Cadillac Owners Forum banner

If you want to bypass the BOSE check this:

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  heavymetals 
#1 ·
I was checking out what is available for converting the BOSE to a line level.

"Clean Sweep" being the most common and SCOCHE "LOCs" another.

The LOC's use transformers (cheap ones at that) and the distortion is unbearable.

The Clean Sweep is complicated and expensive ($200+) and like the LOC's, connects to the speaker outs.

The audio from the head unit is differential (for noise) and needs to be converted to single ended.

There are only two (right and left) audio lines from the head unit with the BOSE amplifier doing all the tone and volume control (more on this) via class II to the amp.

I was turned on to a Burr Brown IC that is specific for this ($1.25!).

It required very few external parts (about 6 at less then $3.00) and two small switching power supplies ($4.00@).

The reason for the power supplies is the chip requires +/- 15 volts or 30 volts center tapped.

So, for less then $30.00 I have a convertor that kicks ass over LOC's and the CleanSweep.

The drawback is I have no control over tone or volume, just a line level pair of LOW DISTORTION audio signals (which is all I wanted in the first place).

This is no big deal as I use the Mac Mini for all audio control.

With the FREE software I have a 31 band eq(!) to adjust, so "dialing in" the sound is much better.

Here are pics of the "proof of concept".

I had to make a connector to plug into the BOSE connector as I didn't want to splice into wires.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
You have amazing talent, but everytime I read one of your audio related updates, I say to myself "self, no phucking way would I go through that!" :lol: I just installed a new double din head unit, amps and subs in the trunk, and speakers front and back. Sounds amazing and the only remnants of Blows left in the car are the two A-pillar tweeter badges.

#11 ·
Ive seen this and its pretty bad ass.. I used to think that I knew everything there was to know about our radio, but after spending a few months watching what heavy metals was doing, I dont know everything... He literally has it wired.

Im on tap for the backup camera modification... I just need to pull my radio and get it over to him!

Ive been doing other projects and real work which has kept me off this forum (I miss all the regulars!), but when I need electrical advice, there is only one guy I go to- Heavymetals. This is what he told me a few months ago when i asked him why he was stripping a wire with a special tool I had never seen. He replied "You have to use that in order to be spacecraft certified so you dont nick the wire"... WTF? he treats my crappy little project (and our V's) like spacecraft...And dont think I dont know whats been going on in this forum. I may have been gone, but heavymetals keeps me updated on the important stuff...

A few hours ago, I hit 100,000 miles on my V. Its been almost exactly 10 years since I bought the car (off by about a week) and I've loved every mile. And to celebrate when I clicked over, I was going 100 mph (on the 405 no less). The camera unfortunately sucks so it shows me going 78... :(

Here's to 100,000 more miles in my V (with some cool radio modifications now)...

Reed

#13 ·
Good work and research!

One question: <The drawback is I have no control over tone or volume>

How do you adjust volume from the dash HU then?

FWIW A few people have been adding the burr-brown bits to good old Phoenix Gold amps for the last few years as upgrades. Caps need replaced anyway so a good add-on while in surgery :)

I have a soon to be installed Audio Control LOC, which I hope is higher end than the Schoche junk.

Keep us posted! :)

#14 ·
I use the Mac Mini for all audio control.

They have free software and one app was a few bucks.

I use the Mac remote for song selection and volume control for the iTunes.

I am working on adapting it for the HU which shouldn't be too hard, just have to figure out the software hooks.

I can control the volume and tone already, just not remotely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.