Lessons Learned with the UUC
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Lessons Learned with the UUC in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I got to learn some good stuff tonight. I forget who said it, but you can do the install of ...
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Lessons Learned with the UUC

I got to learn some good stuff tonight.

I forget who said it, but you can do the install of the UUC without dropping the driveshaft. But the time you save by not dropping the shaft may not be enough to offset the time lost trying to reattach everything back together while working around the driveshaft.

When drilling out the rivets underneath the V, not only wear safety goggles(absolute must), but wear a skull cap. Or ski cap. Something that will cover your whole scalp. Even with thin hair, metal shavings suck.

Make sure you look at how the stock bushing snaps around the ball. There is a difference and can be installed upside down. Would it make much of a difference? I don't know and I didn't want to find out.

There is a foam piece that is glued to the top of the retaining plate at the base of the stalk. Reattaching that may give added noise insulation.

The rubber socket that surrounds the bottom part of the ball bushing can be reapplied to the new stalk if coaxed very gently.

When installing the 2 mounting screws at the front base of the shift assembly, make sure you align the shifter as far to the left as possible as your fastening the screws. This should help from banging the right side of the console when going into reverse.

Oh, and when removing metal shavings from your scalp, fish through slowly. Tiny shavings can still leave tiny, bloody scratches. A good hot shower helps.

The V is still up in the air awaiting the B&B and the rear FG2s before I get it on the road. S I don't have feedback on the Specter bushings and I don't have advanced feedback on the UUC. But I believe I was in the minority who thought the V shifter wasn't too bad. I do like the directness of the UUC and the proceeding through its gates. But it's still a bit notchy and not quite up to my tastes. In fact, with the notchyness, I may truthfully prefer the softer throws of the stock shifter.

But like many things, it may just get better with time.

OK, got to get to bed. I'm up at 3:45.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Re: Lessons Learned with the UUC

notchy?
    grease the ball man!! grease it, lube all the moving bits underneath...smooths it right out!

It's not the shifter, it's the rods that interact with the tranny. I didn't have the bushings lastss has.

RobzBLKV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Did you have access to a lift or do it on jack stands? What was the install time?

Mowgli is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Good writeup, thx for the info. If you did it on jackstands I may do it myself also, if a lift is a must... eh.

The rear was on Rhinos and jacked up the front. Follow the directions on the Caddy FAQ up to and including step #11. Then refer to the UUC directions. Unless you have lastss' bushings, you don't need to move the tranny. You also don't have to drop the driveshaft. But leaving it there will slow you down a little.

It really wasn't bad and didn't really take too long. Working on the shifter itself takes anywhere from 25 to 45 minutes. The bulk of time is the getting to the shifter.

VELOSE is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

After Urbanski said to grease everything, I don't think the dealer greased everything. I just had the dealer install the B&M shifter. It's notchy but it does take some getting used to. Either way, I really like it. However, I've only driven it 5 miles thru town from light to light. It was fine leaving the dealer today but, as I was getting home, the shifter began to squeek a little when moving the shifter side to side. Also, I hear what some call, "gear chatter."

Can I get rid of the squeeking and chatter with grease?

Sorry to jack your thread but my issue is related in some way.

trekster is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V R.I.P.

I remember the nice feeling of the uuc when I first got it. Now, it's notchy again.

RobzBLKV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Excellent. Thanks. Since I can't find a place I trust to install it, I guess I am going to give it a go. But I might lower the transmission.

2005V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Thanks for the write up. Please let us know your impressions once you have a few miles on it. I have been sitting on the fence for a while and I am a bit unclear on a few things.

For those of us silly enough to have purchased the Mallett unit, are enough of the stock internals still there to do a swap w/ the UUC? My understanding is that the UUC uses some of the stock parts and I am wondering what I have any left (besides a shifter w/ a shorter stalk, crappy shifts and lots of transmitted noise). Any thoughts?

RocketV is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Rob- Bring your V to Indy, and once we prove the inferiority of black when compared to Stealth Gray, we can take your car to Lingenfelter or DTE and see if they will install your shifter.

Florian is offline crushing Vs with my Wurm
    Automobile(s): 2013 GT500 - 700+ HP

the B&M as well as the Katech will both transmit gear noise as they are solid shifters. The UUC has a silicone sleeve that takes care of that issue. Worth every penny of the money spent for the quiet shifter. I threw my Katech in the garbage!

Florian

Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    the B&M as well as the Katech will both transmit gear noise as they are solid shifters. The UUC has a silicone sleeve that takes care of that issue. Worth every penny of the money spent for the quiet shifter. I threw my Katech in the garbage!

Florian
    If that is the case, I will try mine out for a little while. If it becomes that annoying, I'll make the switch and install it myself.

Thanks for the feedback Florian.

Wienk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Interesting to see that my decision to cancel my order (months ago) for the Mallett shifter and then to install the UUC shifter is being validated by so many others! Nothing against Mallett, because I think he was the pioneer in modifying the V and got all this momentum on needd mods started!

But UUC is, in my opinion, a reknown company that built its reputation on improving BMW shifters, which even in stock configuration are great! How neat is that?

That said, I have been using my UUC shifter for a couple months now and it still pleases me every time I shift. And oh yeah, I haven't missed a shift since, not even reverse, which used to drive me crazy. In case you missed my instructions on how to do the install without lowering the trans, make sure you trim the excess foam off the upper foam block where the shift stick rubs going into reverse, before reinstalling it after you install the new shifter.

I have never noticed any shifter vibration or noise, and I don't find it "notchy" either.

I have no connection to UUC, but I do endorse their product.

I drove the V some more today. The gear chatter is not as loud as I thought. It takes a little while to figure out how to not create the gear chatter. However, it does distract me sometimes. It's not a noise you want in the cabin. I can live with the B&M for now. As soon as I recover from the cost of the Maggie, I'm ordering the UUC. I hope I don't have to be a guinea pig again.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.