Brake Rotor question - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree4Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Brake Rotor question in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by 1yakini Ha... I never caught that. Thanks for pointing it out, explains why brake dust has increased ...
    69stangscj is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan, 69 Mustang Mach I

Re: Brake Rotor question

Quote Originally Posted by 1yakini View Post
    Ha... I never caught that. Thanks for pointing it out, explains why brake dust has increased quite a bit since they were put on. (slaps head)
    It doesn’t matter what way your rotors are on, unless the cooling fins in the center of the rotor are angled then they may over heat if on backwards. If they are straight like most are, is doesn’t matter, it’s just for looks.

InfrareV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 69stangscj View Post
    It doesn’t matter what way your rotors are on, unless the cooling fins in the center of the rotor are angled then they may over heat if on backwards. If they are straight like most are, is doesn’t matter, it’s just for looks.
    qft

The direction of the slots can/may be independent of the vanes. The vanes should be angled with the rotation.

69stangscj is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan, 69 Mustang Mach I

Quote Originally Posted by InfrareV View Post
    qft

The direction of the slots can/may be independent of the vanes. The vanes should be angled with the rotation.
    exactly

FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post

Slots always need to angle toward the direction of rotation. Vanes, if directional, need to be angled backwards.

Otherwise, the rotor will try to pump vital cooling air against its own rotation, and overheat.
    Agree regarding the vanes, but I've seen rotors where the slots are aligned with the vanes and it's the vanes that are critical. I've also seen slotted rotors that don't come in a left and right.

fweasel is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Cooling vanes are directional, rotor slots are not. Different manufacturers choose different directions for the slots, that, or all the sets I've purchased and installed were bad sets.

I suppose you won't be buying an Aston Martin? I've seen Ferrari's like this and other premium cars at auto show's.

Also per RacingBrake:
    Quote Originally Posted by RacingBrake
    Understand OE (Honda) or stock (aftermarket) rotors are all non-directional meaning with straight vanes, but RB upgrades and makes the rotors to directional (curved) vanes even for one piece rotor. Don?t know if you purchased one piece or two-piece rotors. However we all know the 'vane' direction is what important than 'slot' direction which is more cosmetic than any significance of performance and every mfgr / user are entitled to have their own opinion.
    As we stated in our previous answer if the rotors are non-directional or ?straight? vane you may install whatever you feel right but since RB rotors have curved vanes so you must install them as recommended.
    EDIT:
    Even better, would you buy a V2?

fweasel is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    Wrong. If you have documentation showing that a vendor thinks otherwise, please post it up so that we can never buy from them.
    Incorrect. Even the first Google hit on rotor slots, from which it appears you copied and pasted the pictures from your detailed description in post #49, states the surface slots are non directional. Busy with my kids today, so you'll have to do your own vendor research.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by InfrareV View Post
    I suppose you won't be buying an Aston Martin? I've seen Ferrari's like this and other premium cars at auto show's.

Also per RacingBrake:

EDIT:
    Even better, would you buy a V2?
    V2 rotors don't have slots.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.