Harmonic Balancer
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Harmonic Balancer in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Harmonic Balancer walked back and starting rubbing on the engine. I have found some good write-ups on the forums containing ...
    gruvent is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Harmonic Balancer

Harmonic Balancer walked back and starting rubbing on the engine. I have found some good write-ups on the forums containing replacement tips. Here is my question: Is the ATI Super Damper still the way to go? If so, any recommendations on who has the best deal on this part?

Thanks

Pully5.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ctsv247 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray V

Re: Harmonic Balancer

Check ion the performance section eBay had ati Blems right now.

kyle242gt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

There's a few threads on this on LS1tech - some of us got the wrong bolts with our ATI blems - they sent the right ones out, but better to find out before the car's in pieces.

What's the correct part number for the LS2? I thought the 10% underdrive was ATI 917278. But I don't see that on ebay.

Chris Cornett is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V Platinum Mist
    Just got my blemished balancer just wondering if there is a way to know if the bolts are correct without having the car apart?

jclayc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

there should be 9 bolts: 6 short, 3 long. the short ones should be 3/8 and thread into the balancer and hub. The long ones should be 5/16 and pass through the balancer and hub and thread into three of the six holes in the AC pulley.

To install, I loosely assembled the balancer, hub and AC pulley off the car, then popped it in the oven at 200 degrees for like 10 minutes to expand it a bit. that allowed it to slip onto the crank a little bit so I could get my CO Speed tool started on it and tightened down a fair amount. I then torqued the 9 bolts according to the specs printed on the front of the balancer. Finally, I used the factory bolt to torque to 240-245 ft lbs (I think it was), removed the factory bolt, and then lubed up and torqued the ARP bolt to 235 ft lbs (which were the specs given with the bolt)

BTW, OTC 6667 Harmonic Balancer Puller is the puller I used and it worked fine.

ctsv247 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray V

Quote Originally Posted by jclayc View Post
    there should be 9 bolts: 6 short, 3 long. the short ones should be 3/8 and thread into the balancer and hub. The long ones should be 5/16 and pass through the balancer and hub and thread into three of the six holes in the AC pulley.

To install, I loosely assembled the balancer, hub and AC pulley off the car, then popped it in the oven at 200 degrees for like 10 minutes to expand it a bit. that allowed it to slip onto the crank a little bit so I could get my CO Speed tool started on it and tightened down a fair amount. I then torqued the 9 bolts according to the specs printed on the front of the balancer. Finally, I used the factory bolt to torque to 240-245 ft lbs (I think it was), removed the factory bolt, and then lubed up and torqued the ARP bolt to 235 ft lbs (which were the specs given with the bolt)

BTW, OTC 6667 Harmonic Balancer Puller is the puller I used and it worked fine.
    good info...thanks for posting!

I am installing this ATI dampener tonight. (First time messing with an ATI dampener). Question, Do you assemble the whole thing first then put it in the oven? It appears that the bolts that hold on the AC Pulley go thru the entire dampener. So there would be no way to install the AC pulley without putting the whole thing together before the oven? (From user jclayc It appears you put the whole thing assembled into the oven). Just wanted to make sure b4 I screw up a $400 part.

jclayc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

I put the three parts, loosely assembled, in the oven together. You could probably skip the oven step if you have an installer tool (or just a longer than stock bolt to get things started).

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

The longer bolt:
    Fastenal Bolt (for balancer install) #40768 (M16 -2.0 pitch x 120mm long)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.