Brake Rotor question - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Brake Rotor question in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; More often than not the symptoms of a warped rotor end up being uneven pad deposits. Clean and rebed the ...
    UnsafeAtAnySpd is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V, '07 SRT8 Jeep, '86 Fiero

Re: Brake Rotor question

More often than not the symptoms of a warped rotor end up being uneven pad deposits. Clean and rebed the pads first.
    darkman likes this.

Jeff James is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 V1

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    The $52 price is discounted, whereas the $134 is the MRSP dealer price of the same rotor that Rock Auto sells for $67. The dealer price is higher because the dealer is recovering the fixed costs associated with its staffed, brick & mortar facility.
    Semi true. GM charges the dealers an inflated price and most, reasonable dealers get 15-20% max. There ARE different grades of these OE vs replacement rotors, especially in the ACD line. Usually a part # is different but that has been gotten around before.

fweasel is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by UnsafeAtAnySpd View Post
    More often than not the symptoms of a warped rotor end up being uneven pad deposits. Clean and rebed the pads first.
    Yessir. Here's a good read for anyone who fears warped rotors and the boogie man

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff James View Post
    Semi true. GM charges the dealers an inflated price and most, reasonable dealers get 15-20% max. There ARE different grades of these OE vs replacement rotors, especially in the ACD line. Usually a part # is different but that has been gotten around before.
    The price dealers pay GM is roughly 50% of MSRP. What dealers charge customers depends on the transaction. Typically, dealers charge repair shop customers and most local over the counter customers full MSRP. Many dealers will discount when required to attract incremental sales that they otherwise would not get, particularly non-local customers. The prevailing price for discounted transaction nowadays is largely driven by internet sales which, for GM parts, is roughly 60-65% of MSRP. I buy parts occasionally at full MSRP from my local GM dealer as well as at discounted prices from non-local GM dealers. http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...umber=25750257

JD03Cobra is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 Platinum CTS V

Quote Originally Posted by JFensty View Post
    I have the brake motive rotors and pads. Close to 40k of spirited daily driving. No squeals and very little dust compared to others. They do have a good initial grab after warmed a little.
    I agree! I've been through a few sets of GM rotors which were great but I have been very happy with the Brake Motive rotors/pads for a daily driver. Good bite, little to no dust & and a great deal. I will get another set of these.

EscaladeDoc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Escalade- 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff James View Post
    This is correct. There is usually 3 grades of rotors. The OE GM/AC Delco rotors, AC Delco Durastop rotors and AC Delco Advantage rotors. The price of the AC Delcos are usually about 1/2 the price of the OE rotors. The same goes for brake pads depending on the model. Some of the OE pads are $130 cost but the cheap Delcos I've seen as low as $25 cost depending on the model. We usually never install anything at work but OE pads unless the customer wants something cheaper because of brake squeaks.

I ordered the Brakemotive rotors and pads for my V this week. All 4 rotors and pads for under $300 is a good deal. They have good reviews from the Camaro boys so I thought I would give them a shot.

Also, you can usually tell the better rotor because GM/AC Delco usually dips the whole rotor in a gray coating to prevent them from rusting in the box. The cheaper ones are usually just sprayed with oil and plastic bagged.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by EscaladeDoc View Post
    This is correct. There is usually 3 grades of rotors. The OE GM/AC Delco rotors, AC Delco Durastop rotors and AC Delco Advantage rotors. The price of the AC Delcos are usually about 1/2 the price of the OE rotors. The same goes for brake pads depending on the model. Some of the OE pads are $130 cost but the cheap Delcos I've seen as low as $25 cost depending on the model. We usually never install anything at work but OE pads unless the customer wants something cheaper because of brake squeaks.
    No one is suggesting that GM does not sell different grades of brake rotors as even Rock Auto lists the various grades. What I am saying however, is simply that each grade of rotor carries a different GM part number and a different AC Delco part number.

1yakini is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by UnsafeAtAnySpd View Post
    Do you have them on the correct sides?
    Ha... I never caught that. Thanks for pointing it out, explains why brake dust has increased quite a bit since they were put on. (slaps head)

ctsv247 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray V

At a brake repair training seminar we were taught that much of this brake rotor "warp" is caused by making hard stops and then just sitting there in one spot which traps heat on only one part of the rotor whick cooks the pads. I usually like to allow myself a little roll room at a stop light to allow the brake rotors to cool more evenly.

Wingsfan4life is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V Black Raven
    That's very interesting and makes a ton of sense...gonna have to remember that when I actually brake hard..

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsv247
    At a brake repair training seminar we were taught that much of this brake rotor "warp" is caused by making hard stops and then just sitting there in one spot which traps heat on only one part of the rotor whick cooks the pads.
    Yup, and when that happens, excess pad material transfers to the rotors, and you get pulsations. A few hard braking applications from highway speeds to ~20, with a few miles of driving after to allow everything to cool, usually takes care if that one.

What most people refer to as "warped" rotors is actually rotors with uneven (side to side) wear. -excessive lateral runout.

I've often heard the brake pad material argument but on the flip side of that, I've turned a lot of rotors in my day and I know for a fact it was metal I was grinding off of them to square them up.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    That's when the problem is excessive lateral runout.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    That's when the problem is excessive lateral runout.
    Excessive lateral runout....that's engineering speak for warped.

Overheated pad material makes more sense than excessive lateral runout but more times than not, i was machining metal off of brake rotors.

I only try to clarify here because invariably someone reading this will ream their mechanic for saying their rotors are warped because they read on the Internet that its pad deposits. My opinion, it could be either.

Motown Cad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 Silver V Sport Susp.

I'm glad I saw this thread. You guys have confirmed what I thought might be happening. I do have brake material evenly spaced on my RBC rotors. I also think I may have warped them. Also it's possible that the hubs are bad even tho there is no movement whatsoever (anyone ever here of this).
    So I 'm going to clean my pads (any ideas how are welcomed), test the braking and then go get my fronts lathed on the car if needed. Thoughts?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.