LS2 CTS-V stabilitrack vs icy roads
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By DDS rollin a CTS
  • 1 Post By 2007-V
  • 1 Post By carlson_mn
  • 1 Post By Wingsfan4life
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, LS2 CTS-V stabilitrack vs icy roads in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Greetings. I am curious to what others have experienced with stabikitrack on a rwd vehicle. My old trans am and ...
    SunsetEffler is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

LS2 CTS-V stabilitrack vs icy roads

Greetings.

I am curious to what others have experienced with stabikitrack on a rwd vehicle. My old trans am and z28 would just stay in the garage as they simply couldn't cope with snow and ice but I'm having a different experience with my v.

Twice yesterday on the way to and from work on slushy roads my car started to get out sideways on a turn, both times the stabikitrack notification popped up on the screen and the car quickly righted itself. Granted, I was going very easy on the gas and let up immediately when I felt the rear end getting out on me, but I was very impressed.

I'll admit I know next to nothing about the system, but has anyone else had a similar experience? I can't imagine it was designed specifically for winter weather but it sure seemed to work well enough when I was out in it yesterday.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DDS rollin a CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V, 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre

Re: LS2 CTS-V stabilitrack vs icy roads

I usually press and hold the t/c button to turn off stabilitrac whenever there's snow on the ground but yeah, thats what its there for.
    carlson_mn likes this.

2007-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

With proper tires these cars actually do surprisingly well in snow/slush. Unfortunately in Texas its either ice....or ice....
    BigDaddy-V likes this.

BigDaddy-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V 04 LS6

Quote Originally Posted by 2007-V View Post
    With proper tires these cars actually do surprisingly well in snow/slush. Unfortunately in Texas its either ice....or ice....
    That is why I also have a big Z71 Burban!

BDV

repenttokyo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

I ran mine for two Canadian winters, no real issues. Very capable car in the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy-V View Post
    That is why I also have a big Z71 Burban!

BDV
    I wont say I'm a little envious.....

but I'm a little envious...

BigDaddy-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V 04 LS6

It is the wife's DD but it sure comes in handy whether it is the icy roads here or snow at our Cabin in Colorado or on the ranch outside of Austin. Handles them all very well! It is an 04 but it is still in great shape and I love it and what it does for our fam!

BDV

carlson_mn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Platinum 06 CTS-V, kooks, magnaflow

The stabilitrac system comes on like 30 times a day for me here in MN. It will do small adjustments, but if I am ever being foolish on the roads when they are crappy, it is too slow or incapable of responding in time i.e. I have done 360s merging on the freeway once last year and it's super easy to spin around if you are trying to. Basically the system will let you have a little fun which is how I like it but sometimes you've gone too far before it can help you on snow and ice with it. The V is too light and the tires too wide to be a good winter vehicle but it hasn't stranded me yet with winter tires on. A coworkers chevy lumina with all-seasons can run circles around me.
    BigDaddy-V likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy-V View Post

It is the wife's DD but it sure comes in handy whether it is the icy roads here or snow at our Cabin in Colorado or on the ranch outside of Austin. Handles them all very well! It is an 04 but it is still in great shape and I love it and what it does for our fam!

BDV
    My ladies daily is an 08 Miata....which is actually worse than the V....lol

I do miss my truck though, nothing like a 2500 Duramax for the daily commute.

SunsetEffler is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by carlson_mn View Post
    The stabilitrac system comes on like 30 times a day for me here in MN. It will do small adjustments, but if I am ever being foolish on the roads when they are crappy, it is too slow or incapable of responding in time i.e. I have done 360s merging on the freeway once last year and it's super easy to spin around if you are trying to. Basically the system will let you have a little fun which is how I like it but sometimes you've gone too far before it can help you on snow and ice with it. The V is too light and the tires too wide to be a good winter vehicle but it hasn't stranded me yet with winter tires on. A coworkers chevy lumina with all-seasons can run circles around me.
    If I lived that far north I'm sure I'd have more confidence in my winter driving skills, but down here it just doesn't happen enough to really get a lot of practice. Usually I just stay put if there's any sort of winter weather but when I do have to venture out I drive like a complete sissy. Both slides were probably less than 10mph and I immediately let off the gas.

Earlier this winter I was also able to creep over the crest of a hill while turning right from a stop (horribly designed intersection) in much worse icy conditions by barely getting on the gas and starting in second. It was a crawling process but I made it, meanwhile soccer mom in her fwd mini van starts to lose traction in the turn lane to my left, her response is to floor it, slowly drifts sideways across the flow of traffic until both the oncoming lanes are blocked. When you hear it said people in the south don't know how to drive in the snow, believe it. Of course, the roads down here are barely treated and nobody has winter tires either.

Wingsfan4life is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V Black Raven
    I wouldn't recommend driving in snow/ice...I unfortunately have been forced to drive mine the past two winters here in Mn, had snow tires last year, and all seasons this year..I would't run with stabilitrac off, but it's my preferance, they do however trac and drive very well considering the torq and HP they have..couple times I've got spooked, one was this am when I was sideways on glare ice..you will need to turn your TC off from time to time to keep the momentum on ice, just keep your speed accordingly, wide ass tires aren't the greatest in snow and slush but hey, I'm not the guy driving 20mph either..lol..my .02
    carlson_mn likes this.

Lou72 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

The V has treated me fairly well with all of the snow we've had this winter. I have a set of winter tires, but left the Conti DWS all-seasons on because they performed so well in the first snow. I turn stabilitrak off on occasion to play in the fluffy stuff, but generally drive with it on. I think the system works great as long as you aren't blasting around a corner way too fast. The car easily corrects if you are slightly past the limit, but always lets you freak out and attempt your own correction for 0.5 seconds before kicking in. Getting moving from a stop is still a pain though. Traction control will kick in 3 or 4 times before you get the car up to 10 mph.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.