For Those of You Who Have Replaced/Removed Your Full Exhaust...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, For Those of You Who Have Replaced/Removed Your Full Exhaust... in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Happy New Year everybody. So as soon as the weather breaks here in MI I will be replacing all of ...
    jeph054 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

For Those of You Who Have Replaced/Removed Your Full Exhaust...

Happy New Year everybody. So as soon as the weather breaks here in MI I will be replacing all of bushings in the rear end. I need to remove the exhaust to do this. My question is this, I just know (cuz they are rusted as @#$%) that the studs on the header downtube will snap off. Has anyone run into this problem and what was the fix? Drill out the hole and just put a bolt through? Everything is Stock on my 07 (I have about 60K miles on it )so the exhaust has never been touched before. My goal is to have all the extra parts I may need (due to breakage etc) before hand so when it comes time to do the repair, my downtime is minimized as this is my daily driver. Suggestions? Comments?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

kyle242gt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: For Those of You Who Have Replaced/Removed Your Full Exhaust...

Mine came apart pretty easily, but that's CA for you.

I'd attempt to soak with penetrating oil for a few days, smack with a hammer, crack loose, soak again, etc to see if they'll loosen up.

If they break off, you'll have to center punch and drill them out. Then just use SS through bolts instead of studs.
    Faber likes this.

fweasel is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

I was worried about the same situation. I soaked them with PB a day before I dropped the car off at the shop for trans and rear bushing work. They had no problems, even though everything had a good 50K of patina on them. I put some anti-seize on the stud threads afterwards to help with the next time.

Yeah i was going to soak the crap out of them for at least 24hrs with multiple soakings and cross my fingers. There doesn't look like much room to get a wrench on the bolt if i have to drill it out. I was also thinking of throwing some heat on the nut as well...

I asked my mechanic if they gave him any trouble. He said He used deep well impact sockets and his cordless impact gun. Spun right off.

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    I asked my mechanic if they gave him any trouble. He said He used deep well impact sockets and his cordless impact gun. Spun right off.
    I have both so maybe the same will happen for me. I am hoping it looks worse then it is. Thanks for checking.

wmouser22 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Yes, soak with PB for a couple days, reapplying daily. A little heat won't hurt either. YOU DO NOT WANT TO SNAP IT OFF AND DRILL IT OUT. Ask me how I know,,,,,, twice. And that was even after soaking them for 24 hours. I'm pretty sure Superman is made of exhaust flanges

image-2104854952.jpg
    HAMSTAR likes this.

ctsv247 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray V

Soaking with PB is great here but you may ultimately revert to the red wrench. Nothing like a little heat to get the party started just make sure you wipe off all the excess PB before firing up the torch.

Quote Originally Posted by wmouser22 View Post
    Yes, soak with PB for a couple days, reapplying daily. A little heat won't hurt either. YOU DO NOT WANT TO SNAP IT OFF AND DRILL IT OUT. Ask me how I know,,,,,, twice. And that was even after soaking them for 24 hours. I'm pretty sure Superman is made of exhaust flanges

Attachment 175490
    Wmouser22 - This is EXACTLY what I am worried about! I have worked on flange bolts before where I soaked the crap out of them with PB for like a week and they still broke. To be on the safe side I think I will do what Ctsv247 suggests by doing both PB and the Red wrench. I REEEAAALY dont want to drill them out. After all this will be the beginning of the project and that is not how I want to start it...

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master

If this was my daily driver and I needed to avoid downtime I would take it to a muffler shop before starting the project and have them remove and replace the exhaust fasteners in question. This advice, however, is based on the fact that muffler shops in my area are notoriously cheap as compared with other types of repair shops.

Becker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 black with tan V

I personally had trouble with them snapping. I got the stud removed with heat and vice grips the I tapped and cleaned the threads and used bolts. I wish I would've drilled the holes and gone with a bolt and locking nut. For the one piece stock exhaust the studs are kind of nice. But for my new setup where I have flanges before the rear diff I don't like the studs. It's easier to drop the front end of the exhaust and x pipe by removing front bolts and the rear bolt and nuts. I am afraid though that I will need to drop the exhaust and the bolts will seize or break in the threads on the cats. Debating just drilling out the holes

The Red Wrench

farsighted770 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 Cts V

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    The Red Wrench
    I've called ex girlfriends that before...

original EDIT: oh... WRENCH... well... ummm nevermind then.

EDIT again... oh boo... the board doesnt show "reason for editing"... it would have been funnier if it worked.

OP just take your time and soak em, if they fight add heat. worst case scenario it snaps just weld a length of metal to the broken bold for leverage, i've had to do that before... it sucks.

ctsv247 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray V

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    If this was my daily driver and I needed to avoid downtime I would take it to a muffler shop before starting the project and have them remove and replace the exhaust fasteners in question. This advice, however, is based on the fact that muffler shops in my area are notoriously cheap as compared with other types of repair shops.
    This theory has a lot of merit. A good muffler shop deals with this kind of stuff everyday and will have the right $100 snap-on stud extractor to do something like this quickly and affordably.

I'll go see my muffler budy to discuss this further because I DD mine as well and don't have the time to run into these issues!

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    After I snapped mine, I drove a mile down the road and had the shop install.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.