of course change the radio out but you have the tradeoff of losing all the dic info, which some people might not want to do.

Other gripe is the truck style parking brake (there's a special place in engineer hell for whoever made that decision) and it sucks anyway
    carlson_mn likes this.

RustyNCA is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2007 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by SunsetEffler View Post
    Honestly my biggest gripe about the car is lack of Bluetooth and phone connectivity and the overall performance of the sound system is pretty sub-par for this segment imo. You can of course change the radio out but you have the tradeoff of losing all the dic info, which some people might not want to do.

Other gripe is the truck style parking brake (there's a special place in engineer hell for whoever made that decision) and it sucks anyway
    I'm with you on those to gripes, especially the parking brake. I still find myself popping the hood at times. And lets put cupholders between the arm rest and the shifter on a manual transmission car... makes perfect sense there...
    carlson_mn and BigDaddy-V like this.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

OP, my $0.02: Get an '04/'05 with <100k miles driven by an old man. Far less likely to need a clutch, and the LS6 isn't known for consuming oil. Be prepared to do a few bushings (not all bushings HAVE to be replaced unless they're obviously bad), definitely do a PISNUOFF shifter, and enjoy the hell out of it. Good luck.
    ahahnu likes this.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

RustyNCA is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2007 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    OP, my $0.02: Get an '04/'05 with <100k miles driven by an old man. Far less likely to need a clutch, and the LS6 isn't known for consuming oil. Be prepared to do a few bushings (not all bushings HAVE to be replaced unless they're obviously bad), definitely do a PISNUOFF shifter, and enjoy the hell out of it. Good luck.
    That's what we did. Well, not from an old man though, mine was a GM corporate special event car that must have sat around for a portion of its life. Needs a rear end bushing, so that's on the list. I'm having almost as much fun driving it as our little ratrod....

Wife liked it so much, I had to go find her a CTS also....
    bxiii85 likes this.

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Pros:
    Styling is badass / better than V2
    10 year old car can still beat most cars on road
    Still turns heads after 10 years
    6 speed manual / V8 power
    Very good performance/cost ratio
    Reliable
    It's an 'Murican automobile
    Swwaaaaaade cleans up nicely
    Huge trunk (easily fits 4-5 dead hookers)

Cons:
    Wheel hop out of whiny stock diff
    stock motor mounts
    stock clutch
    archaic NAV
    shifter

All 5 of those can be fixed easily. Get a 9", new MM's, new clutch, use your phone for maps, and get a shifter from PISINUOFF.

How can I tell if the rear end bushings need to be replaced? How easy is it to change these and the motor mounts. I'm not mechanically inclined but I'm a mechanical engineer and I learn pretty fast. Also do these burn oil like my 3.6l does? Thanks for the replies guys! I appreciate it

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

The LS6 seems to burn a whole bunch less oil than the LS2. That may not be an absolute blanket statement but a LOT of guys here seemed to indicate that that's the case.

The diff bushing requires a tool to remove the old one. Yeah, you can muscle it in, but it's PITA to do. The motor mounts are a bit tricky (jacking up the motor and all) ... I'd let a pro do both IF the car you get even needs them.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.